Thread: Dakini's It's a journey and a destination! journey

Dakini's It's a journey and a destination! journey

Shop Now
    I figured I should start one of these to keep myself accountable. I have been dabbling with Primal for a little bit, but am now actually trying it out fairly strictly. I have a daughter that's 20 months old and she's on the journey with me. For her, I'm looking at it as a way to teach her better eating habits, and she's doing well (eats better than her cousins for the most part).

It's been almost a week since I've had Pepsi (a weakness for me) and the same for breads and pasta. It's been hard, but I'm managing it. I swear I have the low-carb flu, but I'm trying to eat protein and fat when I'm feeling light headed and weak, and it's been helping, when I can. (It's hard when you work full-time and don't always bring the right snacks.) I've been having salads at lunch, though I have to get better at the dressings. I've been experimenting and some have worked, and some have not.

So far, what have I seen? I'll say I started a week ago. I'm definitely feeling the low-carb flu - light headedness, tired, loss of concentration. But, I'm also sleeping better at night, and feel full longer. In fact I can not eat breakfast and be fine most days until lunch. Not today, but a lot of the days (I've never been a big breakfast eater, but then usually got hungry around 10 in the morning) I can go until noon. The past two days though I have noticed that I'm getting hungry earlier, but then the low carb flu symptoms are worse, so I'm contributing it to that.

We'll see how it goes. I really want this to work as I have quite a few pounds to loss (not sure exactly as I don't own a scale) - probably about 50. And I want to feel healthier so that I run around more with my daughter, I want her to grow up without the same issues about weight and food that I did, and I want to be here for years for her. I'm not going so much for weight as fit of clothes. I'm currently in about a 12-14 (depending on brand), and would love to get to a 4, but even a 6 would be fantastic.

Sorry if this is a little rambling - brain is foggy today. I'm hoping to clear it up with some tea and meat.

Should add that my tummy pouch is getting smaller...it's not scientific, but it's getting smaller!

And I've decided I have to grocery shopping after I clean out my fridge. And pantry. I need to have more veggies on hand, and I have to figure out how to stop my fridge from freezing them (ever had frozen lettuce? Gross!).

After lunch (not so healthy salad) I'm feeling better, not so low-carb flu. I guess I need to eat some regular meals, and I'm thinking the salad dressing had some sugar in it. Boo. At least it's still better than what i was eating a week ago.

Ugh. So not a healthy supper. I'm hoping I will have my daughter out of the house for an hour or two tomorrow night and I can clean out the fridge. And cook a primal meal with leftovers. I know one reason I'm not feeling the flu-like symptoms is that I ate some carbs. Sigh. Tomorrow is another day, and even eating 75% primal I've noticed a difference. And cutting out a lot of processed foods and carbs is still a step in the right direction. This is a journey to good health, and a destination all at the same time. Right now I've just started the journey, the destination is a ways off, but the journey is a learning experience. Good experiences and bad experiences all make up our journies. All I can do is do better. And the (admiddedly) smal results I've seen just tells me I have to work harder.

This weekend I did really good, except for at a bridal shower. I had some dessert because it was my favourite. Well...I'm not doing that again. I got an instant headache and felt really bad, and it didn't taste that great either (too sweet). Just convinced me that it's not worth it, especially as I didn't really enjoy it.

Why oh why do I do it? I had pasta last night. I knew I shouldn't, but there was nothing else (I wasn't at home). And today I feel horrible. I feel like I have a hangover. But, after some tea and Tylenol, I am feeling better. And as much as I wish I could go get bacon and eggs, that's not happening - no cash in the wallet! lol IF until lunch it is then. While Sunday I learnt sugar is not good for me anymore, I now learnt that pasta isn't either. Next time, I'll eat what I can and leave all pasta. Another lesson learnt.

Shop Now
    Had a mostly good weekend. IF on Sunday because my little girl was sick, and then ate 3 hamburgers (no buns) and veggies. But I also had Pepsi 8( But still feeling ok. Not doing it again though. And Monday I ate most of a whole roast chicken (baby girl had some too).

Today's been good - IF til lunch, other than tea, and homemade beef stew (didn't have the bannock). Pretty good. Just have to figure out dinner though - cleaned out my fridge and don't have a lot anymore. LOL I'll figure something out.