Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post Cheat Days page 3

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yesterday, there was a small celebration at work. The dept manager bought some quite nasty cakes which only had strawberries as a redeeming ingredient. Everybody rushed to have some of it. I let all my colleagues have some before I made a move. When I came toward the cakes, i saw there was none left So that fixed the dilemma (not that there was a strong one in the first place, I was about to take a small piece anyway).

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    SeaHorse, not everyone understands the science of primal/paleo jets or even WANTS to understand it. That doesn't make them bad people or poor friends.

It does make it hard for them to understand why you might be trying to avoid certain foods.

For example, I have a friend who made chili with kidney beans in it the other day. He spent something like eight hours simmering it, soaking beans overnight, chopping veggies, etc, etc. He is a non-primal eater for sure and I've tried explaining it to him, but he could care less I've learned.

I know from experience that kidney beans do NOT agree with me, but I was faced with only two options. 1) do an impromptu IF which says to my friend that I find his choice and polite offering of free food and the effort he went to to make it all unsatisfactory to me, or 2) being the bigger person and just eating it. I chose the latter because it avoided any sort of hurt feelings and/or confrontations with my friend as a result. Yes, I paid for it in unwanted ways, but by avoiding hurt feelings and having my friend think the wrong things about me such as how ungrateful I might have seemed, I think that in the end, I still came out ahead.

Situations like these occur. Sometimes we have to make exceptions with our food choices to avoid other conflicts that can be even worse. Social situations can do this to us and we kind of have to roll with the punches.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    French cruasant on the other side - no. Do you have friends who don't respect your choices and don't care for your health? If you say to a real friend that you can't eat something because it makes you feel bad, they will feel ofended? If so, they are selfish egiosts, not friends, you could find better.
    My very sweet coworker is unaware that I eat differently than 99% of the population. The croissant was delish. Considering I used to eat grains 3 times a day, the occasional grain item is no big deal to me. It doesn't make me sick. I might get some bloat. The croissant came from a french bakery, with real butter and dark chocolate. Now, I don't have huge gluten allergies. I actually enjoyed the croissant. It tasted amazing.

I've seen SO MANY fad diets and trends. I'll say primal is no fad.... but realize that a lot of the "no" foods, in small quantities, won't kill you. They may derail weightloss and if you have a sensitivity could make you ill. A day off your diet is really no big deal in the scheme of things. Like I said, no, I'm not taking a day off for McD and pizza hut. But I may well have non-primal really good food on special occasions. I control my health, and I don't think that eating non-clean 5% or 10% of the time is a big deal.

Wanna know what makes me very sick and fucks me up? Every one's favorite red wine. A glass will bloat me for days and make me ill and headachey, even good wines without sulfites. I will turn down wine every time. That and shrimp.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

As I grew up in France, I indulged in croissants like you wouldn't know ... I have been croissants-free for 8 months ... next time I visit my family in France, it will be interesting to see how tempted I will feel. In Denmark, the croissants are just not worth it. Being wheat free in DK is really not a challenge ... in France, it would be different (most bakers where I used to live know me ...).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The croissants we get are insane. You can taste the butter, flakey, fresh and they use callebaut dark chocolate. They are actually my favorite splurge as they are not too sweet. I actually think the ratio of flour to butter is somewhat favorable as they don't trigger any reaction- headache, sugar cravings etc. for me. It's funny to watch people freak out about the butter in the croissants as they eat muffins the size of my head.

In general, for me, being wheat free these days is not a challenge. Most of it isn't very good. But the french bakers make the very best use of wheat... good luck in France lol!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    good luck in France lol!
    Merci

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    Unless you're truly Grok and live in a cave, there's those times where you simply have to deal with social situations and eat the damn food. And sometimes you want to appreciate the taste combinations that the modern world has brought us and eat the cheesecake. Pretty sure the rest of don't live in caves, either, and sometimes I just want to eat what I want.
    For me, a good fast after a cheat day is a nice way to give my body a break and detox. It can vary in length, just until I truly feel hungry again. Then I get right back on track with Primal eating.
    If I had an acquaintance try to bully me into eating foods that were going to make me sick, they wouldn't be a friend any longer. And I don't consider eating something that I know is going to make me sick for weeks and then pretending I'm okay to be a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Because I'm still new to this whole thing and haven't gotten the point yet where I can snub my nose at a piece of cheese cake with fresh strawberries .
    That's not a cheat, its a splurge. Get past the idea of doing primal 'right' or 'wrong'. Get yourself back on track by making the most kickass primal meal to remind yourself that healthy eating isn't a penance or a sacrifice.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123