Thread: Cross-country road trip - seeking ideas! page

Cross-country road trip - seeking ideas!

Shop Now
    Hello all! At the end of May, I will be driving from Chicago, Illinois, to San Francisco, California on I-80. I'm looking for ideas of things to do along the way (places to eat, explore, etc.). Does anyone have any ideas or resources for me to check to plan the trip? I'm up for doing nearly anything on this adventure.

Help very much appreciated! Thanks!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    See Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Bring a cooler so you can eat healthy. Bring a sleeping bag and tent so you can stay in inexpensive forest service campgrounds rather than expensive hotels. Have a fun trip.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Thanks, sbhikes! Do you know where I can find a list of forest service campgrounds, or an interactive map, or something similar? Or are they at every national park and I just need to find the ones on my route?

Paleobird Guest
    U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America

If you are going to go to more than two national parks, it is worth it to buy a year pass.

Beautiful. You ladies are awesome.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I really like to travel multi-state with a basic road atlas. You can see the national forests and sometimes some of the campgrounds on the road atlas. You will likely have to leave the interstate to get to them. The BLM also has campsites and often they're in really interesting areas that you wouldn't realize are interesting until you are there. I do really super simple camping if I'm on a road trip. Just park the car, roll out the sleeping bag and go to sleep. Maybe pitch a tent, maybe not. Then get up in the morning before sunup and try to get somewhere with a good breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

That's basically what I have in mind for camping. And try to find a grocery store or farmer's market to keep my cooler stocked with goodness

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    That's basically what I have in mind for camping. And try to find a grocery store or farmer's market to keep my cooler stocked with goodness
    I have a cooler that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car that came in very handy when my dog and I have done cross country road trips.