Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grokerella's Primal Journal page

grokerella is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Grokerella's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    Time to start this journey, been living a SAD life for too long. About 12 years ago I started gaining weight and have made a progression to the point where I'm at now. After a lot of soul searching I've figured out a lot of what contributed to me getting to this place. But that's all in the past!

Just a quick blip about me: I'm a single mom of 2 amazing boys, swear frequently and with a ferver, full time student (social work and political science), have 2 super cutey cute pups, and am currently living in southern Colorado (although that will change after I finish my undergraduate degrees...)

I want to use this journal to help me stay accountable, get support, track progress AND set backs. Some of my immediate goals are to continue with Primal/Paleo going forward, not let (inevitable) setbacks derail me completely, and finally stop being controlled by food.

I'm using Plan to Eat to help me plan meals and create the oh-so-important shopping lists (as opposed to just wandering around stores and grabbing based on cravings and whims. I'm using MyPlate to input food to see where I am at with fats, proteins, and carbs.

Sooo... on to today

B: 3 slices of bacon, 3 yummy yolkey eggs fried in the grease
    S: slightly over charred kale chips, still yummy and salty (kid and dog approved lol)

lunch is going to be a salad with a homemade orange poppy seed dressing and baked chicken strips. For dinner I'm planning on proscutto wrapped chicken and a heaping pile of chardy goodness!

WOD: walked a little over a mile and a half (been walking regularly for a couple of weeks now. my goal is to get up to walking 4 miles comfortably then start couch25k program with the eventual goal of becoming a runner doing a few miles a few times a week. I've accepted the fact that I'll start out looking like a lumbering ox who got left behind by her fellow oxen during a stampede lol thankfully there aren't many mountain lions around)

I weighed yesterday, 251.something that I forgot, goal weight of around 145-160. Yes that much of a variance lol I'll let my body see where it wants to be. Just getting under 200 will be the best thing since sliced bacon.
    Last edited by grokerella; 05-06-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Lunch and dinner were fairly successful. I've been in a convenience food nightmare for far too long. The salad dressing at lunch came out okay but it came out super oniony from the shallot that went into it. I think I'll add some more orange juice and oil to it in the morning before I head to work.

Dinner was chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto with red chard. The chicken came out dry and the chard came out soggy and it still felt better eating it than some frankenfood garbage. Once I get used to using my new gas stove/oven and cooking whole foods in general I'm sure things will turn out better. Amazingly, despite the lack of awesomeness in my cooking skills, my boys ate everything on their plates! We've been talking a lot about healthful food versus frankenfoods and the effects of corporate farming, GMOs, etc. They are hesitantly on board I sweetened the deal by getting a small package of delicious looking cookies from the healthfood store (that I didn't eat), not primal, but much better than the treats they've eaten in the past. Later when I've had a chance to work out how my body responds to paleo, I'll start making some paleo desserts occasionally. Something to look forward to!
    SW: 257.something
    CW: 248.4

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Today has been good overall. First day at work (bookstore on campus - I luuuuurv books!). My supe told me ix-nay on my five fingers, which is tragic because I despise shoes. My five fingers are the closest I can handle. Thankfully a friend gave me a brand new pair of sneakers which didn't work for her. They're a bit too big, which is really saying something, I have huuuge feet, so I feel a bit like Frankenstein's monster clomping around in them with their required "thick soles", sigh. After I know my supe a little better maybe I'll bring up the issue again for a discussion.

After work my wrist started hurting like a mother for some reason. Still hurts. Not surprisingly, heat only helped in the moment and then made it substantially worse after. I hate cold. So I will just be careful and suffer a little lol

B: 5 delicious little fried eggs and 3 slices of bacon (which doesn't need described as delicious because that much is obvious)
    L: Protein shake, chocolatey and satisfying, but need to look for a new brand with a bit less junk in it - although I feel it's better than most.
    D: Mmmmm New York strip with semi-forbidden blue cheese that I thought I hated until today and asparagus with a home-made Hollandaise sauce. yum-o.
    S: A little bit of turkey pepperoni with evil nitri/ates in it, organic jerky with 5 damn grams of sugar in it, and some pistachios. But my boys were having twizzlers and popcorn so I think I did alright considering the alternative. Also had some more coffee with stevia and HWC and my beloved sparkling water. I do love me some bubbles.

Did quite a bit of walking and a minute amount of lifting at work. Tomorrow I'm off so I'll go for an actual walk and I'm sure once books start coming in for fall there will be plenty of lifting for me to do in the future. Plus the weight lifting class I'm signed up for this fall. And hoping I'm not the only one short on testerone and high on bodyfat... not that I'd want the testerone, but I could do without the excess body fat... and I will.
    Last edited by grokerella; 05-06-2013 at 07:47 PM.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Grokerella. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thanks Hedonist2!

― Winston Churchill

So before going for windy walk with a dog that was chasing leaves like a cat, I weighed myself. I went up again a little. This is always disappointing but thankfully I kept it in perspective. Now I know that people on MDA have some strong opinions on the matter, but the question before me now is whether to continue to weigh daily (in hopes of seeing patterns based on what I eat, weather, TOM, astrological signs or whatever else will give me a clue as to what my body wants to give up the buckets of fat (such a pleasing visual is it not?)... But on the other hand, I also like the idea of plugging away and weighing more sporadically to (hopefully) see larger returns at the scale. Decisions, decisions... Again, I think of this as more a personal thing that won't be the same for everyone. I think I'll wait until right before my trip next week to weigh again.

On the plus side, despite the small, temporary gain, I do feel better and oddly enough thinner. Am I likely to be much thinner at this point? Nope. But there's something pretty incredible to be said for a shift in thinking. This time is different. Previous attempts at weight loss were more like, "YEEEEES!!!! I AM SO DOING THIS!!!! YAAAAY!!!", whereas this time is more like, yep. this time it's happening. it's going to be a loooong sloooow journey, but in the end I will get there", a calm acceptance type feeling as opposed to a fake cheerleader experience where I try and convince myself that I'm going to do it. This time I actually know that I'm going to do it. A little at a time and with lots of delicious steak. I can handle that.

― Winston Churchill

So I just found this cool site (unfortunately just for women, but there might be something similar for men) that people submit pictures of themselves based on weight and height. To me it was helpful to create a realistic view of what I should expect to look like based on certain weights. Not as a strict guideline of course, just a reference, but as a woman I need reminded that society's expectations are not realistic. For me 150 is pretty much ideal as a fit person, so that's roughly what I'm going to aim for. And no, I'm not going to think about how much that is I need to lose lol

― Winston Churchill

prpledrgn1 is offline Junior Member
    I can identify with you, the scale says no weight lost but I feel thinner and overall just dang healthier keep up the inspirational posts

thanks prpledrgn1!

― Winston Churchill

Erin.Patti is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    HI! Thanks for posting the site where you can see what people weigh. Fascinating. When I would flip channels and come across The Biggest Loser, the most interesting part to me was seeing what people weighed and what they looked like, just to start having some association that is connected to reality.

I'm also struggling with whether to weigh myself daily. I'm currently 207.5 I started at about 213 in March. The lowest I've been is 206.5 and I shot up to 210 after a camping trip and freaked out a bit. I'm on my way down again from that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast