Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Erin.Patti's Primal Journal page 4

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Scale still at 205 this morning-- excellent.

Sleeping has been fitful. We have the windows open. We have a lot of street traffic, then at 3AM a squawking bird starts. Big T got up at 6 for his gig and I haven't gone back to sleep. So I was in bed for 8 hours but don't have that yummy rested feeling that I like.

I did some stretches yesterday and my hamstrings feel better. I made an appointment with someone I used to see for Alexander Technique lessons when I was recovering from plantar fasciitis-- a condition I would not wish on anyone. There were times when I would get up in the morning last year and not be able to bear weight on my left foot for the first 10 or so minutes of the day.

I finally!! saw an orthopedist last winter and was getting steroid shots for a few weeks and got orthotics which I now wear in my tennis shoes. He also said I have arthritis in my foot (even though I am 42). I limit the amount of time I wear shoes without some kind of support, and heels are basically out for me (which for the most part is fine, although I do like to dress up every once in awhile) I also sought out an Alexander Technique teacher to help address the issue more holistically. She helped me with some posture issues and some simple things-- releasing my arms when I walk, etc. I was holding my shoulders up by my ears with stilted arms. All of these things are connected and when you are injured, you can tighten other areas of your body to compensate. I'm going back for a visit now that I am exercising and experiencing the tightness in my hamstrings. It will be good to have her observe me and give me some direction.

The other thing about starting the Alexander Technique lessons last year-- it was the beginning of a commitment to put me and my health first. At 42, I realize that this is the body I have, this is the body I will grow old in (That is the plan), and the very best thing that I can do for the Future Me is take care of the Current Me. I didn't feel up to starting to exercise given the foot pain but I knew I had to address the problem in order to be able to exercise.

So now here we are, groundwork laid, beginning the steps to take action.

Yesterday:
    Lunch:
    Chipotle: pork over lettuce with tomato salsa and guacamole

Snack:
    Froyo-- probably about 2 oz of chocolate yogurt with berries, almond slices and coconut
    This was a bit of an experiment. We needed a break at work and I definitely was in the mood for something sweet. There's limited nutritional information available at the store, so I chose the yogurt flavor that was not labeled low fat.

Dinner:
    Leftover taco bowl with cheese, kale chips

Later:
    a couple pieces of beet, goat cheese with celery
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Holding steady at 205

Have not exercised this week, although I've done a lot of activity in the apt-- many many loads of laundry (2 flights of stairs each time) sorting things and taking trash out etc.

I took today off from work and went to my Alexander Technique appointment and it was enlightening as always. I have a tendency to shrink my shoulders in and pull my weight downward, instead of lifting up and feeling the space between my arms and body, ribs and organs, etc. It is shocking how much difference a few adjustments make-- my quads loosen and I don't feel that tightness that I have been struggling with.

On Wednesday I picked up freshly picked veggies from a farm doing a farm drop at the pub. I got:
    chard
    spinach
    red mustard
    mushrooms (shitake and oyster mix)
    mint
    lovage

For dinner that night we had flank steak, fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter, and chard also sauteed in butter. It was Primal Dinner Heaven.

It as a giant flank steak so lunches (as well as dinner yesterday) have been flank steak over spinach with tomatoes and spring onions. I had the last of it today.

My friends are on the way to visit for the weekend and I have made some guacamole and started prepping some sangria. We'll have carne asada (Trader Joe's) tonight with onions, peppers and the guacamole. I can make rice if needed.

I also bought some crackers to go with some cheese and I am still on the fence about whether I'll eat them or not. It's usually better when I decide ahead of time. I bought a delicious kale and yogurt dip and baby carrots so I have a good option.

Trying to balance making things from scratch with convenience and hanging out. I think I have it together this time. I am often freaking out because I put too much on my plate when planning to have people come over. I'm much more focused now on-- What will be the most fun way to spend my time? Turns out the answer to that is sangria and guacamole!

Love love love a long weekend!

205.5 this morning after some coffee and a weekend of non-primal revelry. I'll take it.

My friends arrived Friday night, left Monday morning and a whole lot of fun (plus eating and drinking) in between. Really amazing and fantastic time all around.

Friday
    Sangria
    Carne Asada
    Onions Peppers
    Assorted snacks including some cured meats and cheeses, nuts, dip and carrots

I did put out crackers and bought some flatbread. I tasted the rosemary raisin crackers which are delicious. No one ate them though and they are still on top of my fridge.

Saturday
    Took my friends to the market and had the best Non Primal food-- homemade biscuit sandwiches by these two guys that I think I might be a little bit in love with. Men who bake get my juices flowing. Sat's biscuit sand: Andouille sausage and farm raised egg. At the first bite, my friend said, "Sweet holy moses." Exactly.

After some quality coffee and hanging out time, we went to the Visionary Arts Museum-- one of my most favorite places. I had a groupon so we only paid full price for one of us at the door.

Late lunch was a crab feast and beer. Delicious.

I definitely noticed bloating and general gassiness-- things that I used to feel regularly, but don't since going primal. Damn You, Beer!

Big T came home and it was a night of bar hopping (via cab) and then Korean barbecue. I switched to Gin and Sodas. Lots of hilarity and silliness.

Sunday
    I made breakfast: greens (kale with the rest of the red mustard), pork sausage I spiced myself, and scrambled eggs, pulled out the berries that didn't make it into the sangria. The organic blackberries were effin fantastic.

We went to Sowebo-- an arts and music festival with some of my Balto friends-- and bought some cool stuff from the vendors. Jewelry, t shirts, etc. Hung out.

Ate some pulled pork and cole slaw (did not eat bread), had some food envy because my friend's brisket was clearly the superior choice, beer. Got so much sun!

More beer.

Dinner at home-- I made jerk chicken and tomato/cucumber salad. We watched the Michael Douglas/ Matt Damon Liberace movie on HBO. a little speechless.

Monday
    Not much in the house now, so they left without breakfast (bad hostess)

I was hungry and ate my way through the leftover bits from the weekend plus some nuts. Dinner was a piece of the jerk chicken and tomato salad.

Made some veggie broth out of leftover veggies and some sauerkraut with sauteed onion and apple, then ate some of that.

On the whole, I am happy with my decisions. Broke primal for a biscuit sandwich, which was delicious and worth it, plus beer. I won't go back to drinking beer every day, but it was fun for the weekend and happily, I don't regret it.

Scale is now at 203! I've hit my first goal of 10 lbs lost!!

Last week my low was 204.5 and a high of 206.5 so I know there is fluctuation, but it is really gratifying to see 203. 203 was my prior "top weight" in 1999/2000 when I did weight watchers and dropped to probably 185. Then I gained again, did weight watchers again, started running and was down to 175. I still have the 25 lbs lost magnet on my fridge. Then high pressure job and back up to 190's. Then divorce and back down to 170's-- one of the few times that a stressful situation led me to no appetite.

Then new boyfriend (who bakes!) and a general philosophy of "It's time to enjoy myself" (which it was) and I topped out at 213. I felt the weight creeping back up but I refused to count calories and live a life of deprivation. I really can't stand being hungry. My motto was-- If you have a boyfriend who makes pizza from scratch, eat it! And I did, and LOTS of it.

What I love most about being primal is that I can enjoy myself and take care of myself at the same time.

I recently joined a CSA with a Monday pick up, and a friend has organized a farm drop at our local pub on Wednesdays (and the farmers are amazing delightful people). Luckily, there is not a lot of overlap of products between the two and I am overflowing in vegetables. On some days, I am having salad for breakfast!

I'm really enjoying eating vegetables that were picked that day and the eggs are incredible.

We also bought a Soda Stream and have been making home made seltzer water which is SO fun and also delicious.

I have not been exercising and probably won't until after our move in about 10 days. With the exception of sinus pressure from the hideous humidity and some foot pain, I feel really fantastic. And my jeans don't feel tight!!

The scale still says 203. Exciting!

Yesterday:
    bacon, 2 eggs, spinach with a little carrot top sauteed in butter
    coffee, cream

Lunch:
    salad including bibb lettuce. arugula, tuna, snap peas, olive oil salt and pepper

Dinner:
    Big Ol' Pork Chop (a little soy, sesame oil, siracha, salt, pepper, garlic marinade)
    Maple glazed turnips
    salad: bibb lettuce, arugula, tomato

Yesterday
    Breakfast
    bacon, 3 egg pesto omelet, carrot tops in butter
    coffee half and half

Lunch
    bibb lettuce, tomato, feta cheese, pistachios, arugula, olive oil

Out with friends
    Gin and Club Sodas

Dinner
    Flank Steak over romaine, arugula, mint and tomato salad

Woke up twice-- horrible sinus pressure with barometric changes. We have a huge storm coming.

Today
    2 eggs, swiss chard and carrot tops in butter
    coffee/half and half

While the storm clouds mounted, I couldn't find my raincoat. GAH. Finally did, then the rain came pouring down. Timed everything exactly wrong.

Lunch
    bibb lettuce, arugula, kolhrabi, daikon radish, purple carrot, olive oil and vinegar, flank steak

Dinner
    Have a meeting out (and all day meetings tomorrow) however, there are really good primal options.

It's been almost a month since I last posted. During that time, we moved and I LOVE the new place and so happy to be out of the old place with all of its building management drama. I am ready to battle for our security deposit. The company has a history of not giving them back and I plan on getting ours back. Of course I want the money, but its also the principle.

The good news though is that I really love the new place. The kitchen/dining area/living room are one open space. There's more cabinet and counter space but we still need to buy a cabinet/island thing of some sort so we can take our small appliances off the counter (food processor, kitchen aid, sodastream....etc)

I've eaten mostly primal although probably falling short of 80% of the time. Most of my food right now is coming from our CSA and the veggies from the Pub Drop and it is an amazing thing to eat food that was picked that day. The eggs are my favorite things and I eat 2 almost every day. I made a Trader Joe's run and have been eating a lot of fish. But I've had days when I have been running errands and hungry (which = sandwich including the bread, although it was really effing delicious) or out with friends and slipped into having a couple of beers on the 4th of July, I've also had more sugar in the past week then probably the last three months (ice cream! gelato! fruit crisp!) I also have not exercised.

Overall I still feel pretty good though but itchy to create a routine again and see some progress.

I like that I can come here and be accountable-- report on what I am doing without all of the FEELINGS.

I have a doctor's appointment in August and I want to be under 200 lbs with improved cholesterol numbers then.

Things are still much the same as when I posted a month ago.

My diet is probably at about 80% Paleo-- although I find there are so many reasons to make exceptions. Last week a close friend visited and we ate out together a few times. I probably have had bread more times in the last week then in the last several months altogether. Also a few beers!

The food in the house is almost completely paleo-- now with an exciting new addition! I toured a farm where all the animals are pasture-raised a month or so ago and finally decided to place an order for a mixed box of about 20 lbs of meat including lamb, beef, pork and chicken. Tonight we had leg of lamb and since it was small also made the lamb "riblets" -- delicious. I'm really glad that I made this decision and am also really excited about trying the other meat.

Here's the eggplant, zucchini and tomato bake I made to go with the lamb. Used goat cheese instead of feta, because that's what we had and I think it improved the dish. Used almond meal and parmesan instead of panko and olive oil-- also quite good. Between the CSA and the pub drop, we've been overrun with zucchini and tomatoes (although I will never ever complain about too many tomatoes) so I was very happy to find this recipe and to like it sooo much.

Here's the leg of lamb recipe. delicious as written-- no changes necessary.

My friend that visited exercises a lot and so we took several walks while she was here. Today I kept up the tradition and walked after dinner for about 35 mins. Tomorrow I plan on walking to meet my sister at the farmers market ( 1 mile there, with the mile back almost entirely uphill) and Monday I am going to a zumba class. Before this week, I hardly exercised at all-- pretty much since the move. I could blame it on the humidity, but I know the truth is that I am not carving out the time and sticking to a plan.

In the past month, my weight has been as high as 206 and as low as 204, although I don't know what it is today. While I would really like to be under 200 when I go for my physical in about 3 weeks, I do know that may not happen and am going to focus on doing some physical activity daily rather than the scale.

Great exercise day!
    Walked to the farmer's market (1 mile) then to my sister's (.5 mile?) then we did some shopping and they dropped me off at home.

Later I was inspired to do some arm exercises and jumping jacks, so I did.

I also took a 50 minute walk (then stretched-- trying to be vigilant about adding stretching to the walk routine-- see also, trying to start a walk routine ) then made delicious spicy fish curry with green beans, eggplant, zuchhini, onion, chile pepper, with fresh ginger, garlic, turmeric and an african curry spice blend with coconut oil and coconut milk. Might have gone a wee bit overboard on the spices, but still so delicious.

Breakfast was a sage sausage and pit beef sandwich (minus the bread) at the market, lunch was the rest of the sausage/pit beef with the leftovers from the eggplant bake.

snack-- ate some macadamia nuts.

Really REALLY looking forward to Breaking Bad tonight!!

Last night I had some chocolate and bourbon with soda water and orange slices while watching Breaking Bad. So good!

This morning the scale says 204 which I feel is a win.

My plan for the day is to eat 100% Paleo and go to Zumba at 5:30pm.

Picking up my CSA today which includes a watermelon which I plan to turn into a Thai Watermelon and Radish salad. Planning on making ground beef lettuce wraps too, I think. This will be the first of the grass fed/pasture raised ground beef.

Also, I feel pretty great this morning. I've been feeling really groggy most mornings-- lasting well into the day regardless of how much coffee I drink.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast