Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast Food Grok page 3

sthubbar is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Fast food from a store deli : boiled eggs, salad, rottesoire chicken, premade guacamole for said salad (wholly guacamole and some brand name that starts with a c), pre chopped veggies and fruit, etc...
    OK, thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Whenever I'm on the move (in a hotel, walking for over 12h in an unfamiliar city, at uni all day...) I buy up supermarket veg, pre-cooked deli meats (choose the ones with only a bit of salt and dextrose; sugar's better than preservatives), uncooked mince, uncooked diced beef, fruit and HUGE bags of nuts (a 1kg bag is easy to transport and good for a quick fix).
    This should be easy for you, as supermarkets are hard NOT to come by and all carry those foods (bar the nuts). Just pop in and stock up for the day.
    Also, thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Before turning "primal", I was in the same boat: no interest in cooking at all, which made my wife quite annoyed and angry at times. So when she pushed me to cook something, I would make some quick pasta with a pre-made sauce, or order from a delivery company. I was SOOOO LAZY ...

When I turned my diet upside-down, I discovered a passion for simple cooking (I am not a chef in any stretch of the mind), I actually became the family cook, doing all sorts of things, mostly simple but when time allows, I try something a bit more complex. It's been 8 months and I don't even tire of it. Don't neglect a mind shift when you change your diet and only eat real whole foods.
    I accept it is possible, I'm not there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    If you can spend the time in line at a KFC then going back to your hotel and peeling off the breading, surely you have time to go to a local store to buy a chicken leg to boil or fry...it takes 10 minutes tops. Even less to shape a beef patty and cook it up.
    Boil with the hot sink water? Fry with cell phone flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    My primal fast food is sushi sushi. Theres few other options too but i feel like theyre a waste of money for the portion you get so i tend to just stick to sushi sushi for my take away fix.
    Rice is primal?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Grab apple. Eat apple.

Fast food.
    As a complete diet?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when I travel, I find a grocery store, carry coconut oil & microwavable dish & try for a hotel with a microwave. There are very good cook books for easy meals in micro. I microwave egg whites and eggs into a breakfast daily. Or steam them up in a broth.

Nuts, fresh veggies like baby carrots and baby tomatoes, chopped veggie and greens mixes and avocado topped with a can of salmon or tuna is an easy meal and costs <3x of what a restaurant will charge you. I mean, why pay someone to open a can and pour some greens from a bag onto a plate?

If I would eat out, I'd go to a steak place.

Oh, and it doesn't take skill or refrigeration: brown a few pounds of ground beef, boil 2 dozen eggs and a few lbs of potatoes. Reheat in a microwave and consume in any combination. Or break fresh eggs onto beef and potatoes and heat up in micro.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-07-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthubbar View Post
    For example, I spend most of my life in hotels without kitchens and don't plan to spend my few days off doing an activity I don't enjoy and furthermore trying to transport 5 days worth of food in my luggage on a flight every Monday morning.

How can I eat healthy without cooking my own food?
    In your case what I would recommend, assuming that having a job that makes you travel that much actually makes a lot of money, is that you save at least 50% of your salary in an IRA starting today. If you can manage more than that, even better. Start saving for your escape and get out as quickly as you possibly can. You have traded your only time on earth and your future health for money. You may wake up one day and see you got a bad trade. So make the most of it and get out while there's still time to turn your health around.

To survive now, consider eating out at grocery stores. You can get almond butter and some gourmet cheese to eat with that apple. Buy a can opener so you can eat all the canned salmon you want. It's good eaten right out of the can topped with mustard, which you should grab a few extra packets of next time you can't avoid the lure of the golden arches.

You can get salads almost anywhere. I sometimes ask for them without the dressing. I get the cobb salad so it has enough stuff on it I don't need dressing. There's an online store called minimus.biz where you can buy little packets of stuff. You could buy packets of olive oil for your salads.

Breakfast restaurants are usually a decent meal. Get the fried eggs and steak. Skip the muffins and toast. Go to a diner, not a fast-food place. Avoid scrambled because they can use powdered eggs or put pancake batter in the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    When I turned my diet upside-down, I discovered a passion for simple cooking (I am not a chef in any stretch of the mind), I actually became the family cook, doing all sorts of things, mostly simple but when time allows, I try something a bit more complex. It's been 8 months and I don't even tire of it. Don't neglect a mind shift when you change your diet and only eat real whole foods.
    Me, too. I didn't like to cook. Didn't know how. Now I know it is easier, takes hardly any time and I make stuff that is simple but so good that I'm disappointed when I go out to eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Here you go.

Water is easy to find everywhere.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    When I travel, money is an issue. I can't afford to eat at a "real restaurant" like a steak house often.

When I do a weekend trip, I carry jars of macadamia nuts, and if I find myself stuck in an in a place where I can't get a salad for less than $20 and don't have time to find a supermarket, c'est la vie. Macadamia nuts it is. But if I do find a supermarket and I'm not set up to cook, I can get salad and cheese. Maybe pre-packaged prosciutto. Diners are good options. If I do find a modestly priced Japanese restaurant and a supermarket both, I will buy gluten-free soy sauce and order sashimi, no rice, as I don't trust there not to be gluten in the rice.

If I drive, I pack a bunch of small appliances and staples in the back of my minivan. But I don't often travel to a place that is close enough to drive.

When I'm going to be gone for 5 days or longer, I pack a small rice cooker and a kettle. In the rice cooker I can stew meat with vegetables. Recipe: butter, precut meat, precut vegetables, salt. Heat, forget, and eat. Or rice, I suppose. Makes 2 meals, supper and breakfast/lunch. (The kettle is just so I can have real tea.)

I don't consider that I have really high standards. I just am not willing to risk my comfort on the trip by buying food that is likely to make me sick.

Maybe someday there will be paleo-ish options offered at common fast food places. For now, my health is more important.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Subway salads, I guess. No dressing, no oil (that is mostly canola).

M.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    The meats and eggs at Subway scare me.

CHICKEN BREAST PATTY Chicken breast with rib meat, water, seasoning (corn syrup solids, vinegar
    powder [maltodextrin, modified corn starch and tapioca starch, dried vinegar], brown sugar, salt,
    Page 3
    dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken type flavor [hydrolyzed corn gluten, autolyzed yeast
    extract, thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate]), sodium phosphates

CHICKEN BREAST STRIPS Boneless, skinless chicken breast with rib meat; water, flavor (potassium
    chloride, maltodextrin, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, gum arabic, molasses, flavors, salt, lactic acid,
    disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate, fructose, medium chain triglycerides, dextrose, succinic
    acid, vinegar solids, thiamine hydrochloride and artificial flavors), soy protein concentrate, modified
    potato starch, sodium phosphates, salt. Contains soy.

EGG OMELET PATTY (Regular): Whole Eggs, Egg Whites, Water, Nonfat Dry Milk, Premium Egg
    Blend (isolated pea product, salt, citric acid, dextrose, guar gum, xanthan gum, extractive of spice,
    propylene glycol and not more than 2% calcium silicate and glycerin to prevent caking), Soybean Oil,
    Butter Alternative (liquid and hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavors,
    beta carotene (color), TBHQ and citric acid added to protect flavor, dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
    agent added), Salt, Beta-Carotene (color). Contains eggs, milk and soy.

STEAK Seasoned Beef (Beef, Water, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate,
    Autolyzed Yeast and Hydrolyzed Corn Protein), Water, Seasoning (Sugar, Salt, Dextrose, Modified
    Corn Starch, Tomato Powder, Caramel Color, Onion, Garlic, Natural Flavors, Lemon Powder [Lemon
    Juice, Maltodextrin], citric acid). Contains soy.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Well to honest, you probably can't eat healthy without cooking it yourself.
    For primal, you're probably out of luck.
    But you can still eliminate the damage from wheat gluten and other grains.

Salads at Subway -- or eat it without the bun.
    French Fries have just too much bad oil. McD's has enough salad-type stuff that you might get by.
    Doesn't Wendy's have baked potatoes? But for the love of god stay away from the Wendy's cheese (it makes me nauseous).
    I admit, I cheat at Boston Market a lot.

How about canned fish? Can you find salmon or sushi (with rice) and microwave a single-serving bag of frozen vegetables?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Smartuko, I feel you. My S.O. works at Subway. When we moved quarters, she got us a number of boxes from her store for our stuff. The whole move I got to see just what was in the everything :/

M.

EDIT: Interesting how the pre-cut chicken breast and the chicken breast are two different things, ingredients wise.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Eat locally. We have a local burger place with grilled burgers. For about $5.95, you can get 1/3 lb grilled burger and some lettuce and tomato that is not basted in soy oil. I hate chinese food, but you can always get steamed veggies and meat prepared without oil. NC Barbeque places rock. You can get heap of pork for $5 or $6 and might end up with a side or two that is fully primal. Breakfast places will cook you eggs in butter, throw in a fruit cup and some bacon.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast