Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill sprints.....wow page 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I did some hill sprints for the first time on Sunday. It was a shorter hill, maybe 20 seconds to the top, but it wore me out after 5 all out efforts.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I almost never do sprints on flat ground. I'm pretty fast (from hill sprints maybe?) and am honestly afraid of face planting so I never run hard enough on flat ground. Uphill I don't have that worry because I can't naturally go as fast due to the incline.

I used to try to go for 10, but the workout would get way too long so now I jsut keep it to 5-7 or so and yeah I've felt pretty light headed after them, sometimes it gets a little scary.

I also don't get them in as often as I should, but I don't go a month without at least one session.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    One good idea would be twenty seconds of work, followed by ten seconds if rest, eight times. If you are doing it on a hill,it's death, also you could try doing it on a treadmill at a twelve percent incline. But as far as hill running is concerned, it's an excellent way to improve your running.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconoholic View Post
    One good idea would be twenty seconds of work, followed by ten seconds if rest, eight times. If you are doing it on a hill,it's death, also you could try doing it on a treadmill at a twelve percent incline. But as far as hill running is concerned, it's an excellent way to improve your running.
    I don't want to be a dick, but tabatas on uphill sprints are impossible. It's hard enough on a stationary bike (where Tabata meant for them to be performed) and I think that's where they belong. Do straight sprints and rest appropriately (anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes) then go hard again.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I am not entirely sure how people are sprinting for 20 seconds plus and then repeating.

Are people really sprinting (i.e. running from the grim reaper) or are they just running very fast?
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I have to fight not to barf after every sprint on hill sprint day. I'm going all out. Why wouldn't it be possible to repeat all-out sprints?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I am not entirely sure how people are sprinting for 20 seconds plus and then repeating.

Are people really sprinting (i.e. running from the grim reaper) or are they just running very fast?
    Precisely my point, an all out sprint longer than 10 seconds is very VERY challenging. I strongly doubt anybody here can do that after merely 10 seconds of rest and repeat it 8 times. I bet by your fourth "sprint" you're already jogging or probably walking.

Video or it didn't happen.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post

Yesterday I did 5 hill sprints of 30 seconds close to max, or above 90% of max, and with 3 - 4 minutes walking down between the sprints. Before that I warmed up by stair running, gradually rising intensity for 25 minutes. A solid warmup is very, very, important when doing this. When sprinting I foucus on the movements of the arms and that I have a lion coming after me, and yes I still get over 200 in HR at the age of 50! After the sprints I take around 20 minutes with easy jogging and walking to finish...

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree about the warm up (I'm 48), and about the arms and being-chased-by-lion. Did 4 sets on the flat, then sprint-crawled up and down the hill (up+down=1 rep) 3 sets. The hardest part was climbing down. Thanks for the inspiration y'all.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    One of the best WODs out there for conditioning and mental toughness. Just wrote an article about this subject. Here it is The Need for Mind Games | Mentaltoughnessguy.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast