Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fast Food Grok page 4

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by smartuko View Post
    The meats and eggs at Subway scare me.
    Exactly! The way a chain operates just can't be reconciled with the primal sentiment. When 1000+ nationwide locations get their ingredients shipped from the same facility it will be compromised at the most basic level. At the very least I'd go to yelp and find a local restaurant as magnolia suggested.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    This cracker-jack (that is, me) loves Chinese food. It is my non-Primal weakness, worse than pizza. Sweet and sour chicken would totally be my last meal.

BUT I MANAGED TO TOTALLY NOT LIKE CHECKERS ANYMORE I discovered there was soy in the chili. Love is over.

Counts for something. I'm working on it. I bet the spicy dishes are all soy-oil based, though...

Magnolia, you are in North Carolina? I'm not so sure the burger joints here don't use "vegetable" oil in their stuff.

Probably the closest thing to "PRIMAL" take out here would be Panera. Maybe that BBQ pit...

M.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, you really have no clue what's going into your mouth when you eat fast food. You can have a better shot if you go someplace like Chipotle (which still uses soybean oil, if I recall correctly). You can have a better shot if you just order meat and lettuce, but A LOT of the time, chicken gets injected with all kinds of crap and ground beef can be a mix of stuff.

Sometimes looking at the gluten free menu can be a help (if they have one), and they're usually online. For instances, Del Taco actually has decent quality food for what it is. Their fries are probably cooked in soybean oil (like everyone else does) but there's no gluten in them. On the other hand, the chili cheese fries do have gluten. That tells me there's probably gluten in the chili. Same thing with the corn tortilla tacos - gluten - so is that in the tortilla or the meat? Not that ANY of these foods are things you should be eating, but you can see my point. I don't put flour or gluten in MY chili, so it isn't logical for me to think someone else would, but they do.

I've seen the ingredient list for KFC's grilled chicken and it's a bit... lengthy. And that's without any breading or individually listing the "7 herbs and spices" that they're so proud of.

My suggestion? Most hotel rooms have a fridge and a microwave - ask for a room with one if you need to. Run by a local market and grab a couple days worth of stuff you really should be eating and leave any leftovers in the fridge when you head home.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    There seems to be little doubt that the food we consume has a significant impact on our health.

Currently listening to "Good Calorie, Bad Calories" and it seems to support much of the Grok lifestyle, especially reducing sugar and refined carbohydrates, flour and white rice in the diet.

I understand that Mark and many of the members of the grok community have some habits that are far outside what the majority of people in any Western society do. Think Vibram shoes.

Doesn't Mark somewhere say on his site that he wants to reach 10 million people with his message. That's great and I support that. How about providing some advice for people that don't live in California (where I come from) and are far from a Whole foods.

- I don't cook and have no interest/time to start cooking
    - I often have pressure to order food delivered

Is KFC chicken, maybe removing or keeping on the skin a reasonable grok food?
    How about McD double cheeseburger with bacon? Maybe remove the bun?
    How about fries, they are potatoes and no added sugar, so could be ok?
    It is clear to avoid all sodas no problem there.
    How about ice cream, I'm sure a no go on that one, though I have a hard time resisting.
    Pizza is out, I'm sure.
    So, is my only option KFC?

What fast food options are there that are grok acceptable?
    This is one of the few times I haven't read the whole thread before responding, so sorry if this has been said.

You want it easy. You want to eat shitfood and have the community say that it's okay to do so. I live in New Orleans which is the cultural opposite of CA and it took awhile to find how to do this right here. Some things are easy and some things aren't.

No, KFC isn't okay. It's CAFO chicken fried in shit oil. Take off the skin and it's still CAFO chicken fried in shit oil. If you truly want to be primal or paleo, you'll do the work. If not, that's fine, but don't delude yourself.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe if I pose the question in a different way we can change the focus of the discussion.

For example, I spend most of my life in hotels without kitchens and don't plan to spend my few days off doing an activity I don't enjoy and furthermore trying to transport 5 days worth of food in my luggage on a flight every Monday morning.

How can I eat healthy without cooking my own food?
    In terms of food while you travel, well, sucks to be you. I guess fruit and vegetables you can eat raw like carrots would be your go-to snacks. Plus things like pemmican and beef jerky, although as a general rule I don't eat any 'food' that comes sealed in plastic (I make my own).

Eat in restaurants with gluten free options. My biggest ones would be asian, indian and steakhouses. Or hit up a supermarket and buy a cooked chicken/smoked salmon/dried meat and pair it with cheese/lettuce/tomato/avocado et al.

With that much travel, sounds like you have more problems than just the food though. What are your sleep patterns like? And your stress levels? Can you find the space for exercise?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234