Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-fat meals -- can someone explain this? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

All-fat meals -- can someone explain this?

Primal Fuel
    The other day, I was late to class, starving, and had no food in my dorm except a bar of unsweetened (baking) chocolate. In desperation, I grabbed two chunks and ran out the door. I ate them slowly throughout my first class, telling myself I could have some real food afterwards. But to my astonishment, I wasn't hungry afterwards (and I'm ALWAYS hungry). I didn't eat again for the next seven hours.

The next two days, I tried it again -- Thursday was the same two squares of baking chocolate, and Friday was one square plus twelve macadamia nuts. And again, I wasn't hungry for hours upon hours. No low blood sugar feeling, no thoughts about food... nothing.

Each time, I was eating between 30 and 40 grams of fat, less than 8g protein, and less than 8g carbs. For dinner, I loaded up on meat, veggies, and a potato or yam, in order to compensate, and although I felt stuffed, my calories still came out low (I'm not trying to lose weight, but for someone who is, this could be interesting). Can anybody explain what's going on? Why does an all-fat, low-carb, low-protein meal keep hunger away, but when I eat eggs+bacon+avocado I'm starving soon after?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly how some people explain the way they feel after a cup of bulletproof coffee.

To put it in more sciencey terms (eh, not really), carbs will satiate you better for short term durations than any macronutrient. But if you can't eat anything for long periods of time then you need a slower burning source of energy. Enter fat. It lasts longer, has more caloric (energy) density, provides the body with fuel to last a lot longer than fast-burning carbs that trigger insulin release. Fat triggers no (or barely any) initial insulin release when consumed, so you don't have the associated reactions either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    This is exactly how some people explain the way they feel after a cup of bulletproof coffee.

To put it in more sciencey terms (eh, not really), carbs will satiate you better for short term durations than any macronutrient. But if you can't eat anything for long periods of time then you need a slower burning source of energy. Enter fat. It lasts longer, has more caloric (energy) density, provides the body with fuel to last a lot longer than fast-burning carbs that trigger insulin release. Fat triggers no (or barely any) initial insulin release when consumed, so you don't have the associated reactions either.
    interesting! I was thinking "this is basically a bulletproof breakfast" as I was eating it haha. thanks, Drumroll.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    interesting! I was thinking "this is basically a bulletproof breakfast" as I was eating it haha. thanks, Drumroll.
    In some ways it was. Although bulletproof being just coffee and fat goes even lower on the carb and protein content and higher on the fat content. But that's almost insignificant since you felt exactly how others describe after the bulletproof coffee. You hit the mark.

Perhaps you have a new breakfast routine?

I've never been a fan of tossing in multiple tablespoons of coconut oil or butter to my tea or coffee. But the science is there, I get it, it works! And frankly, getting it from pure, unsweetened baker's chocolate seems like a much better option in terms of being more micronutrient dense at least.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 05-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Which brand of chocolate was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Which brand of chocolate was it?
    The first day was Baker's baking chocolate. The next day I bought Ghirardelli 100%

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Damn this sounds delicious!!!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    making a note for when mornings are so hectic I can't even make coffee for BPC.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    The first day was Baker's baking chocolate. The next day I bought Ghirardelli 100%
    I much prefer Baker's chocolate to Ghiradelli 100%, which has odd overtones.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Damn this sounds delicious!!!
    Just note that you have to REALLY enjoy the taste of chocolate with no sugar for this to not rate awful, haha. I ended up sprinkling a tiny bit of stevia on mine to make it a touch less bitter. My favorite thing was what I did today: two tablespoons of macadamia butter (which is basically pure monounsaturated fat) melted with one block of baking chocolate and a little stevia. Tastes amazing and, again, I didn't think about food again until long past my normal dinner time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast