Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger) page

firetiger is offline Senior Member

A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger)

Primal Fuel
    So apparently my other journal got attacked by some sort of malware so I am starting a new one. Here's my old intro copy & pasted:

Hey everyone! I'm a 26 year old graduate student in New Orleans and have been primal for about a month now. I have seen great results already. I feel and look a lot leaner. I am not overweight but would like to tone up my lower ab area a bit. The constant bloated feeling has left. It wasn't that difficult to make the transition as I was eating pretty clean and low carb. The difficult part for me is when I go out with my friends. I try to stick to a cider or red wine but sometimes I end up with a vodka soda. I think life is about balance and since this is a lifestyle I try to be flexible. I'm also struggling when my friends want to grab dinner somewhere. Sometimes the food will now 1) make me feel sick or 2) I don't want anything on the menu or what would be the best choice is not on my grad school budget. I've been pretty good at avoiding eating out.

Before I always ate about 5-6 small meals. I like the idea of eating when I'm hungry but old habits die hard. I tend to plan when I am home to eat because I know that when I leave my home I will get hungry and make not-the-best decisions. I used to eat a lot of protein bars/nut bars but they were processed and still contained gluten products. So I have now made up baggies of cashews, almonds, a few dried cherries & a few dark chocolate chips. I eat one of these a day usually between classes.

For exercise I try to get some good walking in out in the Louisiana sunshine if I have time and a WOD usually a HIIT style workout (Bodyrock style or DailyHiit as it's called now) a few times a week. Lately I have found a yoga studio that I really enjoy and I need it more mentally/spiritually than physically. I feel taller (which is not necessary seeing as that I'm 5'11), more flexible and more balanced in general. I am focusing on beating or at least coming to terms with my struggle with long-term depression/anxiety. Yoga is part of my (self-imposed) treatment. I also have recently been prescribed Wellbutrin & am giving cognitive behavioral therapy a go.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

GOT Party & Bacon-ish Question

Today:

9:30 10 min HIIT workout including burpees, pushups, etc

10:15
    B: 2 eggs fried in pasture butter & a green smoothie (1/3 can lite coco milk, handful of spinach, a few strawberries, few frozen blueberries, amazing grass choc greens powder)

12:30
    S: coffee with a bit of almond milk

3:30
    L: 5 oz baked lemon dill salmon with pasture butter, asparagus & some yellow bell pepper

6-7:30 serenity yoga

8:00
    D: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado of guacamole with celery & cucumber (as chips actually quite delicious), 1 cup of beef chilli made with onions, tomatoes, ground beef, yellow pepper, spinach salad with some shredded cheese & balsamic, piece of fried plantain

My friends and I have a weekly Game of Thrones watching party with food and drinks. I have an exam tomorrow so easily turned down the beer. I made guacamole and cut up celery & cucumber slices. I grabbed 2 hard boiled eggs as I was famished after yoga & not sure what they would have there. They had a giant assortment of SAD foods like taco pizza, cheese dip, jalapeno poppers etc. I am not even tempted anymore because I know it will make me feel ill. One girl made chilli and I ate that & picked out the beans. Funny after the meal they were all complaining how much their stomachs hurt. Mine feels great. Success!

Question: I bought this super thick cut bacon (like too thick to fry) thinking I could slice it myself...haha nope. Now I don't know what to do with it. I think it's for adding flavor to things not eating like regular bacon. Any ideas?

Please Don't Feed German Chocolate to the Sugar Addict

I'll admit it: I am a sugar addict. I have no trouble saying no to savory SAD items but desserts especially of the chocolate persuasion, no willpower. My roommate has a lovely German girl staying with us & to thank me for the hospitality she gave me authentic German beer & a Ritter Sport coconut chocolate bar. I was happy to accept the beer but the chocolate (it's milk) shiiiiiiiiiiiiit! So as soon as I was alone I ripped open the chocolate to taste it. OMG it was heavenly. After that I couldn't stay away from it & ended up eating the whole bar. Now I feel 1)shitty upset stomach 2) headache 3) super guilty/failure. I hope to mitigate the effects by not beating myself up about it. Nothing I can do now.

The question is: what do I do about the rest of the day? I am still technically under on my carbohydrates (at 45ish). I feel silly cutting out healthy veggies to save carbs so I probably won't. I have been really good up until now but I know that this won't be the only other time that someone offers me a dessert. I need to learn how to exercise willpower with sugar. I've even turned down beers. I'm seriously addicted to sugar. Ughhhh...

My day so far:

7:00
    B: 2 eggs fried in butter, 2 tbsp homemade guacamole, 1/3 can lt coco milk with coffee

11:30
    S: chocolate bar

12:30
    L: 6 oz chicken cooked in EVOO with lemon garlic & parsley

I did however perfect pan-frying chicken breast & de-glazing (?) it. I can't wait to get some fattier cuts. I love the skin...it's my fave.

Sugar makes my skin crawl

It's official: I am a recovering sugar addict. I feel absolutely miserable after consuming that chocolate bar. My skin is crawling & I plummeted into an awful depression...I know my triggers now are higher sugar foods. Additionally I did not plan out my meals well. I keep trying to cook extra but then end up eating it all in one sitting, forgetting that I am not starving myself anymore haha. Also meat that was frozen solid does not de-thaw in one day...poor planning.

Takeaways:

1) Someone told me "don't let perfect be the enemy of good." This is quite a departure from my depressed brain's thinking that the opposite of perfect is failure. Gone. It's not black & white. Re-wiring my brain's thinking, baby step by baby step in all aspects of my life.

2) No sugary things. Not even a bite. It makes me want MORE MORE MORE...like crack.

3) Plan. Plan. Plan.

Last exam tomorrow & job interview...wish me luck

Violent Reaction to Cider?

I am all done with exams & have spent most of my day catching up on sleep. The semester went well though & I felt good about the research assistant job interview. Crossing my fingers...Here's what I've consumed so far:

7:00
    B: coffee with almond milk & hard boiled egg

9:30
    S: coffee with almond milk & some yellow bell pepper

1:30
    L: 6 oz ground chuck burger cooked in bacon grease, some natural ground mustard, salad with baby romaine, balsamic & olive oil, Ace Pear Cider

Immediately after lunch I felt sick, really sick. My face was on fire. I thought I was going to throw-up. I was scared my meat had gone bad. I slept it off & it's 7:20 now & I feel fine. I'm pretty sure it was the cider. It's a low-sugar natural gluten free cider so the reaction really surprised me. I guess I will stick to red wine since I don't have a reaction to that. We will see in the coming days as celebrations of end-of-the-semester abound.

Feeling kind of sick still

I made a shrimp stir-fry for dinner but could barely eat it. I still feel ill. I think I might be getting sick...so it wasn't the cider. I also ate some 88% dark chocolate with a tsp almond butter. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow. Getting back to yoga tomorrow as well.

Feeling Mehhhh

I'm already super restless & classes just ended yesterday. The depression is sneaking back in & taking over. At least I ate fairly well.

9:30
    B: 2 eggs fried in pasture butter & green smoothie (1/2 banana, spinach, green powder, 1/3 can coco milk)

12-1:30 medium flow yoga (lots of chair pose)

2:00
    L: 8 oz perfect crispy skin pan fried salmon (so yummy) & a salad with yellow bell peppers, a few blackberries, pumpkin seeds, balsamic & olive oil

5:00
    S: 1/2 avocado

7:45
    D: 5 oz ground chuck burger & zucchini & yellow squash fried in bacon grease. followed by a glass of red wine & small amount of 88% dark chocolate.

Here's to tomorrow being a better day...

Exciting news!

I knew today was going to be a better day. I got the research assistant job I really wanted. Now I won't feel guilty about my healthy lifestyle purchases of good grass-fed meat, unlimited yoga & other things. I am so excited! Here's how my day has gone:

9:30: Kind of pathetic attempt at a AMRAP workout. Got hungry & wanted to eat breakfast instead

10:00
    B: 3 eggs fried in pasture butter & 1/2 avocado

12:45
    L: 5 oz ground chuck burger fried in bacon grease & salad (baby romaine, yellow pepper, cucumber, EVOO & balsamic)

I am going out tonight to celebrate the end of the semester/some friends' bdays. We are going to a Mexican restaurant & I think the only thing that sounds healthy-ish would be the steak fajitas, just eating the meat, veggies & guacamole. I also will indulge in several glasses of red wine or cider if we go to a beer bar. No guilt. This is meant to be a fun night!

Cheating & not feeling bad about it & 10 lbs down

I celebrated the end of the semester and some friends' birthdays along with my own personal employment accomplishment. We went to a typical Mexican restaurant. I bypassed the chips & salsa & started with a glass of red wine. I finished that I really wanted a double margarita so I had one. It tasted good, not strange like some other things have since switching to primal. I ordered fajitas & ditched the rice, beans, flour tortillas and ate the steak, veggies, guacamole, lettuce & sour cream. Then came dessert for the birthday celebration of cupcakes. I tried a baby bite & they were gross. Then the party continued elsewhere & I had a Woodchuck cider (9 g sugar) & a few shots of tequila. The damage certainly could have been worse.

Additionally I noticed a scale in the girls apartment we were at & hopped on. It said 148 lbs (I'm 5'11"). WHAT? Last time I weighed myself I was at 158. 10 lbs down thanks to primal/yoga combo. I really do need some better fitting clothes.

Today I am going to venture to WF because I heard there are sales there Fridays. We shall see. It's nice that I can spend money on my wellbeing & not feel guilty about it.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    It's official: I am a recovering sugar addict. I feel absolutely miserable after consuming that chocolate bar. My skin is crawling & I plummeted into an awful depression...I know my triggers now are higher sugar foods. Additionally I did not plan out my meals well. I keep trying to cook extra but then end up eating it all in one sitting, forgetting that I am not starving myself anymore haha. Also meat that was frozen solid does not de-thaw in one day...poor planning.

Takeaways:

1) Someone told me "don't let perfect be the enemy of good." This is quite a departure from my depressed brain's thinking that the opposite of perfect is failure. Gone. It's not black & white. Re-wiring my brain's thinking, baby step by baby step in all aspects of my life.

2) No sugary things. Not even a bite. It makes me want MORE MORE MORE...like crack.

3) Plan. Plan. Plan.

Last exam tomorrow & job interview...wish me luck
    I don't know what it is about sugar and depression, but they are inextricably linked. I found a lot of improvement with trying to "avoid" sugar by accepting more fruit and starches into my diet. It doesn't work for everyone, but the idea of "restriction" really makes it worse, IMO.

I so so so understand the black & white thoughts. It's a tough thing to get around and great that you are seeing it takes some small steps. You can't tackle every chocolate bar at once (well, you could, but you'd be pretty sick). One square at a time

I would strongly suggest you check out the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" and "The Mood Cure". The second book is what I base my supplements off of for depression. I've taken Wellbutrin, though not for quite a while, and I prefer amino acids to any SSRI I've ever tried (which has been several).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast