Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OldCrow's magic journal of Sexy Times! page 2

OldCrow is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think Durianrider is entertaining and makes some great points, I wasn't dissing the guy I just know how tenacious he seems to be.. The question is how primal that way of eating is, the 80/10/10 is something I've never heard associated with paleo or primal before. On the contrary Paleo/Primal is usually number one on his shit list.. Let me know about your thoughts on the matter Zach I'm really curious!

I've heard Trampled before, check out The Devil Makes Three if you haven't already.. Intensely good!

I had a burger patty for lunch and a big salad!

Oh my damn, I got some pure meat sausages from the butcher with no additives and had them with roasted mushrooms, fiddleheads, garlic and olive oil.. ALONG SIDE GRILLED ASPARAGUS... Life's pretty ruling at the moment!!

Feeling good, a bit of dry mouth and low energy but drinking lots of water.. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 272.. holy shit. Yeah time to f-off with the unhealthy bowshizz.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow View Post
    I think Durianrider is entertaining and makes some great points, I wasn't dissing the guy I just know how tenacious he seems to be.. The question is how primal that way of eating is, the 80/10/10 is something I've never heard associated with paleo or primal before. On the contrary Paleo/Primal is usually number one on his shit list.. Let me know about your thoughts on the matter Zach I'm really curious!

I've heard Trampled before, check out The Devil Makes Three if you haven't already.. Intensely good!

I had a burger patty for lunch and a big salad!
    80/10/10 certainly isnt primal/paleo and probably not sustainable for 99.9% of the population. I would say the same for a ketogenic diet but people around here seem to think that it is very primal. Harley (Durian) obviously hates paleo/primal for many reasons, one of course is the emphasis on animal products. Here i think he is wrong in his stance because honestly we need at least a bit of animal products to thrive, at least some milk, eggs and or bivalves, all of which are ok on a vegetarian diet. His second gripe is that it is usually high fat/low carb orientated and he believes sugar is the correct source of fuel and fat is dangerous, causes disease and makes you fat. With this i tend to agree with him, not to the extreme of ruling out all fat from the diet but certainly with making it the main source of calories and fuel. I also agree with him that sugar, mainly from fruit is the very best source of fuel. Beyond that, i think a diet of mainly fruit, tubers, a little meat and shellfish is very paleo and add in some dairy and you got a perfect diet.

Thanks for that, they are very good!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hey OldCrow,

Just so you know, the best first step you can do is this:

DITCH WHEAT and every refined foods (so-called vegetable oils, refined sugar, etc).
    You will go through a withdrawal period that if you're lucky will last one day, if not a few weeks. This will mean: physical and mental fatigue, low stamina, low mood, etc. But once these toxins will have been gone for a few weeks, you will feel reborn!

you can still eat rice / sweet potatoes / quinoa and such if you like, but you can also do well on a low carb high fat diet for a while, just to force your body to enter fat burning. Once you reach a weight that is close to ideal (you won't get fully there on the LCHF diet but close to and in a very satisfying way, don't ignore that factor!), you can ramp up healthy carbs and lower your fat intake AT THE SAME TIME (low fat high starch for one or two days, low carb high fat for 5-6 days).

Physical workout will come naturally because of the tremendous energy you will feel.

But first thing first: ditch the wheat and refined crap, and do not forget to trash all "healthy whole grains" with the wheat because they don't bring any thing of value when your diet is very nutritious thanks to fish, meats, organs, eggs, etc. Wheat in particular is a major disruptor of good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    80/10/10 certainly isnt primal/paleo and probably not sustainable for 99.9% of the population. I would say the same for a ketogenic diet but people around here seem to think that it is very primal. Harley (Durian) obviously hates paleo/primal for many reasons, one of course is the emphasis on animal products. Here i think he is wrong in his stance because honestly we need at least a bit of animal products to thrive, at least some milk, eggs and or bivalves, all of which are ok on a vegetarian diet. His second gripe is that it is usually high fat/low carb orientated and he believes sugar is the correct source of fuel and fat is dangerous, causes disease and makes you fat. With this i tend to agree with him, not to the extreme of ruling out all fat from the diet but certainly with making it the main source of calories and fuel. I also agree with him that sugar, mainly from fruit is the very best source of fuel. Beyond that, i think a diet of mainly fruit, tubers, a little meat and shellfish is very paleo and add in some dairy and you got a perfect diet.

Thanks for that, they are very good!
    Yeah I was thinking about more tropical regions and how it would make sense for the paleolithic people who lived there to have a very fruit dominant diet..I've heard a few things about vitamin D exposure from the sun helping to regulate blood sugar from the tropical fruits and negate any ill effects but I'll have to check it out again.. Certainly for an elite endurance athlete this makes a hell of a lot of sense but not sure about people who walk around, lift weights and do a once a week sprint! I have a hell of a lot to learn though, I could be totally off!.. Thanks for the reply though, I was wondering for a while!

DKJAMES: Hey man, thanks for the advice, I've actually totally ditched wheat, rice, quinoa and potatoes as I've heard that if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose it's best to at least start with low carb.. That's awesome info, I'm trying to eat mostly Vegetables and meat, eggs, some fruit (berries mostly) and a few seeds.. Not a big nut fan but I do make an exception for macadamia nuts when I can afford them.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Hi OldCrow, I figured I'd return the favour and come and give you some moral support on your journey!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Those high sugar/low fat/low meat guys are on their own unique journey, I wouldn't follow them but they may be entertaining to watch.
    Just eat meat, veggies, fat, some fruit and nuts and a little dairy and you will be fine.

I too have lost weight and have improved my overall health, I'm stronger than I've ever been. This way of eating works and the food is tasty so it's not hard to stick to it. You can do it; we are glad to have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Hey OldCrow,

But first thing first: ditch the wheat and refined crap, and do not forget to trash all "healthy whole grains" with the wheat because they don't bring any thing of value when your diet is very nutritious thanks to fish, meats, organs, eggs, etc. Wheat in particular is a major disruptor of good health.
    What these guys said.

And, welcome

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach
    I also agree with him that sugar, mainly from fruit is the very best source of fuel. Beyond that, i think a diet of mainly fruit, tubers, a little meat and shellfish is very paleo and add in some dairy and you got a perfect diet
    I will throw in my opinion, not to say that I am right and Zach is wrong, it is just my take on that so that you can hear something slightly different. YMMV you know

Fruits are meant to be eaten so that the plant seeds can be spread further away from the plant itself. You know, plants cannot really move very far on their own so they rely on you to eat their fruits. And how smart they are: they made these fruits quite tasty so you feel compelled to eat them! BUT ... all they "care" about is that you dump their seeds as far as possible. You can drop dead right afterward, they don't give a crap ...

Tubers are another sort, they're the energy reserve for the future plant. You will note that the baby plant has access to starches from its reserve of energy, while we animals store energy as fat. So plants prefer complex (or simple) sugars. Imagine if we stored energy as starches ... we would carry HUGE bags of them and would make our daily activities quite miserable ...
    So why would sugar be the perfect fuel for us ? Not sure actually how one can conclude so. In my own experience, sugar has been very addictive. On the other hand, fat does not have the same appeal, and yet I enjoy eating it without the temptation to binge on it. There must be a reason and it may have to be that humans were accustomed to seasonal sugar binges only (when honey was ready, or fruits were ripe, etc).
    Another thing: the animals we like to eat have done something amazing for us: they have stored and concentrated a lot of vitamins and nutrients in their tissues (fat, organs and meat) because of their special digestive system (ruminants in particular). So it is almost obvious to me that as omnivores, humans would really have a predilection for eating animals because they get a huge boost in all the good stuff. The bio-availability of this stuff is outstanding whereas nutrients from plants tend to be more difficult to absorb.

That's just my opinion and only you must feel how well you fare on this or that diet. As Chris Kresser says, the first step is to eliminate toxins from your diet and daily activities (chronic stressors). Then you can experiment which side of the eating habit spectrum you feel best with.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey Old Crow welcome to the caves! Best of luck on your journey - I'll echo what others have already said - cut the wheat and the processed crap and you will start to see the pounds dropping off. Once you get over the infamous carb flu you will feel loads better too! If you find it hard to break away from the foods you are emotionally attached to you might want to check out Dean Dwyer's book Make Shi(f)t Happen - its not a bad read and has a few aha and head slapping moments along the way. It helped me get back on track when I slipped off the trail a while back.
    Cheers!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Primal Primate, I've never even heard of that book right on something else for me to nerd out on!..

Yesterday I started my third week of lifting heavy things and worked on my push muscles in my upper body.
    Flat machine bench press (no spotter) (240x5x5)
    Military Press (135x6x5)
    Incline dumbell press (50x5 - 40x5x3)
    and to finish and isolate my triceps
    Bench Dips (8x8x3)
    Skull crushers. (low weight, brutal finisher)

Today I worked my pull muscles and reached TWO goals this session.
    Deadlift (goal reached 225x6x5)
    Pulldowns (Too big to do chinups... too fat or too weak I'm not sure hahah - 155x6x5)
    Rows (goal reached 135x6x5)
    Shrugs (300x10x4)
    Curls (finisher 25x10x5)

I've eaten a family's share of meat today already, almost time for a humungous salad... Drinking a ton of water.

FOR THOSE WHO LIFT WEIGHTS - What do you think about training 3 days in a row?.. The only practical days to make it happen are Mon/Tues/Wednesdays as I have 3 kids and own a business.. Every hour is pretty much scheduled right now!

Feeling great today, amazing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast