Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make their own sunscreen? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Does anyone make their own sunscreen?

Primal Fuel
    I'm thinking of giving it a try. I found this article here by someone in Hawaii who does it and says all the surfers there do. Here's her post:

I live in Hawaii, so one does get sticky, icky, irritated, and sunburned quite easily. Especially if you're prone to it like I am. I have gotten the worst rashes in my underarms and sometimes around the "area" because of the environment. I apply diaper rash cream after my nightly shower to these areas and it helps to keep the irritation down.

I also use diaper rash cream as part of my homemade sunscreen. Many of the surfer's here make their own sunscreen and I decided to make up my own recipe. It consists of:
    1/4 cup Diaper Rash Cream
    1 tbsp Coconut Oil
    1 tbsp Cocoa Butter
    1 tbsp Aloe Vera Gel
    1 tsp Sesame Oil
    1 tsp Beeswax
    I put them all in a ceramic bowl that's set in some boiling water and melt all the ingredients together. I like a shine on my skin at the beach and this gives me that "glow" even though it fades a bit half an hour after applying. I've never gotten burned using this and I like it because it's all physical block instead of chemical since I'm allergic to most chemical sunscreens. It's not waterproof in the typical sense. But the beeswax makes it more water resistance. You should be reapplying any sunscreen every 3-4 hours anyways, so reapply after a swim wasn't a bit deal for me.
    More here: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...p?itemid=73527
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

darsenault5 is offline Junior Member
    This sounds really cool!

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    that's too much shit, you only need alcohol(optional), coconut oil, aloe vera(again, optional) and most importantly zinc oxide, more zinc oxide = more spf. zinc oxide is the only thing proven to actually protect against damage from the suns UV rays.

I slather this crap on every single day in order to protect my beautiful skin from the sun. I try to avoid sunlight as much as possible, to prevent premature aging, but it's not always possible, unfortunately...
    nihil

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    that's too much shit, you only need alcohol(optional), coconut oil, aloe vera(again, optional) and most importantly zinc oxide, more zinc oxide = more spf. zinc oxide is the only thing proven to actually protect against damage from the suns UV rays.

I slather this crap on every single day in order to protect my beautiful skin from the sun. I try to avoid sunlight as much as possible, to prevent premature aging, but it's not always possible, unfortunately...
    Yeah, I'm like you. I avoid the sun like the plague to prevent premature aging. I wake up at 5:15 to go to Crossfit (on days where running outside is a possibility--basically the non-weight-focused days) in order to avoid being exposed to too much sun during the runs. I also bring long-sleeved UV-protective shirts and a UV-protective cap. AND I buy sunscreen from Mercola. Just zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. It makes your skin look white, but it's better than the chemical crap that can actually accelerate aging rather than prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Yeah, I'm like you. I avoid the sun like the plague to prevent premature aging. I wake up at 5:15 to go to Crossfit (on days where running outside is a possibility--basically the non-weight-focused days) in order to avoid being exposed to too much sun during the runs. I also bring long-sleeved UV-protective shirts and a UV-protective cap. AND I buy sunscreen from Mercola. Just zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. It makes your skin look white, but it's better than the chemical crap that can actually accelerate aging rather than prevent it.
    Great posts - thank you!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    The recipe calls for diaper cream, where the main ingredient is zinc oxide.

You'll want to get the finest powder that you can, and a simple way to do it is just take your favorite natural lotion and blend it with zinc oxide powder

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why would you want to do that when there are so many excellent sunscreen options, both physical and chemical, available on the market?

I imagine ordering that stuff and paying for shipping, etc would cost more in the end and not be as cosmetically elegant as store-bought options.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    hmmm... doesn't blocking the sun stop vitamin D production? and would grok wear sunscreen? (both are rhetorical questions)

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    hmmm... doesn't blocking the sun stop vitamin D production? and would grok wear sunscreen? (both are rhetorical questions)
    I don't believe in Grok. Life began in 1981

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Why would you want to do that when there are so many excellent sunscreen options, both physical and chemical, available on the market?

I imagine ordering that stuff and paying for shipping, etc would cost more in the end and not be as cosmetically elegant as store-bought options.
    Options, options! Plus the store bought stuff has a billion weird ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    The recipe calls for diaper cream, where the main ingredient is zinc oxide.

You'll want to get the finest powder that you can, and a simple way to do it is just take your favorite natural lotion and blend it with zinc oxide powder
    Cool! How do you determine the concentration?

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast