Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OldCrow's magic journal of Sexy Times! page 3

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good work on your 2 goals today!! I can't even remember how many reps I did the other day when I did a bit. Will need to pay more attention.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I'd comment on the fruit thing.... I don't eat much, in fact not even every day but my 15 yr old son prefers fruit to veggies. He eats mostly meat and fruit during the day and then meat and veggies for dinner. He is building muscle; lifting weights. It works for him, he's lost 25 lbs. since February and gotten a lot stronger. Personally I kind of think of veggies and fruit being interchangeable unless you have a problem with blood sugar levels or if eating fruit triggers eating other sweet foods.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Fruits are meant to be eaten so that the plant seeds can be spread further away from the plant itself. You know, plants cannot really move very far on their own so they rely on you to eat their fruits. And how smart they are: they made these fruits quite tasty so you feel compelled to eat them! BUT ... all they "care" about is that you dump their seeds as far as possible. You can drop dead right afterward, they don't give a crap ...

This makes no sense. If fruit was just tasty poison, people and animals would not eat them. Fruit is nutritionally dense and insanely digestible, hence a perfect food.

Tubers are another sort, they're the energy reserve for the future plant. You will note that the baby plant has access to starches from its reserve of energy, while we animals store energy as fat. So plants prefer complex (or simple) sugars. Imagine if we stored energy as starches ... we would carry HUGE bags of them and would make our daily activities quite miserable ...

What? We do store starch as glucose in both muscle and in the liver. Without that reserve to fuel the brain, cells, muscles and regulate blood sugar at all times, we would die.

So why would sugar be the perfect fuel for us ? Not sure actually how one can conclude so. In my own experience, sugar has been very addictive. On the other hand, fat does not have the same appeal, and yet I enjoy eating it without the temptation to binge on it. There must be a reason and it may have to be that humans were accustomed to seasonal sugar binges only (when honey was ready, or fruits were ripe, etc).

So your saying because your body craves sugar, and does not crave fat, that fat must be the better source? That does not makes sense. Yes our body has a basic craving for things it needs to survive. Sweet is one of those.

Another thing: the animals we like to eat have done something amazing for us: they have stored and concentrated a lot of vitamins and nutrients in their tissues (fat, organs and meat) because of their special digestive system (ruminants in particular). So it is almost obvious to me that as omnivores, humans would really have a predilection for eating animals because they get a huge boost in all the good stuff. The bio-availability of this stuff is outstanding whereas nutrients from plants tend to be more difficult to absorb.

This one made me laugh. So fruit does not care if we live or die but thank goodness animals love us so much that they turn that plant matter into stored nutrients so we can kill em and eat em. Yes animal food is necessary for life but its not necessarily just because of fat soluble vitamins, Retinol and be made in body by carotenoids, k2 can be made from k1, vit d from the sun and vit e is just as abundant in plant matter and very little is needed on a low fat diet. I agree that most minerals and some vitamins can be had in bigger quantities from animals then plants but a lot of other vitamins and some minerals are much more abundant in plants. As for bio-availability, it comes down to cooking and fiber content.
    Responses in bold, above.

Not trying to start an argument in someone else journal. Feel free to come over to mine if you care to back and forth.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Zach,

You misread what I was saying, or understood through some "fat vs carb" rhetoric bias. That was not my point. And I NEVER wrote that fruits were tasty poison. Damn! I eat some too

Fruits are not poison (well, some are not exactly healthy to ingest and we have learned after thousands and thousands of years which ones to avoid), as I said, they are meant to be eaten! But they are not necessarily meant to make you healthy! That's a subtle but critical nuance.

About storage of carbs vs fat, I neglected glycogen on purpose. I mean come on: how much can you store at most, a pound of the stuff ? 2000 kcal ? ha! Whereas fat ... man, it is night and day between the 2.

About the cravings, I am not saying that my body craves sugar all the time. I am a living proof of this since I don't eat sugar and don't miss it a bit. But yes, I was addicted and craved sugar in former days. I am sure you are aware of the effect of sugar (reward effect, etc) so I was just suggesting that high concentration of sugars (as in sweetness, not as in starch) was only a seasonal thing for early humans, especially those living in norther latitudes. When it was available during a rather narrow time window, humans must have gorged on it. You might have seen this video on youtube showing a guy climbing an impossible tree bare handed to grab honey through a rather angry beehive and eating chunks of the stuff right on the spot (including bee larvae probably). How often or routinely do you think these guys had access to such sweetness ?

About the animals vs plants or fruits, neither care whether we live or die of course. But human is an opportunistic animal and have access to a much higher nutrient density in animals, I am not inventing it, it is a fact. Moreover, the high starch content of plant foods, while a nice item on the menu, is not critical for your staying alive and kicking. I am again not inventing it.

In all this, I am not saying that you should eat fruits or not, prefer animals or not. I am just nuancing your opinion by throwing mine on this matter. I do enjoy fruits when I have some, I do prefer eating animal foods as a staple, and I am not vilifying carbs at all. That was absolutely not my point. From what I read from you, you try to bring a carb friendly approach to primal in a rather low carb biased community, and that's fair enough, I am not opposing this at all. Hope you get my point though.
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-08-2013 at 02:00 AM.

OldCrow is offline Member
    Everyone's body works a little differently and I know that sugar and starch and grains make my joints stiff and my body bloat.. I'm feeling pretty damn good, a little lethargic which I was expecting..

If this feeling of lethargy continues for like a month while I've been super consistent within the parameters of your traditional low carb approach to primal, I will definitely make changes... I'm doing this purely for mental and physical health i.e. FEELING G'[OOD... i'll do whatever it takes to get there... other than moving to the tropics so i can afford to eat nothing but fresh fruit (i know that's not what anyone's suggesting)..

I was a vegan once for a couple years strictly for ethical reasons (which faded after my self inflicted physical condition worsened) and there may be a time when this occurs again... Either way I'll be able to make much more educated choices after learning so much about how food really effects my body and definitely won't be basing meals around bread/rice and pasta ever again.

I've noticed a pattern around here which seems to indicate that people post links, quote research or give anecdotal evidence as if it's FACT or LAW...just to get people to put more credit in their opinion. But really, why should anyone trust anyone but themselves and how THEY feel?..
    Anecdotal evidence is fucking great, it means something worked (or didn't work) for you but it absolutely doesn't mean it's going to do the same for everyone or anyone else. I guess the idea that everyone should just take responsibility for themselves is good in theory but very few people can handle having their own opinions without defending them. Anyways..........

Holy weird rant.. tune in for my thoughts on the social behavior of the platypus in my next installment..

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey Old Crow - given your rant I really think you will like the book I mentioned earlier - the author takes a stand very similar to the one in your rant - including a section on why not to trust the experts all the time. As for feeling lethargic - in my case that only lasted about a week and then one day I woke feeling like I could run up mountains and still have energy to burn, but like you said everyone is different and you know your body better than anyone else so trust in how you feel. Happy travels on your journey!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Hope you're doing well old crow.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    In your exercise program, don't short the low level aerobic stuff, like walking. Very important, but time consuming. If your kids are old enough, take 'em with you, they will enjoy talking with Dad and moving around with you. If not, push that stroller or use a carry-pack for an infant.

All of our bodies react differently, so I'd stick with Mark's basic diet, diddle with it once you've made some headway to make things best for you. It's a big adventure story and you are starting young enough to have a great ride.

Hey guys I got horribly sidetracked and it came in the form of a 'personal trainer'... I feel duped and got steered in a different direction, thinking I was going to meet my goals in the gym faster. What a mistake! I did get stronger, no doubt about it but I gained fat, felt super bloated all the time and my joints hurt.
    I ended up telling him I was no longer interested (pound sand) and am back with even more personal experience proving that whole unrefined foods are what makes me feel good... Anyways, that's a little embarrassing and I let myself down but I did it consciously and stopped consciously as well.

SO.. Walking to work today was awesome (Rig D, I read your reply thank you for the advice you are absolutely right.. more walks!), I saw some friends I hadn't seen in forever that live on my way to the shop who I never would have connected with otherwise.. I drank a whole bunch of water today and skipped breakfast as I still feel a little bloated from 'the hiccup' I'll call it.. By the way, creatine turns me into the stay puff marshmallow man.. I had nitrate free bacon and eggs with strawberries and blueberries for lunch. Dinner will be strictly meat and veg. with more focus on the veg side of things.

I know I still want to go to the gym and I was a little turned off the idea by my experience but I'll be back in on Tuesday to start my 4 days split again.

I've trained in martial arts (traditional styles for the first part of my life and then more recently boxing, muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu) and am thinking of rejoining my MT and BJJ classes after a year of being away... In that year I got fatter and more out of shape and I'm thinking of losing some weight first before returning.... I don't know I just feel like I need to hit shit hahahah... Thanks for reading guys and for the advice and encouragement, I'll be back on here later or tomorrow!

Also, I didn't intend to speak badly about the trainer I believe he was truly trying to help me out but couldn't wrap his head around my dietary intolerances and hardlined his method which I tried anyways to see if he was on to something.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast