Thread: Lower back sprain page

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member

Lower back sprain

Primal Fuel
    I pulled a muscle in my lower back deadlifting last week. Tried to get in one more rep and lost form....bad idea. I haven't worked out for a week besides some walking! Still a little bit of an ache in lower back but feel like I need to get back into the gym and do something.

My routine last few weeks has been stronglifts 5x5, 3 x week for lifting; 2-3 days of 45-min easy bike riding with some sprints thrown in; and 1-2 days of easy 30-min swims. I would like to do some sort of weightlifting while my back fully recovers, without doing more damage. I realize I can't go heavy for a while, and things like squats and deadlifts are out for some time (my 2 favorite things). Chiropractor said I can get back to lifting but no bending/twisting. Not really sure what I should do. Light and high rep arms/chest for the next couple weeks? GASP! Do I even dare do any leg work on machines? Help! Any suggestions?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well technically deadlift isn't a bend or a twist as you should be keeping your spine relatively neutral .

It really all depends on the severity of your injury. Talk to your Chiropractor a bit more about the rehab time frame. I'm in this field so I know it can vary quite a lot. Really you could be practicing the motions with high rep and zero to very light weight almost immediately if you have your full range of motion restored without much pain.

Back injuries suck. Make sure you take the time necessary to heal and strengthen.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well technically deadlift isn't a bend or a twist as you should be keeping your spine relatively neutral .

It really all depends on the severity of your injury. Talk to your Chiropractor a bit more about the rehab time frame. I'm in this field so I know it can vary quite a lot. Really you could be practicing the motions with high rep and zero to very light weight almost immediately if you have your full range of motion restored without much pain.

Back injuries suck. Make sure you take the time necessary to heal and strengthen.
    I have been doing bodyweight deadlift motion..as well as squats More so meant these with any good amount of weight for awhile - or until I feel I'm 100% healed.

Guess my main concern is healing as fast as possible without having to stop lifting all together. Don't want to assume it's ok to shoulder press what I was because my back is neutral, and BAM out goes the back mid-left.

Longevity is offline Member
    Acupuncture, and chiro right after!

omnomnivore is offline Junior Member
    I don't know... my advice would be to err on the side of caution. It depends on how badly you injured yourself. I also recently injured my back, felt better after a few days so I went about normal activities. I then hurt it a second time much worse. I went to the doctor and he told me that it can take the muscle 2-3 months to fully heal, despite the fact that you may feel better much sooner than that. Now I'm forcing myself to wait at least six weeks before continuing any form of weight training. It sucks, but not being able to move or work sucks more, not to mention repeated injuries can't be good for you long term.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am 10 weeks past a really bad lower back strain. I still get that intermittent weakness feeling when exercising and my body feels a little beat up.

I started at about 30% in week 3 and upped the intensity of my training by about 10% every week. I am now working out at near 100% but still being quite careful about the exercises i do.

I know I have a dodgy back and have for years. the only time it was good was when I was kettlebelling 2/3 times a week. Before I pulled my back I had not kettlebelled regularly for about 2/3 months so I put it down to that.

good luck in your recovery,. i know how bad it can be!
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life