Thread: Primal Family page

ayumi is offline Member

Primal Family

Shop Now
    I'm a Minnesotan mom of three boys, going Primal to help decrease symptoms of asthma. It's been a challenging week so far, but I've been feeling pretty great! My husband is dipping his toe in the Primal pool too but has a tough time with his Scandinavian craving for sugar.

It would be nice to connect with other moms here. I'd love to exchange ideas on how to make PB work on a budget and with fickle kid taste buds...

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm a dad, not a mom, but do a lot of the cooking in our house, and we just finished a Whole 30. For over a year previous, I had been the only Primal member of the family, but this Spring my wife decided to jump in to see how it would work for our kids. The big difference during the 30 was that there just wasn't any non-Primal food in the house. This is key, or else someone will reach for the bread or sweets. My daughter (8y.o.) went from fickle to asking for more steak and green beans. We also discovered her love of vichyssoise! (with the kids we didn't rule out potatoes for the whole 30) My son is weaned from his sugar. Both their energy levels and emotions seem more steady and stable.

Thing is, you have to really stick it out for 2-3 weeks--it was a bit of a tough adjustment, but would have been near impossible if there were other options in the house. This is where your husband comes in! It can be tough to avoid strife if someone is feeling dictated to about their food choices...but if he would go for it for 30 days, you both might see some great changes in the kids and feel it's worth it. Good luck.

ayumi is offline Member
    Thanks for commenting, Tom! Our three boys are between 9-14 so they eat a lot. I'm still learning the ropes so they have cereal and bread until I know how much meat/veg will fill them up.

What are some fun Primal foods that your kids like? My kids seem to like almonds but are picky when it comes to vegetables. (Nothing new there, right? )

Skarlett98 is offline Junior Member
    I'm a mother of two kids and we have just started primal this week. My kids are 10 & 7. My hubby and I jumped straight in, the kids are still having sandwiches at school but alternating with salads and cold meats. I started making my own dried fruits this weekend just gone for the kids to snack on. But like you are keen on ideas for the kids.

ayumi is offline Member
    Welcome, Skarlett I'll share some recipe ideas and experiences with kids at my journal post. Hope to see you there!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the Primal lifestyle! Our family (three boys 11, 7, &3) has been primal for three years now and there is just no going back for us. The kids were a slower transition. Our staples now is almond butter & honey on rice cake, lunch meats, grass fed hot dogs, scrambled eggs, almond flour pancakes Tonight we had zucchini noodles ( made with a handy dandy spiralizer) and meat sauce. There is still a lot of complaining but I think that happens to many families primal or not. They eat what's prepared or go to bed hungry. They usually choose to eat.

You can check out my journal to see what I'm up to. I'd love to connect.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

ayumi is offline Member
    Thank you for stopping by, Momto3! Our kids still eat a lot of bread but we are slowly transitioning them by sharing what we make. The younger ones don't like almond butter yet, but there's hope. When I started eating hummus some time ago, the kids hated it but in a few months developed a taste for it. We hope this works for Primal -- takes time for kids to adapt out of bad habits :/

Are there other snacks or treats that you used to help the transition for your kids?

I love the idea of spiral zucchini! What brand do you use to make it? That gadget has been on my mind for a while. Maybe next month we'll finally get one -- it seems fun to use.

Do stop by my journal if you can, I hope to share recipes and tips over time.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

ayumi is offline Member
    Awesome, thank you! Added it to my wish list.