Page 97 of 113 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 97

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Think you got your priorities mixed up a little but to each their own! Fleshlights work well but cleanup sucks.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Sounds awesome! Dont know why youd care to count cals since your not even a little chubs. As long as you know what your base is that you have to eat then your set. Thats what i do as well.
    That was sort of off hand - I expect to want more after I eat through my base on some days. I think I will calculate one that is around 1800 kcals since that seems to be my mean intake on most days, paying attention to getting adequate protein (100g?) and knowing it's okay if I want a little less a few days every once in a while. Carbs and fat will not need attention.

N, I don't know what you're talking about. I will encourage (and expect) my SO to take care of himself as much as he deems necessary.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Think you got your priorities mixed up a little but to each their own! Fleshlights work well but cleanup sucks.
    How so? With sexual desires or the need for a long-term relationship? (I know there's no perfect world here!) It's all silicone, can't be that messy can it?

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    That was sort of off hand - I expect to want more after I eat through my base on some days. I think I will calculate one that is around 1800 kcals since that seems to be my mean intake on most days, paying attention to getting adequate protein (100g?) and knowing it's okay if I want a little less a few days every once in a while. Carbs and fat will not need attention.

N, I don't know what you're talking about. I will encourage (and expect) my SO to take care of himself as much as he deems necessary.
    It's nice to have a woman's perspective, thanks! I don't know, just the idea of a 'replica' instead of the real thing, like it's not good enough or something but I guess there are plenty of female toys too!!! Lol.

I remember you mentioning that you don't consume dairy, correct? Where do you mostly get protein from? It's something I need to work on a bit because I get well under 100g a day on average.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I see. It's confusing that some images/videos show both T3 and T4 being release by the thyroid if that's not the case.
    The thyroid does produce both T4( about 80% of the total hormones produced) and T3 (about 20%). The majority of T3 is the result of T4 dropping one iodide molecule and thus converting to T3. Conversion happens in several places in the body, but primarily in the liver.

As someone who spent years fighting for adequate treatment I suggest the following to help you get a doctor to listen, work with you and take action.
    1. Educate yourself
    2. Go into your appointment prepared
    a. bring a list of the top 5 symptoms you are experiencing, with the most troubling first.
    b. write out questions you have that you'd like answered. Leave space between questions for the answers.
    c. list the names of tests you would like run, having good educated reasons why
    d. make two copies of things listed under a-c. Give one to the doctor and use one to write the doctor's responses on. You can also ask the doctor to write his responses on his copy and then give you a copy of his completed form
    3. If the doctor refuses to run tests or dismisses your issues be prepared to ask, So what can be done to help me find a resolution to my symptoms? They are negatively impacting my daily life and should not be happening at my age.

I looked into preparing a physical list for the visit, but it just seemed a little confrontational for some reason. I mean, it makes sense to do this and I've already made notes on my computer to memorise so that I have an idea of what to ask and the reasons why.

I'll take a list for myself but I don't expect the Doc to sit there and write things down for me. Last time I went in, we spent around 5 minutes talking about my life, how university is going etc. and I respect him for that, but to cut straight to the point, should I just go in and say there's a lot going on with me and I would like to get on with it right away, referring to the list I've made.

If he refuses to run tests ( dismissing my concerns and preparation), and I ask what can be done, won't he be more inclined to give me a quick fix to sign me off as " treated"? (I think taking pen+paper will express how much I want the tests though and I doubt he will tell me to leave without some help)

How did you overcome hypothyroidism, medical intervention of holistic lifestyle changes?
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-17-2013 at 02:36 PM.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    It's nice to have a woman's perspective, thanks! I don't know, just the idea of a 'replica' instead of the real thing, like it's not good enough or something but I guess there are plenty of female toys too!!! Lol.

I remember you mentioning that you don't consume dairy, correct? Where do you mostly get protein from? It's something I need to work on a bit because I get well under 100g a day on average.
    A partner shouldn't expect his/her SO to be interested in sex every time s/he is.

I do eat dairy, but not very much: 4oz (~115g) of cheese per day or a bit more. But even that is not very much protein. I have been getting most of my protein from eggs, fish, meat, and a little from gelatin. I usually hit the 130-150 mark with protein without attention to it. You shouldn't have an issue consuming some eggs, fish, and a burger patty or two every day (or something like that)
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I looked into preparing a physical list for the visit, but it just seemed a little confrontational for some reason. I mean, it makes sense to do this and I've already made notes on my computer to memorise so that I have an idea of what to ask and the reasons why.

I'll take a list for myself but I don't expect the Doc to sit there and write things down for me. Last time I went in, we spent around 5 minutes talking about my life, how university is going etc. and I respect him for that, but to cut straight to the point, should I just go in and say there's a lot going on with me and I would like to get on with it right away, referring to the list I've made.

If he refuses to run tests ( dismissing my concerns and preparation), and I ask what can be done, won't he be more inclined to give me a quick fix to sign me off as " treated"? (I think taking pen+paper will express how much I want the tests though and I doubt he will tell me to leave without some help)

How did you overcome hypothyroidism, medical intervention of holistic lifestyle changes?
    I have not overcome hypothyroidism. I am, however, optimally treated at this time. The doctor that diagnosed me told me, "You're f**ked, you're genetics are f***ked. You'll be a fat diabetic woman by 60." Her comments made it clear that I needed to educate myself about thyroid disease and that I needed a new doctor.

I have learned a great deal. I have also fired my share of doctors, Staying with a doctor only if they were definitely willing to work with me.

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    DriedMango wanted me to post more about my lifting adventures so i thought id post my current schedule on here for funsies.

Right now im focusing on four main barbell movements, the snatch, deadlift, front squat and overhead press. All these are carryover movements to my main focus, the clean and jerk. Right now i connot do a full clean so instead of wasting time trying to fix it, im going to ditch it for awhile and work on the other aspects that will make me stronger and carry over to the last. The deadlift will help with the first pull and strengthen the posterior chain, front squat will help getting out of the hole and with the flexibility in the catch position and the overheard work will obviously help the jerk. The snatch i am good at so i will continue to bring that up and it will carry over with the explosiveness of the movement.

Currently working out five days a week. 4 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off.

The four days are strict strength, the 1 day is a fun day working on odd lifts, strongman/highland stuff, etc.

Strength days are structured as follows.

Join mobility warmup
    Area specific warmup - if im doing snatch ill do some kettlebell work. Overhead, will do some handstand stuff, etc.
    Power work - explosive exercises first, most of the time its just the barbell lift done fast.
    Strength - main portion of the session, lots of reps at heavy weight.
    Accessory/practice - either working a light exercise for the antagonist muscles or bodyweight/gymnastic work

A typical day would look like this.

Joint warmups, foam roll, dowel work.
    Kettlebell swings/snatches/press complex
    Barbell snatch balance, work speed down to full snatch + behind the neck jerk. Speed.
    Barbell full snatch up to that days 1rm then hit doubles in the hang snatch for 10 sets or so.
    Handstand presses, walk practice.

The days rotate like this
    Heavy snatch/light overhead
    Heavy overhead/light squat
    Heavy deadlift/light snatch
    Heavy squat/light overhead

Fun day is just whatever everybody wants to practice. Usually it turns into a contest. Im partial to barbell turkish getups, one arm barbell lifts (snatch, clean+jerk,two hand anywho) and carrys.

I realize probably noone will care about this or even understand what im saying but its interesting to me and i like to read my own posts cause im cool like that. :P
    Awh man I wanna work out with you! That stuff sounds like so much fun. Dammit, gonna get my barbell situation fixed asap >
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I have not overcome hypothyroidism. I am, however, optimally treated at this time. The doctor that diagnosed me told me, "You're f**ked, you're genetics are f***ked. You'll be a fat diabetic woman by 60." Her comments made it clear that I needed to educate myself about thyroid disease and that I needed a new doctor.

I have learned a great deal. I have also fired my share of doctors, Staying with a doctor only if they were definitely willing to work with me.
    I should know better than to answer questions that I'm not totally sure about.

I've fired a couple of doctors within the last 2 years myself... not sure if it's that easy in the UK though.

marcadav, Do you deal with autoimmune thyroid disease such as hashis? As soon as my thyroid numbers are in the right place I'm going to start low dose naltrexone. Have you heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    I should know better than to answer questions that I'm not totally sure about.

I've fired a couple of doctors within the last 2 years myself... not sure if it's that easy in the UK though.

marcadav, Do you deal with autoimmune thyroid disease such as hashis? As soon as my thyroid numbers are in the right place I'm going to start low dose naltrexone. Have you heard of it?
    There's no such thing as firing a Doctor in the UK (with the NHS). If they made a huge mistake, like prescribing something which resulted in death, then you could sue them. It's also very hard to change Doctor's here, unless here was something wrong with the way they prescribed you drugs - there has to be a very, very good reason to want to change. With so many cuts, I doubt that Doctors are taking on new patients anyway. You're given a Doctor at birth whom you stay with until they leave or you move etc. Also, if you want private health care in the UK, even if it's just a consultation, you first have to get a referral from the GP.

Page 97 of 113 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast