Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Grok page

sthubbar is offline Junior Member

Fast Food Grok

Shop Now
    There seems to be little doubt that the food we consume has a significant impact on our health.

Currently listening to "Good Calorie, Bad Calories" and it seems to support much of the Grok lifestyle, especially reducing sugar and refined carbohydrates, flour and white rice in the diet.

I understand that Mark and many of the members of the grok community have some habits that are far outside what the majority of people in any Western society do. Think Vibram shoes.

Doesn't Mark somewhere say on his site that he wants to reach 10 million people with his message. That's great and I support that. How about providing some advice for people that don't live in California (where I come from) and are far from a Whole foods.

- I don't cook and have no interest/time to start cooking
    - I often have pressure to order food delivered

Is KFC chicken, maybe removing or keeping on the skin a reasonable grok food?
    How about McD double cheeseburger with bacon? Maybe remove the bun?
    How about fries, they are potatoes and no added sugar, so could be ok?
    It is clear to avoid all sodas no problem there.
    How about ice cream, I'm sure a no go on that one, though I have a hard time resisting.
    Pizza is out, I'm sure.
    So, is my only option KFC?

What fast food options are there that are grok acceptable?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    How about providing some advice for people that don't live in California (where I come from) and are far from a Whole foods.
    I'm from Australia... why would the advice be any different?
    On that note, we're more lucky here because we have more readily available whole foods, or cattle are mostly grass-fed by default, we don't use corn starch syrup, etc.

- I don't cook and have no interest/time to start cooking
    That's like saying "I want to be a tri-athlete but don't like running, tell me what else to do to get there"

Start cooking. It doesn't have to be a complex meal. There are meals that are quick and easy to prepare.

We all have pressure from everywhere to do certain things and not do certain things. We all have willpower, or the capacity to build it, when we want to achieve something.

You seem to have already made up your mind that this can't work for you and that you have to take the lazy/quick way

It's not so much Mark telling you what to eat, but how to make the best decisions. You have not read enough to be comfortable in making these decisions, otherwise you would know why fries are not healthy.
    Do some study!

Jamie Madrox is online now Senior Member
    no to everything but the mcdonalds burger sans bun. except one of their burger options, i think the angus ones, have a spice blend on them that uses soybean oil.

nothing from kfc is good as even the grilled options are doused in hydrogenated oils. same with the french fries from just about anywhere being cooked in a shitty soy/canola blend.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    No one has any power over you that you have not granted them.

The fastest food? Cook up a giant kettle of something on the weekend and dish and heat all week.

sthubbar is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe if I pose the question in a different way we can change the focus of the discussion.

For example, I spend most of my life in hotels without kitchens and don't plan to spend my few days off doing an activity I don't enjoy and furthermore trying to transport 5 days worth of food in my luggage on a flight every Monday morning.

How can I eat healthy without cooking my own food?

Paleobird Guest
    US Wellness Meats has a lot of portable primal friendly proteins like pemmican, jerky, summer sausage, liverwurst, salami, etc. all of which are delicious.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Eating healthy without cooking your own food is doable. To an extent.

Be prepared to spend more money as a result however. One of the biggest benefits to cooking your own food is that you can control what goes in it and therefore, the cost. Plus, restaurants in general just tend to charge more than the food is worth in order to keep profit margins.

However if you're willing to ditch buns, look for restaurants that source food from sustainable resources, do your best to avoid overly processed oils, you might do alright. Ask restaurants to cook your food in butter instead of oil, eat your salads naked or ask for olive oil and vinegar instead of the pre-made dressings which often are made with soy or sunflower oil. Do your research ahead of time to find which restaurants are most likely to be amenable to special requests. Also, try to learn at what restaurants you may not have to make as many "special requests" at.

Obviously, stick to water when eating out and be sure to stay plenty hydrated at all times because the amount of sodium you'll be getting from eating out is probably going to be WAY beyond the levels you need and may cause some extra water retention and bloating.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    US Wellness Meats has a lot of portable primal friendly proteins like pemmican, jerky, summer sausage, liverwurst, salami, etc. all of which are delicious.
    I was about to suggest that, except I realized he has rejected the idea of carrying his own food with him when he travels.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I was about to suggest that, except I realized he has rejected the idea of carrying his own food with him when he travels.
    Yeah but if you put a couple of hunks of protein like that in your carry on bag, then you can just order salads wherever you are and be just fine.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate the challenges of travel, but trying to wring fresh food out of a chain restaurant is like blood from a stone unfortunately. The model of a chain restaurant is to transport and sell dehydrated non-perishable items that will absolutely malnourish and toxify you no matter how "clean" it looks. I promise you they get their meat and produce from the least scrupulous suppliers they can find.

I don't know if this advice applies to where you travel but my first choice is always grocery store salad/deli bars. The quality varies but you can take your time inspecting it before you buy it. As a last resort I'll check a convenience store refrigerator for boiled eggs, cheese, carrot sticks, and fruit.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast