Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beano! And should we eat broccoli? page 3

dacec is offline Senior Member
    To the above recipe...try also squeezing a lemon over it all and adding several cloves of sliced garlic before roasting.
    So yummy!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend told me he hated broccoli, so I didn't serve it the first year. After he tasted mine he didn't understand why he thought it was so awful.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    About broc, you can always read Dr Georgia Ede's opinion on it
    Dr. Ede is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by egrok View Post
    Also I really enjoyed that article by Dr. Ede. Thanks for sharing!
    You might also enjoy the 'Gutsense" website and the book by the same guy called "Fiber Menace".

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    There, you noted it was a commercial ...

About broc, you can always read Dr Georgia Ede's opinion on it
    Just read through it and sorry, it was more of an opinion piece than anything else.
    I didn't look at the links, but likely petri dish studies refuting petridish studies and this whole thing about the evil superpoison and then saying our bodies have no problem with it, there's an absolute s#it load of things our body takes in and throws out like that.
    After giving it an absolute whipping, at the end she concluded she really had no idea.
    Well I suppose that's one good point, at least she addmitted it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Just read through it and sorry, it was more of an opinion piece than anything else.
    I didn't look at the links, but likely petri dish studies refuting petridish studies and this whole thing about the evil superpoison and then saying our bodies have no problem with it, there's an absolute s#it load of things our body takes in and throws out like that.
    After giving it an absolute whipping, at the end she concluded she really had no idea.
    Well I suppose that's one good point, at least she addmitted it.
    Not really. She says this in the article summary:

"So, is broccoli good for you?

We really don’t know. I was unable to find any convincing clinical evidence to support the health benefits of crucifers, but I did find enough interesting scientific evidence to at least call their health benefits into question. Most humans and their ancestors have been eating vegetables for tens if not hundreds of thousands of years. Therefore, even if broccoli may be potentially harmful to us, we have likely evolved ways to minimize any damage it may cause. Case in point: although we do absorb significant amounts of sulforaphane, our cells rapidly evict it. However, individuals with chemical sensitivities, weakened immune systems, liver disease, and /or gastrointestinal problems may be more likely to experience symptoms related to the natural chemicals in certain vegetables, which are usually not suspected as potential culprits. People with hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid) may also want to consider removing cruciferous vegetables due to their potential to interfere with normal thyroid activity."

So, as I read it, saying that people with healthy digestive systems can withstand some broccoli is not the same as a ringing endorsement.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-07-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Yeah, but she say's weakened individuals may be more likely to have an issue, not they will suffer definitely, anything may happen, you may choke downing a steak, so it's hardly conclusive.

When you throw in individuals with weakened GI tract there is a whole range of good foods they can't tolerate, that doesn't make the food bad, just means they need healing, there's a difference. If she'd opened her article on that premise, then it wouldn't be an issue but she's clearly addressed it to a general audience, whom of which most likely have healthy GI tracts.

I'm merely critiquing it with the same rigor I would a piece of vegan propoganda, to me she has a significant degree of personal bias in that piece

I have read all about crucifers, my partner has thyroid disease, but after having read how all food is bad for you, you realise you do need to eat, so you drop a level and gauge the severity and risk involved.

With crucifers, I do not believe all the cure cancer hype, but I don't believe the counter argument as she has presented it,
    now the sprouted seeds, that's another story altogether, Chris Masterjohn did a good piece on those, "Bearers of the Cross" I think it was.
    Last edited by Omni; 05-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Yeah, but she say's weakened individuals may be more likely to have an issue, not they will suffer definitely, anything may happen, you may choke downing a steak, so it's hardly conclusive.

When you throw in individuals with weakened GI tract there is a whole range of good foods they can't tolerate, that doesn't make the food bad, just means they need healing, there's a difference. If she'd opened her article on that premise, then it wouldn't be an issue but she's clearly addressed it to a general audience, whom of which most likely have healthy GI tracts.

I'm merely critiquing it with the same rigor I would a piece of vegan propoganda, to me she has a significant degree of personal bias in that piece

I have read all about crucifers, my partner has thyroid disease, but after having read how all food is bad for you, you realise you do need to eat, so you drop a level and gauge the severity and risk involved.

With crucifers, I do not believe all the cure cancer hype, but I don't believe the counter argument as she has presented it,
    now the sprouted seeds, that's another story altogether, Chris Masterjohn did a good piece on those, "Bearers of the Cross" I think it was.
    I do think all of Dr Ede's work is colored by her own experiences with multiple food allergies (including many vegetables). They are definitely not her friends digestively speaking. Because of that, I think her blog does attract a lot of people with similar issues. (just from reading the comments after her posts it would seem so.) So, no, I don't think her piece was intended to be unbiased.

She also has horrible problems with avocados, coconuts and milk products, some of my keto favorites. So a reader can pick and choose from her site what is relevant to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I do think all of Dr Ede's work is colored by her own experiences with multiple food allergies (including many vegetables). They are definitely not her friends digestively speaking. Because of that, I think her blog does attract a lot of people with similar issues. (just from reading the comments after her posts it would seem so.) So, no, I don't think her piece was intended to be unbiased.

She also has horrible problems with avocados, coconuts and milk products, some of my keto favorites. So a reader can pick and choose from her site what is relevant to them.
    Yeah, I've been on a bit of a learning curve during the last few years and first thing I look for now is bias, in blogs, articles, studies everywhere, I'm getting a bit paranoid I think, well recognition is the first step to healing I suppose

egrok is offline Member
    I gave up looking for biases because EVERYBODY has bias on the internet (it seems). There's 100 different answers to each question, so now it's up to me to pick and choose what's relevant to me.

From the conversation on this marvelous forum, I'm going to try a new plan: eating only vegetables that have seeds except for mushrooms, spinach and kale because I seem to tolerate those, limit fruit to 1 serving a day. Otherwise eat LOTS OF MEAT AND FISH! I've got some liver marinating in lemon juice right now
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

egrok is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also I'm reading the gutsense website right now (is this the one you meant? Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements)
    I've read SO MANY ARTICLES since starting Paleo and still have not fixed my irregularity problem. I've come to the assumption that I'm just really efficient at breaking down food as energy.
    But I will read anyways. Maybe there is something I've yet to try.
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast