Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hashimotos page

umm7 is offline Senior Member

Hashimotos

Anyone here dealing with it? If so, how did it effect them while living a primal lifestyle?

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Hashimotos and adrenal fatigue here.

I found a fantastic integrative doctor who did full saliva testing and I follow Wilson's adrenal fatigue program. On my way to feeling normal again.

Wheat cannot ever be part of your life if you have hashimotos. It is an immune disorder/disease and wheat is probably the reason you have hashimotos.

You can heal your body through nutrition. So find a doctor or naturopath who knows what they are taking about.

Hashimotos has not affected me differently living primally, but primal living has affected my hashimotos in a positive way.

I haven been living with Hashimotos since I was 21. I have found when I'm low carb I feel much better, and all normal things my body wasn't doing begin to reappear. I have thought that maybe gluten and Hashimotos were related after reading the about the structure of wheat. My endo thinks I have celiac disease or gluten intolerance. I'm unwilling to get a biopsy for proof, avoiding wheat is enough for me.

I was wondering if living gluten free/low carb/primal at some point may lead to getting off synthroid.

I also have Hashimoto's. Mine is managed well with levoxyl. (My doctor will adjust my dose based on how I feel and not just when my numbers are within normal limits.) I haven't found that eating primally has affected my Hashimoto's at all. What I have found is that if I'm trying to lose weight it's very important for me to listen to hunger and fullness signals.

I'm not sure someone with Hashimoto's can ever get off medication since the nature of the disease is the gradual destruction of the gland itself. That would be great, though, and I wouldn't be unhappy if it I found out that my thyroid had some how repaired itself!

I asked because I have been reading literature that says gluten and thyroid tissues are very similar. My thinking is if your body is trying to reject and fight off gluten maybe the wires get fuzzy over yrs of eating something inherently bad for you and then your system goes for the thyroid being that they are almost structurally the same? Probably way off and wishful thinking lol

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if I have Hashimoto or hypothyroid, I just went to the doc on Friday to go over my results of my TSH test and my TSH had shot up from 6.7 9 months ago to 18.? so she wanted me to start on levothyroxine asap. I have been eating primally for about 3 yrs and only on very rare exceptions have I eaten wheat so obviously primal hasn't improved my condition. Hashimoto may explain why certain things haven't improved while eating this way.
    After a lot of research this weekend it looks like the thing for me to do is to start an elimination diet. In January I started a somewhat lame attempt at GAPS but it appears that that was not enough, I need to go one step further. Today I am feeling very discouraged about the prospect of cutting out all dairy, nightshades, chocolate, eggs and wine. Food/cooking is my passion. My thoughtful son tried to cheer me up by saying "well at least it's not vegetarian", Hubby asked isn't there any chance that just taking the hormones will be enough? Not according to the sources I read today.

The meds are enough when I don't eat wheat.

bosm is offline Junior Member
    So can you keep Hashimoto's under control without medication if you're paleo? It seems like a lot of people on this website still take medication in addition to the diet.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bosm View Post
    So can you keep Hashimoto's under control without medication if you're paleo? It seems like a lot of people on this website still take medication in addition to the diet.
    I've done a fair amount of reading since my last post (it's confirmed I have Hashi's) and if you have Hashimoto's you do need to take medication. Diet and supplements can help the thyroid, so that you may be able to lower the dose of hormones. I highly recommend watching the videos on this site:
    Primary Cause of Hashimotos | HopeForHashimotos

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just saw this, sorry you have Hashi... It stinks taking a pill everyday. Thanks for the link :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast