Thread: New Beginnings! page

Pecsgirl is offline Junior Member

New Beginnings!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good evening everyone!!!!
    Here I am, starting out on a new journey in life. I have decided that I want to switch my life to a Paleo diet. I have been on a strict diet for the last three years and have finally realized that I do not want to count, weigh, or be "on time" for a meal ever again. I have followed a 60 20 20 diet. I would take in 60% protein, 20% carbs and 20% fats. I had to weigh and count daily. I began to fall out of live with that diet and it began to make me realize that I am truly wanting a lifestyle change and not a daily routine change. After many months of reading and watching all this about Paleo, I have decided it seems perfect for me.

I am here for advice, tips, and help with my new beginning. I want this to be a fun experience and want to know that I am doing everything right. I feel a bit lost when it comes to what to eat and when to eat it.....but I know that is just coming from my mentality over the last couple of years....

I hope that I can find some help and direction on here and can turn to you all with any questions and concerns I may have!!
    Thank you in advance
    Pecsgirl

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Pecsgirl. There's a lot of freedom with this way of eating. Basically it comes down to just eating real food. Within that, it's up to you when and how much of anything you eat and there is so much variety available in the awesome meats, veges, eggs that are out there. Add in some fruit, nuts and dairy, and you're away. I feel great eating this way since my health improved and stabilised, along with my moods and my weight.

The first thing I did was ditch everything from my pantry that wasn't primal (sugar, processed oils, other processed items, legumes and of course flour and other grains), the rest was all positive.

You can eat everything else, and you should eat when you are hungry. For me, that has settled towards breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and I never count calories or macros (though I keep an eye on carbs). Other people eat maybe only once or twice a day, but larger meals. Whatever works for the individual.

You won't "get everything right" straight away, but that doesn't matter, it's a journey and there is room for learning. Good luck.

Pecsgirl is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the great reply!
    Is there any foods that you enjoy eating more than others? I see alot of people using cheese on here in the recipes....I thought cheese is not allowed?

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pecsgirl,
    Welcome and congratulations for taking a big step and starting primal. Cheese and dairy of any kind is a bit of a hazy spot in primal eating. Generally if you can digest it and like it - there is nothing wrong with eating it but it has to be the good stuff - stay away from the processed cheese and most cheese you can by at your local grocery store. You want a cheese that has fat and if possible comes from grass-fed cows. Goat cheese is also pretty good if you like it. I enjoy cheese but have cut it way back in my diet as I would eat it non-stop if I let myself.
    If you have not already done so reading Mark's books will give you a lot of great information about primal eating and the primal lifestyle in general.

I will pass on the same advice that I got when I first started - keep it simple and focus on the basics until you start to see change and feel you have a firm understanding of the lifestyle then you can start to tinker and modify it if you need to.

Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler