Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beano! And should we eat broccoli? page 2

mikegee2 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    there is a study for anything-whether its good or not. I try to keep my carbs as low as I can, and eat what i like. I like broccoli, but not cauliflower or Brussel sprouts. So I don't eat them. I love crayfish, hate oysters. Eating this lifestyle should be fairly simple...I think we complicate it looking for a way to change the premise of it.
    just my opinion
    mike

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon grease is the best way to eat them.

rockrunner Guest
    I eat steamed broccoli, cauliflower etc often and no beano needed...beano is for beans...if you eat beans often it may or may not help your gut adjust but in the end you will still have some gas...its just the nature of beans...some people enjoy the gas but we didn't evolve eating this kind of food so its an imperfect match.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 05-07-2013 at 08:17 AM.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Wow, thanks for posting this. I have noticed over the past few years that whenever I eat raw broccoli, I always feel sick afterward. I always thought it was just me! It doesn't happen when it's steamed though. Anyway, I pretty much just stay away from it.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Crucifers and dark greens are definitely more digestible when cooked. My acceptable list of raw veggies is fairly short--mostly low-energy fruits and roots (cucumber, bell pepper, radish, carrot)

As for palatability I think pretty much every cuisine uses vegetables as fat/salt sponges. Nothing wrong with that!
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    My boyfriend gets digestive issues from eating all crucifers, including well-cooked ones. He eats them anyway.

egrok is offline Member
    Wow, ok, some really great information here! After reading Paleobird's post, I'm starting to think that maybe the "Eat your 112 servings of vegetables a day" isn't right for everyone.

Yes I am a grown-up and can make my own decisions. I think some of you guys missed the point though. I actually really like broccoli (salted and buttered, sometimes raw), so I'm not looking for an excuse NOT to eat it. I was kind of hoping you guys would tell me I SHOULD eat it and that gas and bloating are a naturally occurring digestive process. However it seems like you guys are saying that I SHOULDN'T be eating things that give me bloat - which would probably knock down my list of acceptable foods to about 5 vegetables total, maybe less.

That being said, yes I know I have a problem with my gut bacteria and I've been trying the Candida diet to get it under control. I'll be starting the probiotic regime soon - however they recommend broccoli on the cleanse/diet, which doesn't make sense to me cause I (many people?) can't digest it - oh well.

And yes - my inquiries came from a commercial, but what's wrong with that? Not everybody complains about getting bloated from vegetables, so I was interested in why some people need to take a supplement and why others don't.

Maybe I'll just go on a meat and potatoes diet since those seem like the 2 food groups that don't give me digestive issues haha

Love the conversation guys. Very entertaining
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

egrok is offline Member
    Also I really enjoyed that article by Dr. Ede. Thanks for sharing!
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Wait, people don't like broccoli? BROCCOLI IS AMAZING. I keep 6+ bags of frozen broccoli from Whole Foods in the freezer at all times. My go-to quick dinner is a pound of ground beef and a bag of frozen broccoli thrown into a hot skillet with coconut oil or butter and cook until the beef is browned and the broccoli is crunchy and hot.

Broccoli is definitely one of my favorite foods. I'd be helpless without it.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    if you want broccoli at its finest - cut it into little bite sized peices - spread it evenly in a baking pan - the dark ones, not glass - pour some olive oil over it - put in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes -- when you see black crispies appearing its done! YUMMY! Nothing is better than roasted veggies! I make huge pans of mixed veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatos, squash, red onions, bell peppers ---- you can roast any veggie! The key is to put enough olive oil (I use light cuz I don't like the heavy olive flavor) to brown the veggies. Turn once during cooking to get browning on more than one side.

Broccoli and carrots will cook the fastest, so you can add those about 10 minutes after the others.

Roasting brings out all the natural sugars. Steaming is totally blah! after eating roasted. Try it
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast