Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger) page 4

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    I know you aren't asking for suggestions, but would you mind me making a few (friendly) observations? Your entries indicate you've struggled with sugar, etc., and anxiety/depression. I too favor sugar...
    Reading what you eat (I'm not in a position to make any suggestions about wellbutrin, etc,...these are just n=1 thoughts), it seems you still eat a lot of sugar, just in the form of fruits, etc. And you don't really eat much in the way of variety in protein: eggs, a little fish, a little lean meat (turkey burger, etc).

Since you've been struggling with staying on track, you might try playing around a bit with the carbs/protein mix. Sometimes, for some of us, carbs like potatoes, fruit, etc, actually triggers sugar-cravings. You might TRY (for a week or two) lowering the carbs and REALLY upping the protein (meat, that is) and see if that helps dial back the cravings... It may not be a long term thing but it might give you insight into which things do trigger for you and which you can deal with.
    I have been trying to up my meat but I can only eat so much in one sitting. The past few days I have been super nauseous & just ate enough to get through my work days. I'm not willing to cut out fruit/veg or nuts or dark chocolate or alcohol (in the form of red wine or cider). I had been aiming (& succeeding before these past few days) at keeping my carbs between 50-70ish grams. I don't want to go below 50 grams. I haven't been eating lean meats either; I buy 85/15 in the ground meats & chicken thighs & salmon is not lean either. I do eat a lot of eggs. I am picky in the morning & that's what I've been able to stomach.

Life keeps happening. I need to learn to deal with peer pressure better. Also being prepared. I did plan out my meals this week but then illness happened, work happened. Also I can't hide myself in my little primal cave away from my normal friends; that's not good for my depression even if I could maintain a perfect diet.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's why i suggested you merely [B]try[B] it because of the complaints you've had. But you know best--good luck to ya!

Breakthroughs & size 8

I still have a very limited appetite. I didn't eat a lot at all today. I really am going to eat well tomorrow. To be honest when I was losing weight before I was starving my body by not eating enough. Now I want to build some muscle, lose some fat & look fit.

I had a really great appointment with my therapist. Combined with my psychiatrist I have a great team working with me toward my goal of getting better. I feel comfortable with them and for the first time like this might be possible.

I had to go shopping for new work clothes since none of mine fit anymore and are for cooler weather. Most of my adult life I've been a size 12 or large/xtra large. Recently I've been wearing a 10 but its started to get loose. I grabbed 10s and they were too loose. I can hardly believe that I can now wear a size 8 and only mediums. I looked really great in all of the clothes. I got a long dress that makes me feel like a goddess.

Back to clean eating tomorrow. I hope the good mood keeps up...

Finding my happy medium...

Okay, so this week has not been anywhere near ideal eating-wise. I don't do well planning out my meals down to every detail. The moments that are unplanned often give me the most pleasure. I don't like feeling awkward around my friends because I can't have a beer or a snack. While changing my eating patterns is supposed to help with my depression/anxiety it in turn has caused some additional stress (which is the last thing I need). I need, as the title to this journal would imply, "balance." I am a perfectionist in far too many parts of my life; it sets me up for failure especially when it's nearly impossible to eating perfectly all the time. It leads to me restricting, which leads to frustration and eventually binging. Okay so new plan. I am not giving up this lifestyle, just going to make it work for my life.

I'm going to try to aim for 75% primal, 25% not-so-much. That doesn't mean that 25% is full of fast food & tons of processed crap, just that I can enjoy that beer (or 3) with my friends and eat out occasionally without beating myself up over it. I am still going to try to make good decisions, just not expect perfection. I am in more of a maintaining stage of weight loss (I still need to tone up & would love to put on some more muscle) but certainly don't need to lose much more weight.

Also more HIIT & keeping with the yoga for building strength.

Back to it

So I was all ready (even excited haha) to go to work today & they said I didn't need to come in today. I slept in a bit later & picked out a nice 12 min AMRAP (sumo squats, monkey pushups, burpees, jump lunges) workout I've been meaning to do. I really want to build some muscles (get a little jacked haha). I banged that out then had breakfast: 3 eggs fried in pasture butter & some leftover chicken thigh. I am so full. I didn't feel quite satisfied & I'll admit I had a fair amount of sugar/flour-y carbs yesterday so my body is adjusting. When I get hungry next I'm going to have a salad with bacon & a ground beef patty probably. I think I will OD on some Vit D by the pool reading a book & maybe go for a walk later if it's not crazy hot. NOLA summer is no joke.

Updated current supplements:
    morning:300 mg Wellbutrin, multi (Life Source brand), 1000 iu vit D, 600 mg Omega 3 fish oil, B complex
    afternoon: 100 mg 5-HTP

Mood's good. I'm sure the workout gave me a nice boost.

A good day & bodyweight progressions

Food:
    10:00
    B: 3 eggs fried in butter & 1/2 chicken thigh; followed by green tea

1:30
    L: salad with baby romaine, 4 strips bacon, 1/2 avocado, yellow bell pepper, 4 blackberries, balsamic & olive oil

3:00
    S: 2 pc sliced turkey, celery with almond butter, small pc dark chocolate, a few nuts & dried cherry (while packing to-go baggies of trail mix)

8:00
    D: 6 oz burger fried in bacon grease, yellow/orange bell pepper, roasted rosemary yellow potatoes (2 workouts & low carbs: I had a craving for potatoes)

WOD: 12 min AMRAP & bodyweight progression (push-ups, squats, dips)

Thoughts:I stayed pretty primal today. I went to the grocery store & they had some grassfed meats & I bought a steak (yum!) & some goat (that will be fun to figure out how to cook). I spent way too much money as usual. I tried planning out my meals but I know that I won't follow it. I also am planning on making a pork loin so that should be a few lunches as well. I discovered bodyweight progressions...and am in love. I know that they are in the PBF but I used the ones at 666 Fitness or something like that. I like that I will be able to build strength & watch as I progress. Until last spring when I began BodyRock HIIT workouts I could not do a single pushup on my toes; now I can do a lot of them.

Mood:Pretty good. I have to have mad endorphins after 2 workouts haha. I was in a good mood then my roommate b*tched about something & kind of sent it south. I recovered quickly though. I am recovering quickly. I notice a distinct change in my ability to get out of the depression/anxiety episodes. I hope that something's working. Also keep in mind my stress level is relatively low right now so that might be why...
    Last edited by firetiger; 05-20-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Muscle soreness & cooking

Food:

8:30: coffee with coco milk

11:00
    B: 5 oz grd chuck burger, fried egg in butter, roasted potatoes, bell pepper

3:30
    L: chicken thigh & asparagus; followed by small amount of 85% dark chocolate with almond butter

7:30
    S: 1/2 avo (while dinner cooked)

9:00
    D: 6 oz pork tenderloin stuffed with some bacon, apple, mushroom & sage & salad (baby romaine, bell pepper, a few blackberries & balsamic/olive oil, glass red wine

WOD:
    1.5 hr medium flow yoga
    plank progression

Thoughts:
    I am so wonderfully sore from the progressions yesterday & yoga today. Some more breakthroughs in yoga today with my downward dog. I will continue with the progressions alternating days. I am excited to build some strength. I'm hoping the planks will help with the lower abs although I may just be plagued by some loose-ish skin or am being overly critical. I successfully cooked a stuffed pork tenderloin. Cooking has become a great creative outlet for me. I don't consider myself a creative person, but cooking allows me to be. I like being able to eat the potatoes. For me restriction simply does not work; it makes me want the thing more & subsequently depressed that I can't have it. I think I am on my way to a better relationship with food though. My therapist is quite concerned with my body image problems & food/diet concerns so we will work on that as well.

Mood:
    Well, my work keeps not letting me work as many hours until the girl I'm replacing leaves. I am getting bored. I got depressed-ish for a minute today then I said to myself hey, let's go for a walk. So I did & I felt much better. I love going on walks but NOLA heat is too much for this northerner. I need to find things to do with myself because if I sit in my apartment I get depressed.

Also last night I had some issues falling asleep & woke up during the middle of the night. I also had to force myself out of bed in the morning & felt not entirely rested. I have added back in an additional 100 mg 5-HTP with dinner along with the afternoon one.
    Last edited by firetiger; 05-21-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot the wine

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had huge success with it, but in Julia Ross' "the Mood Cure", she says you can take more 5-HTP if you have trouble falling asleep or wake up in the middle of the night.

Good for you for figuring out what you need to do. Honestly. I think boredom is a big problem for depressed folks. If the stars are not aligned (what I call it when my brain chemistry or physical well-being is off), boredom can be an instant depression maker. It's hard to snap out of, but being able to tell yourself, "Hey, let's do something" and do it? That's huge.

All your food sounds great I had no appetite yesterday and now I wish I could eat everything to make up for it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post

Good for you for figuring out what you need to do. Honestly. I think boredom is a big problem for depressed folks. If the stars are not aligned (what I call it when my brain chemistry or physical well-being is off), boredom can be an instant depression maker. It's hard to snap out of, but being able to tell yourself, "Hey, let's do something" and do it? That's huge.

All your food sounds great I had no appetite yesterday and now I wish I could eat everything to make up for it.
    When I'm bored I ruminate. The negative thoughts start or I replay situations in my head over and over again trying to see what I did wrong. It's awful. I have tons of things to do like clean/organize my apartment but I don't want to. I am constantly having that inner dialogue with myself trying to make myself do things to get out of the depression like go out with friends/take a walk/etc.

Leftovers are the best!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food:

9:00 am
    1/2 c coffee with coco milk

11:00 am
    2 eggs fried in butter, 3 oz pork, roasted potatoes, 1/2 avocado (post-workout)

2:00 pm
    homemade trail mix (cashews, almonds, 3 dried cherries)

4:00 pm
    boiled egg, 1/2 cucumber, 2 pc sliced turkey

8:00 pm
    6 oz pork tenderloin stuffed with sage, apple, bacon & mushrooms; asparagus fried in butter & 6 blackberries

WOD:
    squat, push-up & dip bodyweight progressions

Thoughts:
    I don't think I ate enough today so I might eat something before I go to bed (thinking sliced turkey with bell pepper). If I am going to not eat as often then I really need to eat more at each meal (especially protein). I also love the idea of making something that is delicious with about 6 servings that will feed me for most of the week. I am pleasantly sore from the workouts & I love it. I am already ready to move on in some of the progressions. I'm really hoping the plank progression might tighten up my lower abs.

Mood:
    I woke up after yet another night of not-the-best sleep. I didn't feel well rested & had a bit of trouble falling asleep. My mood was ehhh flat; not bad, not particularly good. I just feel mehhhh...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast