Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Erin.Patti's Primal Journal page 5

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    Zumba was great yesterday-- super fun and really happy I went.

And speaking of happy. Read this great article on 10 Things that Increase Happiness (backed by science) and exercise is on the list.

Its funny to me how hard it is to get motivated to exercise, and how happy I am afterwards. Yesterday I was really happy, today I woke up feeling great. I feel like I should then want to do it more often, or at least it should be much less hard to get motivated to do it again.

which brings me to today's post in Mr Money Moustache about the surprising effects of small efforts over time. I've tried to practice this more consciously, and it makes a difference to start with small behaviors and build over time. At some point I feel like I come to some kind of momentum where some things just become easier (to the point of not thinking about them, just doing them)

I've worked towards increasing the amount of local produce I buy. First it was making the effort to go to the farmers market on a regular basis. Then last summer it became a challenge-- I challenged myself to spend more at the market then I do at the grocery store. Then once all my debt was paid off (yay!) I began buying some meat at the market (and coffee for the week too). Now I rarely go to the grocery store and my freezer is stocked with meat from a local farm.

I'd love to adopt this for exercising, but have not yet reached the point of momentum, where the choice to do activity is just part of my day, and not a big effing deal, every effing time.

Tips? Help?
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Yesterday I took a walk in the middle of the day based on the Happiness article.

Today I have decided to take a half day because it is so gorgeous outside and my projects are on target (more or less). This summer day is to beautiful to waste at my desk. My goal is to find something to do outside for the afternoon.

Last night Big T made a delicious brisket, I made a corn tomato salad, and boiled red potatoes and it was sooo good.

I did wake up at 3 AM or so and had fitful weird sleep after that.

Made a zucchini tomato onion egg scramble for breakfast, brought leftovers for lunch and defrosting salmon for dinner.

Yesterday was amazing!

I took a half day and convinced T to go outside with me. We went on a walk/hike (hike that it was on a trail, walk in that it was pretty flat so...hard to really call a hike in my book) which we have NEVER done before together. It was probably about 3 or so miles, perfect weather, really great. Then we went to the pub and met friends, (I drank gin and club soda) picked up our fresh produce (eggs, beets, carrots, parsnips, a little bit of chard), came home, watched Big Brother (please don't judge) and I made salmon in foil packets with eggplant, onions, pepper, tomato. Delicious.

This morning (feeling GREAT!!) I made some okra in tomatoes, onions, and peppers with eggs and bacon. Also delicious and really great way to start the day. We have had so much produce that I have been trying to include some in breakfast every morning.

If every day could be yesterday!!

The past few days have been great, but not primal.

Thursday night I went with a friend to something called Paint Nite -- where you buy tickets to paint a picture. There'a a lead artist (who is a friend of my friend) and she walked us through how to do it. I called it "Drunken Paint by the Numbers" although we did all of the painting and color choices ourselves. It was fun. I did drink a lot of wine and eat a lot of sushi.

On Friday, Big T and I went shopping for apartment stuff. The goal was furniture-- we really need some kind of kitchen island to add some storage. We went to a fantastic second hand furniture place, where T bought a desk for the second bedroom, and I found a purple chaise lounge which I would love to put in the main bedroom (but did not buy it). No kitchen island things. However, we bought a bunch of kitchen stuff for super cheap (cast iron frying pan, 4 piece camping cook set for $8!!, etc). SO No Kitchen island, but more kitchen stuff. We spent about $100 total, including the desk.

Then to Bed Bath and Beyond, because I really want to put black out curtains in the main bedroom. We are directly behind a parking lot with bright lights-- very bright. Black out curtains, rods, brackets etc for 3 windows (plus a hanging shower caddy) even with a 20% off entire purchase was $180. So expensive. And it turns out I need to exchange one because we got the wrong size

We stopped at Five Guys for food-- at this point I was really hungry. So I got a burger and ate the bun plus the fries. AND loved it. The burger was really good, and I prob could have bought without the bun, but you know what, I really enjoyed it. We both drank water instead of soda, which I have given up entirely and not looked back.

Given that we had homemade barbecue chicken and veggies for breakfast, then Five Guys, I made a veggie dinner. Spaghetti squash with a veggie sauce made of all the veggies that were in a "use 'em or lose 'em state" with some capers, hot pepper flakes and marjoram. Plenty for me. T ate it as a side with a piece of chicken.

We watched Hunger Games on netflix and then crashed-- or at least I did!

Today we are helping a friend move and then seeing a friend's band. Hopefully the move will go well and be easy.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The 6 mo check up with the doctor happened this morning!

The results:
    Based on their records, I have lost 10 lbs. On my last appointment 6 months ago I was 215 and today I am 205. (more on this later)
    Resting pulse: 78
    BP: 122/80

All good! I am going back tomorrow morning to do fasting blood work (the cream in my coffee disqualified me this morning). I am very interested to see how my cholesterol numbers have changed.

SO, my own personal goals were to be under 200 by the time this appointment came around and I am not. Last week I had a carb fest. Last Friday my boyfriend baked bread and I was dealing with a ton of tomatoes which I may or may not have bought when slightly tipsy..... I had an idea of canning the tomatoes, but ended up peeling them, separating the flesh from the juice and guts and then just got tired of the process.

This led to an amazing day of bruschetta! Which i enjoyed. immensely. Then went to a baseball game where i drank multiple beers. This is a huge day of carbs for me-- there has been none like it since March, I think. I was definitely bloated the next day. Also, last week I ate a huge porchetta sandwich including amazing italian bread. I have to say that while I do not crave bread, homemade bread is really delicious.

I've also learned that while I do enjoy bread, it is hard to stop eating it. That bruschetta was so delicious I ate it ALL DAY. ALL DAY!!!! and then BEER! This is also all happened on a PMS Day. I recently went off the pill in order to lessen the hormones in my body, and have a IUD. As a result I now experience all of the joys of PMS.

So that happened, and I have been back mostly paleo since.

Also, I have rejoined the gym, and last week did two zumba classes and a kickboxing class where clearly the instructor was trying to kill me. The good news is, though older, and honestly, fatter, than the other people in the class, I finished it and with some amount of dignity still in tact.

This is more activity than Mark suggests, but given that I have a weight loss goal, I think its important to see what happens if I increase my exercise in meaningful ways.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345