Page 587 of 621 FirstFirst ... 87487537577585586587588589597 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,870 of 6208

Thread: Naiadknight's chronicles page 587

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have trouble with the "deity as a friend" idea. I'm sure a large part of it is growing up Episcopalian, where God is to be revered and loved, but not embraced as a friend.
    I've also made and lost so many friends over the years that I'm hesitant to make friends with a deity that could up and vanish on a whim. Abandonment is a very real fear in my world, one of my deepest, darkest worries.
    And those are excuses, aren't they?
    When it comes down to it, I'm afraid to start praying again. I'm afraid something might actually hear me. I've struggled and fought and wandered my whole life, to have things suddenly just start working out for me makes me nervous.
    Fear is the little death, the mind-killer.
    Fear is what keeps you from jumping off the cliff.
    I'm so fucked up, it's no wonder the only god to hear me seems to be Loki.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

geostump is offline Senior Member
    During my years of being agnostic(ages 10-33) I prayed to whoever I thought would listen. I got kicked out of a youth group like you did for questioning God's existence. I was a lot like you, couldn't get past the idea of just having "faith" in something. For me, it took having kids and losing my mom to believe that I could believe in faith.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I have trouble with the "deity as a friend" idea. I'm sure a large part of it is growing up Episcopalian, where God is to be revered and loved, but not embraced as a friend.
    I've also made and lost so many friends over the years that I'm hesitant to make friends with a deity that could up and vanish on a whim. Abandonment is a very real fear in my world, one of my deepest, darkest worries.
    And those are excuses, aren't they?
    When it comes down to it, I'm afraid to start praying again. I'm afraid something might actually hear me. I've struggled and fought and wandered my whole life, to have things suddenly just start working out for me makes me nervous.
    Fear is the little death, the mind-killer.
    Fear is what keeps you from jumping off the cliff.
    I'm so fucked up, it's no wonder the only god to hear me seems to be Loki.
    Sounds like you need some Yoda in your life.
    Georgette

I can see where, as you said earlier, the whole trinity thing would cause a person who needs proof or explanation to stop dead in their tracks. My preacher recommended a book that I've yet to read that he says explains it about as well as it can be explained, it's called The Shack. But in reality, there's a lot of things that we know but we can't prove.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    I've been praying for something for over a year now. If I am blessed with it, awesome, if not, I'm thankful for what I have. If it helps you any, before God spoke to Moses and told him what He was to be called the righteous and holy just prayed to the god of the universe (if I understand that correctly). That's why the idol worshipers had trouble accepting God, because their gods had names. That's why they would say the god of Abraham or the god of Jacob. I agree with Geo, it helps just to verbalize whatever you have going on. I think of it as talking to a friend and I think that's how it's supposed to be thought of, IMHO.
    The early Semites often prayed to localized gods (Elohim), or more properly, topographic gods. El Shaddai would be god of the mountain. This ties into the recurring notion of holy places (cf., Jerusalem, Mecca, Sinai). El, incidentally, shares its etymology with Allah, and creeps into other words: Israel, Ishmael, Emmanuel ("God is here"). Bethel, "the place of God," was the site of Jacob's ladder.

There is also the idea of Euhemerism, the apotheosis of kings (or forebears). This would also lead to the idea of localized gods, with unfamiliar gods being pagan. Julian Jaynes runs his fascinating theory of consciousness through the Euhemerist view, which gives a whole new perspective to the early psychology of religion.

Early man may have felt a profound connection to the greatness of a particular landscape, rooting himself to a holy place or a god of some locale; he may have been spoken to by the authoritative voice of a deceased king or forebear in times of distress. It's fascinating to trace the historical notions of gods and God, and then to see that our modern lives still find us in spiritual connection with our natural world, and receiving wisdom from those no longer with us.

I guess it's time to jump into the deep end.
    My Primal Battle Tome

I've always considered the trinity as three manifestations of the same idea, sort of the way the block on the cover of Godel, Escher, Bach appears as a G, an E, or a B, depending on which side you view it from. The ineffable Father cannot be apprehended by any means of the agnostic, by definition, although He is the very set of scientific laws the agnostic utilizes and is present in everything (whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere, as the saying goes); Son as manifestation; Spirit as the agent or active component. At least, that is how I understand it.

Fear can push some into faith as they feel have nothing left. Fear does hinder people. Understanding some of your background, I understand where your fear stems from. I know I'm quoting Yoda properly, but didn't he say something to the affect of "Let go of fear"? If you can let go of fear, good things will follow. I have to tell myself this everyday and it does help.
    Georgette

I eventually came to grasp the Trinity as something similar to FW, long after I'd stepped away from Christianity. The Father as the authority figure and disciplining hand, the Son as the scapegoat and loving embrace, and the Spirit as the intertwining vine between Father, Son, and believer.
    For now, I'll walk the Middle Way and hope for wisdom. For now, I'll ask in the ways of my forefathers for the oldest requests in the book: wisdom, hope, luck, strength, and justice. For now, I'll try to be content with what I have, even if the gods only saw fit to answer the part of my prayer that would make for the best tv. For now, I'll try to be and let be, as hard as that is.
    My Primal Battle Tome