Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger) page 8

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I think I'm going to just eliminate them (mostly) for a few weeks. I'm sick of them anyways haha. Then I'll try them again & see if that produces a reaction. Sometimes when I eat I get a sharp pain in my stomach kind of like indigestion but worse. I also get it sometimes if I eat SAD food at a restaurant or drink a hoppy beer.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Good weekend & more bacon burgers

Food:
    Friday I ate decently but then I went out for some much needed fun with my friend and had a considerable amount of alcohol. Saturday I didn't eat very much but it was all primal. My food today:

9:00 am
    3 oz bacon burger & green smoothie (spinach, greens powder, coco milk, raspberries/blueberries, banana)

1:00 pm
    greek yogurt smoothie (greek yogurt, cucumber, mint, agave)

5:30 pm
    6 oz bacon burger, spinach, mustard

7:00 pm
    1/3 banana with almond butter, a few strawberries, rosemary garlic roasted potatoes

WOD:
    Friday: 2x15 burpees, 90 sec forearm plank & 1.5 hr yoga
    Saturday: rest day
    Today: 3x15 burpees, 2x2 min planks, 1 hr yoga

Thoughts:
    I still need to work on my planning of meals. I'm having trouble with what to eat for breakfast because of the lack of eggs in my diet. I have been focusing on not eating out at all and have been pretty successful. Really the only non-primal thing I had this weekend were the alcoholic drinks Friday. Yesterday I cooked up a batch of ground beef from the butcher mixed with bacon on the grill. I have been eating those yesterday and today. Tomorrow I'm making chicken cacciatore in my crockpot with chicken thighs.

Mood:
    Friday I met with my therapist & it was not a great visit. I felt judged for my dating habits (think: worried father figure). I have been beyond frustrated with this stupid thing called dating. I don't get it. Men are a huge trigger for my depression/anxiety. I've been moving forward and doing better but it still sucks. I think the more I date the less all the crap will hurt like desensitizing myself. I've upped my 5-HTP back to 100 mg in the afternoon.

Just mehhhhhhhhhh

I have not been doing very well. My eating has been really disordered...primal but disordered. I had crazy fruit cravings when I went to the grocery store so I bought local blueberries, plums, peaches. I also bought some more dark chocolate. I just started my period again (after 3 weeks) and I'm pretty sure that's why I've had all these carb cravings. I feel kind of sick and weak and have a massive headache.

My day started off so well with a 3x20 burpee & 2 2 min plank workout then a productive day at work. I have been having crazy insomnia issues lately. The other night I didn't go to bed until 4 am. I feel pretty negatively about everything. My emotions are terrible. I think I might have to get back on my birth control pill.

This week my goal was to learn from my mistakes and forgive myself. I am definitely learning but it still sucks.

Sorry for being so MIA & falling off the primal wagon

Food:
    Well, I have not been very primal lately which is probably why I haven't been putting my food up here. I had wheat items today like cookies for lunch & beef & tongue tacos for dinner. I had ice cream recently too. I mean it was hand-churned well-made dark chocolate spicy ice cream & no sugar added but still. Wednesday I am going home to Michigan for a wedding & to see my family. It will be hard to be really primal but I will do my best. And when I come back next Monday, it's on primal-style. No more laziness. Again, I need to plan better. I like grab-n-go things like pre-cooked burgers, bacon, lunch meat, cut-up pepper strips, cucumbers, avocados, baggies of homemade trailmix. I need more ideas.

Workouts:
    I have fallen off the burpee/plank challenge wagon as well but have been going to yoga. I have gotten so much better at yoga. My new goal is a head-stand by the end of summer. Also there's going to be a "cultivating happiness through yoga" series that I might breakdown & buy because the instructor is wonderful. I'm going to workout outside at home because I can without dying from the heat. Kayaking, burpees/HIIT, morning beach yoga & maybe even a lakeside jog might happen.

Mood:
    My mood has been good, really good. I feel pretty good about most things. I am over the last situation that upset me, which is record time for me. I am continuing in the process to desensitize myself to men/dating since they seem to be a big depression trigger. Also had some sleep issues but it's more like I just don't want to go to bed at a decent hour. I am going to work on my sleep schedule some more.

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Let's start with the good first:

The Good:
    My workouts have been amazing. I have been getting up and doing a burpee/plank combo. Also yoga is going really well too. I just went back to Michigan for a wedding & people that haven't seen me in a year were going on and on about how good I look.

The Bad:
    My eating has been bad but I have mostly maintained my primal values.

The Ugly:
    I have had complete lack of self-control when carbs/sugar are presented to me. Cake, cookies, ice cream, gelato even a sourdough hotdog bun. I should be able to get back with it. I need to find my way back. Ughhhhh...

Getting back in the driver's seat...

I've really been struggling lately. I've gone on several sugar binges and am having trouble eating primally. I need to get back to the basics and eat more consistent meals. This means limit the snacking. I also need to plan. I also need to write in this thing.

I have realized I react negatively to eggs. When I eat them I get a stabbing sensation in my stomach. I want to try eating just the yolks and see if it still does it. That being said I need more breakfast ideas. I think I should go back to my spinach smoothies.

Food:
    9:00 am:
    3 oz smoked salmon, 1/2 avocado, blackberries, piece of turkey with orange bell pepper

1:00 pm:
    salad with 5 oz chicken, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, pecans, gorgonzola cheese, cucumber & balsamic vinaigrette

3:30 pm:
    1.5 oz cashews, a few dried cherries, 1 square dark orange choc 60%, 1 square of Lindt 85%, chai tea

For dinner I'm planning on making a seared skirt steak salad. Hopefully it turns out. Also need to do a short workout. I'm thinking going for a relaxing walk, 3x10 burpees with 90 sec planks in between. Good to be back!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Do you think some starchy carbs on e aregular basis, or maybe starchier fruit would be helpful? Looks like you're doing fairly low carb. I don't recall how active you are, but I've found that even when I'm inactive, I seem to get by better on a higher amount of carbs (and definitely don't turn towards the super sugary stuff as much).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

As far as adding carbs, I just roasted some rosemary garlic sweet potatoes and do love my fruit. I also do dark chocolate (too much sometimes). I think part of my problem has been not eating large enough meals with a good portion of fat. This stems from poor planning & emotional eating a bit as well. I am fairly active: 90 min yoga at least 3x a week, trying to get more burpees/planks/tabata in as well. I don't walk as much because it's hot but I enjoy going on long walks too.

I think I'm back in it for sure now. I just made the most delicious dinner of seared skirt steak and caramelized onions on a bed of lettuce. I also had a plum and baked zucchini chips.

Ceviche, Buddhist meditation & cherries

food:
    9:00 am
    2 oz roast, a few chunks sweet potato, coffee with 2% milk

11:30 am
    Ceviche with potato, sweet potato, lots of red onion, corn, 1/2 inca kola

2:00 pm
    A few cherries, cheese samples from WF

4 pm
    Few blueberries, a few spoonfuls full fat yogurt

8:30 pm
    6 oz turkey burger, caramelized onions, 2 pc bacon, 15ish red cherries ( I binged oops),1/2 glass red wine

I went to. A Peruvian restaurant for brunch today. The ceviche was delicious. I got an inca kola for nostalgia. I only drank 1/2 of it because it tasted funny. Sure enough it was made with HFCS.

I had what I think was actually a very productive appointment with my therapist. I think we defined goals and barriers to get to them. I am also signed up for a 6 week happiness practices course through my yoga studio. My therapist really wants me to zone in on my yoga meditations and focus on mindfulness. He gave a book recommendation. Also I am focusing on more optimistic/realistic expectations.

I went grocery shopping at WF. Cherries were on sale and there were lots of free cheese samples. I have decided to give some organic full fat dairy a try especially since I'm not eating eggs anymore for breakfast. I bought half and half for my coffee and yogurt to have with fruit. I'll see how I am feeling but dairy hasn't been a problem for me before.

Feeling Good & being super productive

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food:
    9:15 am:
    3 oz turkey wrapped around orange bell pepper, coffee with organic half & half

12:00 pm:
    plum, 1/2 avocado

3:00 pm
    6 oz turkey burger, 1/2 avocado, salad with cucumber, baby romaine, blueberries, balsamic & olive oil

7:30 pm
    6 oz pork chop fried in bacon grease, 1/4 cabbage baked with olive oil & bacon

9:00 pm
    3 glasses pinot grigio, 2 oz pork chop, 2 tbsp of full fat yogurt

Later: vodka soda, PBR (it was free & a gift) & one piece muenster cheese

WOD:
    about 2 hrs walking
    3x5 burpees with 90 sec planks between sets

I had a nice productive day today. I feel very at peace with myself. I worked, cleaned my apartment, did laundry, did a short workout & even started studying for the GRE. I'm re-taking to get a higher score for Phd programs. I'm going out with a friend tonight so I'll probably add some vodka sodas to that list. I was hungry so I decided to finish off my pork chop. I know better than to go out hungry. I will end up eating bar food.

Also white wine is also a good choice I read somewhere...It has 3 g carbs per 5 oz. I'll take it.
    Last edited by firetiger; 07-14-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added food/drinks from late night fun

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast