Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erin.Patti's Primal Journal page

Erin.Patti is offline Member

Erin.Patti's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    I started going primal in March, although tomorrow I am beginning the 21 day program, including adding primal fitness and I'm very excited about it. I lost about 8 lbs in 8 weeks, although after a camping trip last weekend where I was not primal, I gained a few of them back and haven't yet weighed myself in the last week. My clothes are tight again after feeling so great for a few weeks. I'm recommitting myself and feeling very good about it.

Today I write from a hotel room (travel for work), and I have completed my Primal fitness self assessment (starting at level one on all 4 essential movements, not surprised!) and ate a delicious primal cobb salad for dinner and sparkling water.

What I love: Fat! It tastes good! Who knew? I was a teenager in the 1980's and completely bought the "fat is bad" story. I've eaten more skinless boneless chicken breasts than anyone could count. It's amazing to start a way of eating where I'm adding something to my life I've avoided, measured, or felt guilty whenever I used it.

What I miss: Beer. I've been drinking gin and club soda when we go about, but I do miss drinking beer. However, since eliminating it from my diet, I am thrilled that I no longer feel bloated. And I am more likely to start a night out with a club soda then launching right into a drink, which is also great.

What I struggle with: I am still hungry on a schedule, although I feel less crazy when I need to eat. Before going primal, if I hadn't eaten and was hungry I would feel imbalanced and sometimes if I waited too long, completely irrational. I don't feel that way anymore, which is great. But I am hungry regularly even if I eat a high protein high fat meal. Watching and waiting to see how this changes.

I've been lurking on the boards and really looking forward to connecting with other people.

Cheers!
    Patti

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Cheers Patti. It sounds like you have made a great start to primal. As for the hunger, well there is nothing wrong with getting hungry periodically otherwise how would we know to eat? If it happens too soon though, perhaps you just need to make your meals a little larger. Good luck.

Thanks Annieh! I appreciate the encouragement. I'm a bit jealous of folks who don't feel the need to eat every three hours...

Yesterday I flew home and had a fantastic primal eating day, despite knowing I hadn't defrosted anything before I left. Luckily my boyfriend made some kind of chicken thigh thing and there was still some cauliflower-hazelnut-mushroom stuffing in the fridge.

Here's the day:
    Breakfast: omelet with veggies and feta cheese, sausage, some berries, a little salmon (hotel breakfast buffet) coffee with cream
    Lots of walking: city tour/site visit for upcoming event for work (As a part of my work, we coordinate a big event. Luckily, I'm only involved in a site visit after the location is booked. I can't stand the sales side of things and really just want to roll my eyes the whole time and get to business. On the plus side, the food is usually really good.)
    Lunch: Bacon, avocado, turkey over greens with a red wine vinaigrette, water
    In airport: almonds
    Dinner: Chicken thigh, cauliflower-mushroom-hazlenut stuffing

Bourbon and soda water while catching up on Mad Men. (and Celebrity Apprentice, don't judge me for my tv. feel free to judge what I eat though).

A little about why I started/why I'm here.

After being sick all winter (a cold which persisted and became walking pneumonia and a sinus infection, then the norovirus (do not recommend, avoid this one at all costs) then another cold I decided to find a primary care physician and see if there was anything I should be worried about.

Regarding being sick, she said there was nothing underlying, mostly bad luck. But my cholesterol came back a little high and I'm overweight. I'm 42 and in March the scale said 215 (iIm 5'6). Like many others here, I've been up and down the scale before, and tried weight watchers, increased exercise, high fiber, I have a bookshelf full of books about how to eat--Dean Ornish, Mark Bittman, more than one 30 day program etc etc. I really could not fathom counting points again and being hungry. at all. and nothing else really worked.

I mentioned this to someone who thankfully pointed me to the book Why We Get Fat and What to Do Aout It by Gary Taubes which explained in great detail the way we've been misled about carbs. I spent the weekend researching the theory/science behind it including a fantastic lecture which backed up the book. I also believe that food policy in this country is terrible, the USDA is in the pockets of big agriculture and all of that leads to cheap food that is terrible for you. I immediately went on a very low carb diet, with no fruit and mostly greens as the veggies, plus fat and meat.

I felt great. Within three days I was no longer feeling bloated or gassy and my energy was great. But less than 50g carbs is not sustainable for me, although I was adhering to the plan about 6 days per week.

Luckily, a Mr Money Moustache post (a frugal/early retirement blog I love) mentioned Mark's Daily Apple and here I am. I'm loving the recipes on the site. I think I am probably doing between 50 - 100g of carbs. I'm planning to give it 21 days to see if I can figure out what the right combo of foods for me.

I'd love to be 185 again with great blood work. I'd love to not worry about what I look like in pictures (or naked). I'd love to go running again (something I stopped because of plantar fasciitis).

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast
    home made sausage, spinach and two egg scramble with a sliced tomato
    half orange
    coffee with cream

Lunch
    spiced chicken thighs (sauteed in coconut oil and butter) with red chard, a little coconut milk
    seltzer water
    green tea

Dinner
    Butter Chicken (recipe I found here-- excellent)
    broccoli

Added a short walk today. Still feel a little sore from squats from the evaluation I did on Sunday.

grokerella is offline Junior Member
    Hey again Patti,

I feel you on beer, I absolutely love it. Thankfully I'm too poor to afford it very often lol I've heard good things about a couple of gluten free beers, so I might try one the next time I spring for a beer. No idea what I'll drink on the rare occasions I go out to the local bar. I'm curious to see what carb intake will work best for me too. There's a lot of fine lines to figure out it seems!
    SW: 257.something
    CW: 248.4

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Hi Grokerella,

Yes, beer. I come from a family of Beer Snobs, and I love trying new beers so this one is tough for me. Trying to be primal without beer for now, because I don't know if I could have just one!
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Today is Day 3 of the 21 Day Total Body Transformation, which means the first day of the primal movement exercises. I actually did them after work, which is pretty amazing. The boyfriend was at work with no risk of coming home and catching me rubbing my butt up and down the wall for squats, so I went for it.

Here's the progress:

Wall Push Up
    Goal 40 First set: 40 Second Set: 30
    Noticeably more tired on the second set

Pull up (2 feet)
    Goal 20 0 I have to find the bar and put it up. It's still in the box where its been since I bought 2 summers ago in a sleepy haze of waking up with the tv on and the commercial for p90X blaring and feeling agreement with everything the testimonials said-- I only have a small space to work out in! I have an hour a day! Etc Etc Several clicks later and there we were. I made it to Day 5. I'm rooting for a different outcome with this, clearly.

Wall Squat
    Goal 50 First Set 30/Second Set 30
    It's possible some of those on the last set weren't so good.

Hand/Knee Plank
    Goal 90 sec First Set 10 sec/Second Set 10 sec
    This is much harder than it looks.

Hand/Knee Side Plank
    Goal 45 sec 0 I somehow missed this while doing the work out.

I took a short walk afterwards.

Even though this was a short workout (maybe 10 mins) not counting the walk, I am pretty sure I will feel it tomorrow.

Grokerella--
    I meant to add-- let me know what happens the next time you venture out and have a gluten free beer! I'm definitely curious.

Patti

grokerella is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I definitely will! My boys leave for their dad's house this weekend, I might pick up some to console myself lol The hard part of course will be to only drink one! I'll have to go to a different liquor store, my favorite does mix-a-six and rotates out different microbrews. *sigh* when I'm at a healthy weight I can choose to occasionally imbibe. Until then, I'm stuck with a GF beer every once in a blue moon lol

I need to start doing more of the movements! Since the weather was crap today I didn't walk so I told myself I'd do DDP yoga (kind of silly, but you can definitely feel it!). Now to just work up the motivation! Keep up the good work!
    SW: 257.something
    CW: 248.4

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast