Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this reverse hypothyroidism without medication? page

Nonni is offline Junior Member

Can this reverse hypothyroidism without medication?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband is convinced I have hypothyroidism. Over the years, I've tried every conventional "diet" out there and I've never lost any weight. My daughter (a petite little thing) and I traveled together for a week once and she ate twice as much as I did. I never lose nor gain weight. And that has been the case since I started eating primal two weeks ago. The only non-primal things I've ingested were a cocktail and an ice cream cone (soft serve - last night - yum!). No gain. No loss. I really don't want to go the pharmaceutical route. Anyone have any experience with this????

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Do you have any symptoms of hypothyroidism? Have you ever talked to a doctor about this? There are more "natural" ways of treating it, with supplements instead of prescriptions, but you still (likely) need to take something.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Your post leaves me with questions:
    1. How old are you?
    2. Do you need to lose weight?
    3. What are your symptoms that having you thinking about thyroid disease? Hypothyroidism: Symptoms and Treatments of Hypothyroid Disease - Part 1: Introduction, Causes, and Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
    4. When's the last time you've had a physical and have you been tested for thyroid issues?
    5. How's your blood sugar levels?

Things that can inhibit thyroid function and/or hormones:
    1. Anemia, including low ferritin
    2. Low vitamin D
    3. Inadequate selenium-- 200mcg/day
    4. Too low calories and/or carbs
    5. Stress--including over exercising
    6. Soy

All that being said, you are just starting primal. You need to give it time.. It is a lifestyle, not a quick weight loss diet.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the above posters. You should get a medical opinion before assuming that you have this or that. You've only been doing this for 2 weeks, give it time. This isn't a crash diet.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Nonni is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all. I'm 52 and about 75 pounds overweight. I've been complaining to my doctor for years who keeps saying my numbers are all within normal range. But nothing ever changes. I have two close friends who were told the same thing, but when they went to an endocrinologist - who tested further - they were placed on thyroid medications with good results. I've got an appointment with their endocrinologist next month. I'd just like to know if anyone else has had the experience of things changing with this way of eating. I'm not eating primal just to lose weight. My husband and I have been moving towards this for years and came across this when looking for low carb recipes. We only eat whole, organic foods, buy our beef from a friend who raises them, and are physically active. If this alone can make a difference, I'd like to forgo any medication that might be offered...and at least be armed with more information for the appointment.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonni View Post
    Thank you all. I'm 52 and about 75 pounds overweight. I've been complaining to my doctor for years who keeps saying my numbers are all within normal range. But nothing ever changes. I have two close friends who were told the same thing, but when they went to an endocrinologist - who tested further - they were placed on thyroid medications with good results. I've got an appointment with their endocrinologist next month. I'd just like to know if anyone else has had the experience of things changing with this way of eating. I'm not eating primal just to lose weight. My husband and I have been moving towards this for years and came across this when looking for low carb recipes. We only eat whole, organic foods, buy our beef from a friend who raises them, and are physically active. If this alone can make a difference, I'd like to forgo any medication that might be offered...and at least be armed with more information for the appointment.
    Menopause or perimenopause can also make losing weight difficult. I had to get thyroid hormones as well as female sex hormones optimized before I was able to lose weight. Even after I was hormonally optimized my body needed time to heal from the lack of hormones before my weight moved.

Do you have copies of your test results?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonni View Post
    What does your doctor use as "normal" in his labs? Many docs still use outdated lab figures such as 4.5 or 5.0 TSH as normal when in fact anything over 2.0 is a problem. They should also be checking your Vit D (nearly always low in people with thyroid problems) and they should check for Free T3, Free T4 and Thyroid Antibodies.

My doc ignored my thyroid problems for 9 YEARS, including refusing to test me the last several years even though I offered to pay cash. Another doctor (my gyno, of all people) diagnosed me with hypothryoid. My old GP wanted me to rush down to get put on Synthroid but I decided that if he couldn't understand the symptoms enough to spot hypothyroidism in a case as extreme as mine was, he had no business treating it. I switched docs, who through further testing determined I have Hashimotos, the autoimmune disease that causes hypothyroidism.

Like you, I was overweight and simply could NOT lose weight. I wasn't able to lose weight until I started thyroid treatment. I'm taking Naturethroid, a natural desiccated thyroid, as I decided I preferred that route to Synthroid for my treatment.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Baconista is offline Junior Member
    I am hypothyroid. I found out because My hubby and I were trying to get pregnant and it wasn't happening. I had child before so we started trying to figure out what was wrong. I had all of the blood work done through my MD and my thyroid numbers came back fine. 6 months later I went to see Dr. Cal Streeter DO and he asked me a bunch of questions about how I felt and then wanted me to take my temp three times a day... once before rising, at noon and I think at three pm. My temp never went above 98.0. That coupled with my symptoms was enough for him to place me on Armour Thyroid (natural not pharma crud). We had to adjust the dosage a bit, but within a few months I was feeling better and pregnant! My temp was and is at 98.6 on average. Dr. Streeter says that it is important to look at the whole picture instead of just focusing on lab results only.

I have done every diet know to man;-) Eating primal is great and gives me energy, but has not 'cured' my hypothyroidism. What is helping me is the iodine supplement I take. I think I am pretty close to stopping the med I am on. If you have any questions you can send me a message. Have a great evening~
    Last edited by Baconista; 05-07-2013 at 03:27 AM.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quitting caffeine and good quality coconut oil can really give your thyroid a boost.

SeattleSlim is offline Member
    Agreed about the differences in "normal" range. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 7 years ago, and at the time my HMO said anything below 5.0 was normal; now, my doctor agrees that TSH of 1-2 is optimal. You should also make sure they are testing you for Hashimoto's antibodies, T3, T4, the whole bit, not just TSH.

Your visit with the endocrinologist should give you some answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast