Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Post Cheat Days page 2

  1. #11
    Allenete's Avatar
    Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334
    Shop Now
    It's not a cheat day for me, it was just a weekend where I ate more than usual, including wheat products. I had a hens' day and a couple of other social situations where there was yummy food that is usually not on offer (lots of amazing cheese, homemade tidbits, strawberries and cream, martinis etc).
    I also took this opportunity to try certain things people have been raving about but I've avoided ... Like these cupcakes from a certain shop. I thought they were "meh" and now I can move on and leave those alone!
    What was attractive? Hanging with people and having fun. Good and sharing food are very effective in social situations. And I found out exactly what I'm not missing out on!

  2. #12
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,862
    What do you people find so attarctive in those cheat days? Eating shit? Feeling "good" afterwards? Why do you even do that?
    Grumpy mood today, sorry, but I really don't understand.
    Because some crappy food tastes great still. Because having a drink or two with girlfriends is fun.

    Like it or not, eating and drinking is a big part of the social fabric. Am I going to eat a bag of chips ahoy and McDonalds...No. But I'm not going to turn down the chocolate croissant a coworker brought a few weeks ago, not going to pass on a good burger and fries with sweet tea vodka on occasion, and am going to drink mojitos on a once in a lifetime trip to Aruba.

    If you can start primal and never again eat a non-primal food, that's great for you. I love a good steak and veggies, but every so often, I want some booze or a treat. The key is to limit that as much as possible, and keep from the slippery slope.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  3. #13
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    What do you people find so attarctive in those cheat days? Eating shit? Feeling "good" afterwards? Why do you even do that?
    Grumpy mood today, sorry, but I really don't understand.
    Because not all of us are food saints or have any desire to be?

    When we travel we might be faced with less than optimal choices?

    Because we are being respectful of others in a social situation by eating what we are served?

    Because we like the ability to do spontaneous things in our lives that means we can't always plan out every meal to be 100% primal compliant?

  4. #14
    Damiana's Avatar
    Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    What do you people find so attarctive in those cheat days? Eating shit? Feeling "good" afterwards? Why do you even do that?
    Grumpy mood today, sorry, but I really don't understand.

    Because I'm not a saint. Because I like to eat sugary foods once in awhile. Because I don't feel bad about it because I've reached my goal weight and then some. It's not a crime to enjoy myself and eat some white chocolate once in awhile and no, I don't feel guilty or hate myself afterwards.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

  5. #15
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,354
    I don't consider cheesecake necessarily to be a cheat. The ingredients are pretty good when a cheesecake is homemade--eggs and cream are main ingredients. You can avoid the crust if it has wheat in it and if you make your own you can make a better crust using nuts and dates.

    There's some pretty darn good vegan cheesecake I eat often from a company called Earth Cafe. Main ingredients are cashews and coconut and the crust is usually pecans and dates. I'd consider this a dessert or a treat or heck once in a while I consider it lunch.

    I think it's important to get away from the "cheat/punishment" cycle that we women are so good at. That's why I think if you enjoy a piece of cheesecake you do not need to then punish yourself the next day with starvation and deprivation. Just resume you healthy primal eating and don't eat if you aren't hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  6. #16
    Allenete's Avatar
    Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    334
    Man now I want some of that cheesecake...

  7. #17
    mom23kids's Avatar
    mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't consider cheesecake necessarily to be a cheat. The ingredients are pretty good when a cheesecake is homemade--eggs and cream are main ingredients. You can avoid the crust if it has wheat in it and if you make your own you can make a better crust using nuts and dates.

    There's some pretty darn good vegan cheesecake I eat often from a company called Earth Cafe. Main ingredients are cashews and coconut and the crust is usually pecans and dates. I'd consider this a dessert or a treat or heck once in a while I consider it lunch.

    I think it's important to get away from the "cheat/punishment" cycle that we women are so good at. That's why I think if you enjoy a piece of cheesecake you do not need to then punish yourself the next day with starvation and deprivation. Just resume you healthy primal eating and don't eat if you aren't hungry.
    It was Sara Lee, and a whopping 490 calories per slice. It tasted heavenly It was a dessert at my in-laws, so not something I keep in the house. I'm realizing that I eat pretty primal during the week but then the weekends, especially Sunday, trip me up. Something to work on!
    *~Sara~*

  8. #18
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't consider cheesecake necessarily to be a cheat. The ingredients are pretty good when a cheesecake is homemade--eggs and cream are main ingredients. You can avoid the crust if it has wheat in it and if you make your own you can make a better crust using nuts and dates.
    You can make a crustless cheesecake, too.

  9. #19
    purple579's Avatar
    purple579 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    What do you people find so attarctive in those cheat days? Eating shit? Feeling "good" afterwards? Why do you even do that?
    Grumpy mood today, sorry, but I really don't understand.
    Unless you're truly Grok and live in a cave, there's those times where you simply have to deal with social situations and eat the damn food. And sometimes you want to appreciate the taste combinations that the modern world has brought us and eat the cheesecake. Pretty sure the rest of don't live in caves, either, and sometimes I just want to eat what I want.
    For me, a good fast after a cheat day is a nice way to give my body a break and detox. It can vary in length, just until I truly feel hungry again. Then I get right back on track with Primal eating.

  10. #20
    SeaHorse's Avatar
    SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    158
    I don't live in a cave, I have friends, colleagues, social occasions, etc. I don't think a cheesecake, especially with fresh strawberries and crust left on plate could be called a "cheat DAY" . The same goes for wine and dark chocolate. Eat them and enjoy, look up the lists Mark has made, those are pretty ok foods.
    French cruasant on the other side - no. Do you have friends who don't respect your choices and don't care for your health? If you say to a real friend that you can't eat something because it makes you feel bad, they will feel ofended? If so, they are selfish egiosts, not friends, you could find better.
    Having a whole cheat day seems as sensible as having a "hitting my head agaist the wall day". We who come from CW were led to believe CW was ok way to eat and live but now when we know what exactly made us feel bad and have health problems, why return? To please others? They will forget within minutes that you took the "food", within a day that you refused it. On a big social occasion nobody will even notice what and how much you did or did not eat. They have their own interests closer to heart.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •