Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sub for mayo page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Fresh green peas and green beans. Because those are fresh green foods and have not gone through the process of ripening and drying that imparts the phytates ans lectins.

Pea protein is not a fresh green food though, nor derived from it.
    It's from ripe, dried peas... essentially the same as dried beans.
    Thank you, cori.
    Are Peas and Green Beans Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    just in case anyone really cares about peas that much.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Raunchy - Ditch it. I like using tapenades, eggplant purees, sun-dried tomatoes, etc to "spice" things up

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Pea protein is not a fresh green food though, nor derived from it.
    It's from ripe, dried peas... essentially the same as dried beans.
    That's what I said. Peas and string beans. Nothing about pea protein being Primal. Paleobird said peas aren't Primal; I corrected her.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    That's what I said. Peas and string beans. Nothing about pea protein being Primal. Paleobird said peas aren't Primal; I corrected her.
    Sorry.
    The way I read your post it sounded like you were saying that since the green peas were given a pass that pea protein had a pass too.

I apologize if we were going in circles there because of the vein of the conversation.
    Person asked about pea protein, response Mark OK's peas and other response Peas are legumes thus not OK...
    I just wanted to make the distinction clear between the fresh green peas and dried peas/pea protein for the OP and others who might not be aware... if they decide to stay in keeping with "primal" of course.
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    A thousand pardons, j3nn. How I should have phrased it is that the peas used in pea protein are not Primal. Mea culpa if I didn't make that clear.

When did this become the peas thread?

Just to rectify it... again...

Make some homemade duck fat MAYO(with cultured whey). *drool*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Another reason to avoid all conventional "vegetable" oils (soy, corn, AND canola also) is that if they are not organic, they could contain a lot of pesticides, particularly Roundup which is used on most of the GMO plants that produce most of those oils. In most stores it is easy to find organic coconut oil, usually right next to the regular coconut oil. Try finding organic soy, corn, or canola oil. Pretty much impossible; because nearly all of what is grown is already Roundup Ready (c). It is important to avoid conventional oils because of pesticide content as much if not more so than PUFA content...

a pretty comprehensive review of research into Roundup and multiple potential routes by which it could be damaging everyone's health: Entropy | Free Full-Text | Glyphosate
    (30 page text in pdf form with 286 references, discusses links to obesity as well)

mayo is very easy to make yourself; you can use a hand blender to mix one egg + 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil or so, with a tsp or so of either vinegar or lemon juice, and you can add in any flavoring you like. some that I made that had probably too much lemon juice, and made with bacon fat, lasted well over a month with no spoilage. (also, the bacon fat makes it very thick when cold) Or use light olive oil, I don't think Monsanto makes a Roundup Ready olive tree yet as far as I know, but I could be wrong...
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    mayo is very easy to make yourself; you can use a hand blender to mix one egg + 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil or so, with a tsp or so of either vinegar or lemon juice, and you can add in any flavoring you like. some that I made that had probably too much lemon juice, and made with bacon fat, lasted well over a month with no spoilage. (also, the bacon fat makes it very thick when cold) Or use light olive oil, I don't think Monsanto makes a Roundup Ready olive tree yet as far as I know, but I could be wrong...
    The vinegar/lemon juice addition is like the whey addition... except that the whey, has active cultures in it. It helps your Mayo stay good longer too.
    Brilliant stuff.
    A spoon full of whey is easy to get, just spoon out your plain yogurt leaving a deep hole in the middle of the tub, the liquid that collects there is what you want.

Here is a link.
    Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise
    Lacto-fermented mayo is fab!
    And no harder to make than regular mayo.
    Plus it keeps for a really long time compared to other homemade mayo.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Raskalnikov92 is offline Junior Member
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for showing me where to post properly Little Vase

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    The vinegar/lemon juice addition is like the whey addition... except that the whey, has active cultures in it. It helps your Mayo stay good longer too.
    Brilliant stuff.
    A spoon full of whey is easy to get, just spoon out your plain yogurt leaving a deep hole in the middle of the tub, the liquid that collects there is what you want.

Here is a link.
    Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise
    Lacto-fermented mayo is fab!
    And no harder to make than regular mayo.
    Plus it keeps for a really long time compared to other homemade mayo.
    ah yea, all of those things (vinegar, citrus, whey) are acidic; the whey having the bonus of good bacteria that will hopefully out-compete any bad ones that get in there; one reason I think my last mayo batch stayed good so long is that all the lemon juice lowers the pH a LOT (lemon juice is VERY acidic), which greatly inhibits bad bacterial growth. similar to the why, which contains bacteria which like acid, such as acidophilus (literally, acid-lover in latin), which creates it's own acidic environment.

TMI of the day: lactobacillus acidophilus is also the type of bacteria that lives in the vagina; you can cure your own BV or yeast infection with an acidophilus capsule, no prescription antibiotics needed.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast