Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger) page 10

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    I looked in the mirror & took a picture of my stomach because it is looking fantastic. If you know me then these words would surprise you a lot. I have come so far...despite the drinking, late night bread/sugar binges (last night...ahem). Perseverance aka not giving up when you falter have gotten me this far. I am the fittest I have ever been in my life. I am the closest to beating my depression that I have ever been in my life. I am immensely grateful for these things.
    Hey firetiger, Just popped into your journal and saw these lovely positive words - good for you! I remember you wrote a post a few months ago, and I'm glad things are turning around for you You're not alone.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Aww thank you YogaBare. It really is amazing the things we can do if we put our minds to it & give ourselves permission to succeed despite faltering along the way.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Food:
    9 am: bp coffee with 1 tbsp kerrygold & 1tbsp coco oil

12 pm: 6 oz gf burger with bacon bits, 1/2 avocado, baby romaine, handful of carrots

4:00 pm: 3 oz gf pastrami, 1/2 avocado, 1/3 bell pepper, 1/4 c full fat organic yogurt

8:00 pm: 5 oz flank steak, 1 gf breakfast sausage, 1/4 eggplant fried in bacon grease, 1/4 roasted sweet potato

Workout:
    90 min yoga

Today was my first day of sugar detox. I found myself craving after dinner but stayed strong. I am reading about how we color our consciousness in positive or negative ways. I have decided to quit saying that I'm going to be grumpy, this is going to suck & just say that I can do this meaning the sugar detox.
    Last edited by firetiger; 07-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Eczema & Day 2 Sugar Detox

Food:
    9:00 am: BP coffee w/ 1 tbsp KG & 1 tbsp coco oil

12:00 pm: 5 oz gf burger with bacon bits cooked in, handful of baby romaine, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 sweet potato

2:00 pm: handful of cashews

4:00 pm: 2 oz smoked salmon

7:00 pm: 6 oz gf breakfast sausage, 1/4 orange bell pepper, 1/4 c full fat organic yogurt with 1 tbsp almond butter, coffee with organic half & half

10:00 pm: 4 slices eggplant fried in bacon grease yummmm

Workout:
    None

Skin: Itchiness scale (1-10) 7

Today was day number 2 of my personal sugar detox. I am doing fine for the most part. I have had a crazy, hectic day and am trying to figure out what's next in my life ie where/what to do my PhD. Also GRE studying so busy busy busy.

I added a section called skin that I will use to monitor my eczema symptoms. It's gotten really bad so I want to see if maybe there's a pattern. LOL epidemiology nerd.

Sugar Detox Day 3

Food:
    9:15 am: bp coffee with 1 tbsp KG butter & 1 T coco oil

11:15 am: 5 oz gf burger with bacon bits cooked in, handful of spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1/4 orange bell pepper, some mustard, 1/4 sweet potato roasted

2:30 pm: 1 oz cashews, 1/2 avocado

5:00 pm: 1/4 c full fat organic yogurt with 1 T almond butter

8:00 pm: 5 oz pork chop fried in bacon grease, baby romaine handful, some yellow bell pepper, balsamic & olive oil, 1/3 cucumber

11:00 pm: 2 oz smoked salmon (I was really hungry still)

Workout:
    Some walking, 10 burpees, 90 sec plank

Skin: 6 (not as bad as yesterday but still pretty GD itchy)

Well, I still have not given into my sugar cravings. I find they are the most intense right after dinner. I have been programmed since youth to expect dessert after meals. I feel kind of blah; it wasn't my goal for my body to enter ketosis but I have had some signs that it is (metallic taste in mouth, strong odor from urine). I think that the 21DSD allows for green apples and green tipped bananas (is that just not ripe bananas?) so I am probably going to pick some up when I go grocery shopping.

I have lunch out tomorrow with my coworkers. It's a super nice expensive place so the only things I can afford are the small plates. Pizze is cheap but I'm not doing it. Nope. I saw an octopus carpaccio on the menu that I was checking out or a cauliflower puree with goat cheese. Ughhh I don't want to spend the money or eat the food but it's a once a month thing.

Also I am starting to worry (read get unnecessarily anxious) that BP coffee is making me gain weight. I seem to be retaining a lot of water for some reason right now. I don't intend to use it as a fast; i just don''t get hungry when I drink it until 11 or 12. So that's only about a 14 hour fast so that's not really fasting right?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You can always stop adding the stuff to the coffee and see what happens!

Green-tipped bananas would be not quite ripe, yeah. Maybe some yellow on the peel, but no spots. There's less sugar in them because they haven't ripened, but that means they'll be less soft and not as sweet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

So I broke my sugar detox because 1) a child offered me a grape & then asked me to taste it so they could know it it was good & 2) I had a salad at a restaurant with peaches, crispy prosciutto goat cheese, baby greens & some kind of dressing that probably had something offensive in it. The over-priced salad made me feel sick to my stomach afterwards. It was a fancy restaurant but I'd love to know what was in the salad dressing so I can know to avoid it in the future. I hate eating out at places that the only paleo things are super expensive. Ughhhhhhh.

I'm going to continue the sugar detox though but going to add in the green tipped bananas and green apples (just one a day).

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    That definitely doesn't sound like the end of the world to me! I think the big thing is not going overboard (which is really doesn't sound like you did) and avoiding refined sugar (which you did aside from maybe some dressing).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sugar Detox Day 4

Food:
    9:00 am: bp coffee

12:30 pm: restaurant salad with crispy prosciutto, a few slices pear, goat cheese & baby greens

1:30 pm: 3 oz turkey with yellow bell pepper roll-ups

5:00 pm: 1/4 c yogurt with 1 T almond butter

5:30 pm: 1 oz cashews, bite of my friends paleo granola

8:00 pm: 5 oz burger, handful of spinach, mushrooms sauteed in butter, 1/3 cucumber, roasted broccoli with bacon, 1/4 roasted sweet potato

Workout:
    None

Skin:5

I have been in a bad, doubtful mood all day. I am worrying about getting into a PhD program. My heart is set on staying here in New Orleans & studying the epidemiology of violence here...but no one is studying that which either makes me a pioneer or stupid. I need to sit down and talk with some people.

I wanted to go to the store & buy a green banana...but I realized I was super super full & just craved the sugar. In that manner, the sugar detox is really helping me. The cravings are largely purely emotional. Also I am not gaining weight; that is me being ridiculous haha. I think BP coffee is here to stay for a bit...but I'd like to switch to BP hot chocolate made with real cocoa. No sugar of course. I don't want to use coffee unless I need it.

Sugar Detox Day 5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food:
    9:00 am: bp coffee

12:15 pm: 2 oz turkey with bell pepper

3:00 pm: 2 oz smoked salmon, 1/2 avocado, green-tipped banana with 1 tsp almond butter

8:00 pm: 4 oz pork chop fried in bacon grease, roasted broccoli with bacon & butter, 1/2 avocado

10:00 pm: 1/4 c yogurt with 1 tsp almond butter

Workout:
    90 min intense yoga

Skin:5

I ate kind of sporadically today because I forgot my lunch at home and was on the go all day buying a new bed. I am so excited. I think my quality of sleep is about to increase a lot. I had a good visit with my therapist and a great yoga session. I wasn't super productive today studying-wise but intend to tomorrow.

I am loving the BP coffee but do not want to drink coffee everyday so I am going to get some raw cacao (if it's affordable) and mix it with hot water, Kerrygold, coco oil & cinnamon. I also want to make avocado chocolate pudding. Another project I want to do is make my own sauerkraut. It seems pretty easy & I love sauerkraut & it's really good for you.

I also need to get back to working out more consistently. Tomorrow I plan to get back to bodyweight progressions.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast