Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIT time under load and Strength rep schemes page

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

HIT time under load and Strength rep schemes

Shop Now
    So I didn't use the term "vs" because I'm not focusing on an either/or discussion. Actually I'm looking at some commonalities in the building of strength and muscle between what at first glance seems to be different philosophies. I can't take complete credit either because I know I've read some of this in the past elsewhere... just cant put my finger on where.

So something for us to look into and think about. I currently do one working set to failure that usually lasts between 50-90 seconds depending on the exercise and if I've just increased the resistance ect.... This is a TUL or Time under tension without rest and without lockout of the joints. Currently my cadence is close to 5/5 so anywere from 4-8 reps usually. When you do a slow cadence the first 2 reps are usually purposely slowed while the last couple reps are that slow cause your pushing with 100% effort and the weight just ain't gonna move any faster.

When we perform multiple sets how much time is your muscle actually under tension? 1-2 seconds concentric and maybe 2 seconds eccentric right? So less than half the time under tension for a working set of 5. Seems likely that 3-5 sets will get your TUL to the same totals right? Is this just an interesting coincidence or is there a mechanism to this total time of muscular work that is optimal for stimulating increased muscle size and strength? What do you think?

Oh, to reiterate....not a "my program is better than yours" discussion here. I actually blend the two right now, but have done both exclusively also.

If anyone finds the blog post that I stole this from please post it.....
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-05-2013 at 01:11 PM.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    if i remember correctly, dorian yates used to train in this manner. several "warm-up" sets, culminating in one working set. i'm not exactly sure of the cadence he performed the lifts of that working set.

how many warm-up sets are you performing before you actually do the working set? and at what cadence and rep ranges? what % of the weight of the working set?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Well this was my last workout:

Weighted Chins 50lbs/drop set to BW 60s/32s TUL
    Weighted Dips 60lbs/drop set to BW 47s/27s TUL
    Leg press 87s TUL

HIT to failure with about a 5/5 cadence. No rest between exercises. Followed this routine with some pushups and lateral raises as some "accessory" work.

So rep wise wise I do fall in the 4-8 category depending on if you count my drop set which is done as part of my original and flows right in since all I do is drop the weight belt and continue.

For warmup I go through the whole workout 2x as a circuit with no weight and just do the movements 5-10 reps.

Its really hard to say what percent of my max I am working at. I haven't maxed out in a very long time. This weight is definitely "heavy" for me though. Sure I could be doing more weight with no attention to cadence and using more momentum, but that tends to go against why I'm using this method. I go till temporary muscle failure then stay contracted for at least 10 seconds as a rule.

Well this was my last workout:

Weighted Chins 50lbs/drop set to BW 60s/32s TUL
    Weighted Dips 60lbs/drop set to BW 47s/27s TUL
    Leg press 87s TUL

HIT to failure with about a 5/5 cadence. No rest between exercises. Followed this routine with some pushups and lateral raises as some "accessory" work.

So rep wise wise I do fall in the 4-8 category depending on if you count my drop set which is done as part of my original and flows right in since all I do is drop the weight belt and continue. I go more by time under load though.... and when I break 60s I raise the weight. So next time weighted chins will be 55lbs.

For warmup I go through the whole workout 2x as a circuit with no weight and just do the movements 5-10 reps.

Its really hard to say what percent of my max I am working at. I haven't maxed out in a very long time. This weight is definitely "heavy" for me though. Sure I could be doing more weight with no attention to cadence and using more momentum, but that tends to go against why I'm using this method. I go till temporary muscle failure then stay contracted for at least 10 seconds as a rule.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-06-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Instead of doing drop-set I prefer to do rest-pause with the same load. Lets say I am doing weighted dips; in the final top set I do one initial set of around 8 reps close to failure. Then I take 5 - 6 deep breaths and a miniset of 2-3 close to failure. Then another 5-6 deep breaths and 1-2 reps close to failure. Then I shorten the pause a little to 3 - 5 deep breath and continue with one rep, same pause until failure, usually after 3 - 4 repetition of one. then I climb up and do 2 -3 negatives, but without any rest between, to come close to eccentric failure as well. Training like that is pretty strong medicine, so make sure not to overdo it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Instead of doing drop-set I prefer to do rest-pause with the same load. Lets say I am doing weighted dips; in the final top set I do one initial set of around 8 reps close to failure. Then I take 5 - 6 deep breaths and a miniset of 2-3 close to failure. Then another 5-6 deep breaths varand 1-2 reps close to failure. Then I shorten the pause a little to 3 - 5 deep breath and continue with one rep, same pause until failure, usually after 3 - 4 repetition of one. then I climb up and do 2 -3 negatives, but without any rest between, to come close to eccentric failure as well. Training like that is pretty strong medicine, so make sure not to overdo it...
    Yup I like the various HIT techniques and switch them out when things get stale. Rest pause is great. That rest pause then hitting eccentric failure sounds pretty intense. I normally hit concentric failure then the static max contract for about ten seconds. I may give the eccentric work a shot next month when I switch things up.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup I like the various HIT techniques and switch them out when things get stale. Rest pause is great. That rest pause then hitting eccentric failure sounds pretty intense. I normally hit concentric failure then the static max contract for about ten seconds. I may give the eccentric work a shot next month when I switch things up.
    I usually train high volume, but I make sure to get a high intensity set in between, usually two or three times per month on a few of my key exercises. The good thing about weigthed dips is that you don't need a spotter to reach full failure. Some months ago I got chest pain after doing such a set, and x-ray discovered two fracturated ribs(!), but I am not sure if I got it from the dips or from the heavy dumbbell pullower that I did after it...

^ Ouch! I would guess the pullover.....I have felt that really contract and hit those intercostal muscles before.

fetext is offline Junior Member
    yeah, I may give the eccentric work a shot next month when I switch things up too

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Neck, I'm new to this way of working out. Was wondering do you keep your cadence consistent through each rep? Any advice when starting out? I'm focusing on body weight exercises and I use resistances bands, which is definitely not the best, but I'm making due with what I have. I'm also working on the mental aspects of pushing myself through to exhaustion. It's been quite the learning experience. I typically do 8-10 different exercises, full body, for a total TUL of 15-17 minutes. I'm exhausted by the end of the workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast