Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ironman Training page

idropboys is offline Junior Member

Ironman Training

Shop Now
    I am new to the "Primal Diet" After just completing my 5th Ironman with great success and qualifying for the World Championships in Kona I am looking for a competitive edge. I (think) understand the basics of the diet and the goal train my body to burn fat, which there is a great supply, vs glycogen. Which in 10-11 hour race will give me more efficient fueling.

I am only a week into this and have give up all bread, pasta etc Processed foods were a minor part of my diet so that was not hard to give up.

I am recovering from my race so have been doing minimal training but my questions lie in how to fuel for longer training.

Tomorrow I swim for an hour followed by a 2 hour ride- this is still low HR but within weeks I will be logging 5-6 hour rides. I have previously fueled with a lot of carbs so I am curious how to approach tomorrow- I'll start there- ie: what to eat pre/during and post?

I am excited to take this journey but am not eager to compromise training and start bonking!

thanks

bro0kiebaby is offline Member
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
    That is why they call it THE PRESENT

bro0kiebaby is offline Member
    ....or if you prefer, a femal IronMan...(Pepper Pots aka Hera)

For MOTIVATION!!
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
    That is why they call it THE PRESENT

fishin-frog is offline Member
    idrop, you have probably already searched the main Daily Apple page for related posts, but if you enter "Endurance Training" a few links turn up. One was guest authored by a Primal Blueprint staff person and discusses the PB and endurance traiing. At the bottom of that post is a link to a post by a pro-triathlete; that is good reading as well. I don't have a lot of experience to share with you except that when you get your body to use fat as it's primary fuel, your entire training and race nutrition plan will change.

congrats on the KQ, I know how huge that is! I haven't raced in years for one reason or another, but looking towards a HIM in September. I'll be *virtually* riding along with you.

Paleo for Athletes is supposed to be a good read. I have it but haven't looked at it yet so I really can't say. You should start a journal so we can follow your training. Good luck with it all!
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

jessher is offline Junior Member
    I am going to make an assumption that you don't need to lose any weight. If I were your nutrition consultant, I would suggest you stick with a higher-carb Primal diet until after Kona and then use the off-season as a time to adapt to training on a low carb diet. So for now, Paleo Diet for Athletes is a good STARTING point as it is NOT low carb but instead a moderate carb diet where all carbs come from paleo sources (fruit and veg). Your focus now should be on learning to eat a moderate carb diet while completing eliminating gluten and all other grains.
    On a long ride, that would mean using lots of dried fruit or something convenient like Lara bars. Also, you can buy dried, powdered yams (Jay Robb) to put in your post workout recovery smoothie so you can lower the fruit content (smoothie contains fruit, coconut milk or water, protein powder, BCAAs, plus yam powder).

Things to ignore in Paleo Diet for Athletes:
    eat any kind of meat, not just lean meat
    Don't ever use canola oil
    Dairy is fine depending on your tolerance for it, especially butter and heavy cream

After Kona (congrats, btw!!), you can transition to a low carb training diet that switches you to fat-based fueling. That will mostly mean eliminating the fruit and using more protein and fat in training like almond butter or perhaps something like a coconut oil/nut/fruit/cocoa balls that you see recipes for on here sometimes. But if you do it now, it WILL compromise your training for up to a month. It's up to you, of course, depending on what your goals are. Moderate carb primal might be a good way to transition slowly and not try to do everything at once while still in the summer training months.
    Good luck!

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I bow to thee. Doing my first IM in September.

As for eating, I'll eat slightly more carbs on high volume training days, but always from real primal food. I've noticed that I have more energy, less joint issues, and faster recovery. So go for it, and good luck!!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I have completed 4 IM's at Lousiville, Canada and Coeur d'Alene. The last two I completed while eating gluten free most of the season. I have yet to "race" while totaly primal but have two HIM races planned for next season and will be traiing 100% primal for both of them. Yams will be your friend through October for sure as mentioned above. You want to keep your race and hard training fueling plan intact so don't go on water and electrolytes and reduce the carb drinks now. Wait until after Kona to tweak something that important. Look into supplimentation, particularly for omega 3's, vitamin C, Vitamin D and magnesium. You are creating a lot of free radicals in your training that will be detrimental if you don't have some support there. Watch out for the habitual reaching for recovery drinks, you should try more whole foods rather than muscle mike or other labratory created "nutrition". Have a super time at Kona, I never qualified but everyone I have known who has gone has come back with a vigor and pride that only Kona can offer, congrats on the effort it took to get there.

athletewhotris is offline Junior Member
    Hey,

I have been training for Ironman Canada and have 10 weeks to go until the big day. In your post you said ""I am going to make an assumption that you don't need to lose any weight,"and gave good advice on what he should do. What would you recommend if I wanted to lose weight (fat weight), and still be able to train my 12-15hours per week?

Thanks!

MLA
    MLA is offline Junior Member
    Jonas Colting is a very succesful swedish triatlete, I believe there is an interview with him on MDA as well. He's into primal, not low carb however (primal does not automatically mean low carb, as a number of members of MDA does point out)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast