Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you slip up... page

firetiger is offline Senior Member

When you slip up...

Shop Now
    Hey guys! I've been about a month primal & a week or so on a fairly strict version with higher fats (yum) & only carbs from veggies, fruits & occasional nuts/dark chocolate. I had been doing so well...Then today my friend's German guest gave me a gift of German chocolate & beer as a token of her appreciation. It's not the instance where you say no thank you...that would be beyond rude. I accepted it & could not resist the chocolate. I had to try it & it was heavenly. Then I ate the whole bar because I am a sugar addict.

I have a few questions/need some advice:

1) How do you recover from slip-ups? I am trying not to beat myself up about it but it's hard...

2) Do I adjust my total carbs for the day or just continue to eat regularly? I want to minimize the effect but the idea of cutting vegetables (which are carbs) seems silly...

3) How can I kick my serious sugar addiction? If I am too strict then the moment I have the opportunity to eat something sweet I will devour it. I have no problems saying no to other savory types of foods but sugar/sweets are totally different. I don't keep them in the house but my friends already think I'm crazy & don't get it & will offer me things to be polite...

Thanks!
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Opinions are really divided on this but I find the best defense against temptation to be... glucose. The more tubers, squash, chestnuts, green plantains and other fruit I eat the more indifferent I become to that stuff, and I certainly don't suffer mood swings or weight gain by doing so. Excessive restriction just makes food more exotic and powerful IMO.

As for slipups, I'd just make a brief note about future circumstances to avoid (mine = drinking at potlucks) then move on. The sin-and-repent head trip is no road to health.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't change a thing because of one chocolate ... Eat normally again, leave out more added sugar.

The stress is actually worse for you than the chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    The stress is actually worse for you than the chocolate.
    This is such a good point & so true. I am more worried about this sugar addiction in the future. I know that similar social situations will present themselves...

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I just move on. I am nowhere near 100% primal, but I figure I have learnt many good eating habits from it, and eat better than 90% of the population. No point stressing out over it Others may disagree and say 100% primal or bust, but for me it just isn't realistic at the moment.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I would just continue to eat normally and don't beat yourself up about it. I spent a lot of time trying to be "perfect primal" or "perfect paleo" and beat myself up a lot for the slips that I had. In retrospect, it just wasn't worth beating myself up over, and I agree the stress we put on ourselves is worse for us than the slip up. I still struggle with this, but have gotten much better with it the longer I have been eating this way.

Someone once said to me, "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" and I think that is true and makes a lot of sense.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    This is why Mark cites the 80/20 rule in the book. Don't fret it, and just move on. Remember, this is not a DIET, it is a lifestyle change, and stuff happens. Enjoy the chocolate, and don't worry, be Grokky:-)
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Lauri is offline Junior Member
    I never thought about it before, but my nightly glass of wine isn't 100% primal/paleo, that occasional banana, eating (the entire cheese plate) at a party because it's better than the chips and crackers, having a hard cider when we go to a brewpub...these aren't 100% primal/paleo. I don't think of it as cheating, but as doing what I can given the circumstances.

As for being a sugar addict - I find laying off the so-called safe starches has helped me. Carrots and and winter squash make me crave sugary foods. I find myself looking for an excuse to eat a banana or lots and lots of berries a day after I've eat sweet potato fries. Just because a food is considered primal/paleo doesn't mean that it's good for me.

Good luck, and move on.

heatherp is offline Senior Member
    "don't let perfect be the enemy of good"

This is one of the best mottos! Stressing about the occasional slip-up certainly wont help, and bring in more emotion than is needed. We all end up faileo rather than paleo at times, but just acknowledge it and move on.

You're better off to identify the triggers (like picklepete) and have a plan... if I'm gifted non-paleo food items, then before I get tempted, I take them into work (all of whom think my eating is hilarious). If its a social event, I try and snack on paleo goodies beforehand so I'm not tempted to stray when the hanger starts in.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Someone once said to me, "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" and I think that is true and makes a lot of sense.
    I think I might make this my new mantra. I am a terrible perfectionist...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast