Page 94 of 113 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 94

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dirlot, i was never very overweight. My goals were fixing hypothyroidism, digestive issues and eliminating severe inflammation.

Nstocks, thats awesome dude! The garden and woods looks great, glad you got a nice place to hang outside. Inability to grow facial hair is another sign of hypo and yea it could be about low test as well. Make sure to get at least 100g protein a day.
    Should I just wait and see if things improve themselves before trying some supplement to get thyroid going? I'd never take testosterone unless I had tests done because it can have some negative effects.

My Brother came home from work early today because he keeps going dizzy. (out of curiosity we took his temp. which was 36.6C, mine was 35.7C) He's made an emergency appointment with the Doc for later today. Hopefully he'll get bloods done and the Doc won't tell him to take paracetemol for his "headache". It's still in the back of my mind to go, but not for at least trying to heal myself for another month. It turns out that our region has the worst healthcare with over 13,000 people dying a because of neglect or under staffed hospitals/uncaring nurses.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-16-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    D, yea at least one a day, usually 2-3. I just cant get into the whole coffee scene. Once in awhile ill drink it but my energy is actually better without it and you know i add lots of sugar and milk.

N, yea dude just keep doing what your doing. It seriously takes awhile to make big changes. I just started feeling how i should feel a couple months ago. Fuck the docs, they wont give you any good hormones or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    D, yea at least one a day, usually 2-3. I just cant get into the whole coffee scene. Once in awhile ill drink it but my energy is actually better without it and you know i add lots of sugar and milk.

N, yea dude just keep doing what your doing. It seriously takes awhile to make big changes. I just started feeling how i should feel a couple months ago. Fuck the docs, they wont give you any good hormones or anything.
    My Brother just came back from Docs. They have no idea what's wrong, so they gave him more beta-blockers. (he's already taking some for anxiety when meeting people etc.). He managed to get arrange a blood test, not sure what they are testing but at least they are looking inside this time, rather than just masking the problem.

I realise how useless the Docs are but part of me just feels like I need to know what's wrong and for a test to prove it. (Even though I too believe I'm hypothyroid and this may not evens how up on tests). I think it's a patience thing too, like having it in black and white will speed up recovery, when it really wont.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-16-2013 at 09:42 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    This is the brother who went to the doc for dizziness? And they prescribed him more beta-blockers? Is it possible that the dizziness is caused by the beta-blockers he's already taking? Dizziness is one of the side effects of beta-blockers. Beta blockers - MayoClinic.com

He doesn't take the beta blockers very often, not even once a month. It's only when he has a presentation or something and he goes "red" from anxiety or nervousness.

I didn't know beta-blockers are also used for hypothyroidism.

Out of curiosity, we are both looking at private healthcare (BUPA). For a 15 minute consultation, it cost 70. Tests are obviously extra but not sure how much. Monthly, it's 39.00. How does that compare to the healthcare costs in the US?

I really want to recover with just food, but the short term symptoms are hard to deal with. I'll have some money in a few months when I sell my car, but that doesn't mean the private healthcare is going to help me. Plus, I could be a lot better in a few months. I'm worried that I can't even grow a beard! Especially since the other males in my family can.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-16-2013 at 12:24 PM.

70 pounds for a consultation sounds slightly cheaper than here. Here, most office visits cost at least $150 if you don't have insurance, and 70 pounds is only $105. I'm not sure what you mean by monthly--is that a monthly premium that you pay for private health insurance? Healthcare is ridiculously expensive in the U.S. It's all a scam.

Also, beta-blockers are used for hyperthyroidism, not hypo.

I think you should try the crappy NHS docs first. Basically, what you need to do is convince them to give you blood tests. Do what YB suggested a couple days ago--make up some things to convince them to get you the tests. Make up extra symptoms, or tell them that your friend's dad or your grandpa is a doctor (or retired doctor) and that they think you have hypo or low testosterone. Get tested for hypothyroidism and also get your testosterone levels tested.

The tests are all the same, even if the doc sucks. Just get the tests and get them for free. It can't hurt to get tested. Once you have the test results, then you can think about how to get treated. Maybe all you need to do is supplement on your own and adjust your diet. Maybe you'll need to see a private doctor. But I think you should get the tests first.

Yes the 39 is for the 'basic' private healthcare per month, not sure exactly what that is.

I think I will book the tests in a couple of weeks. I'll re-read the most common hypo symptoms and throw in a few other things to make sure he listens to me. Hopefully, no matter what the tests show, I can get a printed copy so that I can share them with people on here whom have more knowledge with the matter. (Last time I had tests for anaemia, the NHS didn't even ring me up with the results because there were 'normal'. Not sure if having a printed copy of results is normal on the NHS) I've got some good evidence that he can't really deny me of like the dark circles and weight gain. My weight has been recorded for about 6 years since I went for my injections prior to going on holiday. (My Mum thought I was anorexic and I was actually 10 stone - no way near!) With the weight gain (around 20lbs this year) how should I communicate the sudden increase? I've not been to the Docs for over 2 years and I've gained the weight in the past 2 months or so. Would the short period of time suggest more aggressive issues, compared to if I say "I've been eating more and gained the weight since January"? I don't want to say I've cut out a load of meat and veg and now I've gained weight. I don't really want to mention food at all! (or should I ?)

Also, would it be better to refrain saying something like" I've come in today because I have.... I've tried fix the issues over the past years with eating more whole foods, cutting out grains"... Would it be better to make out these symptoms are quite recent, rather than saying I've had some for years. (though he already knows about cold feet and dark circles?)

Thanks for your help, I really need to prepare what I'm going to say as we only get 10 minutes or so and he'll want to hurry me along. (I can go on forever with dieting etc.)
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.

I think it's best not to tell the doctor about your diet and all the things you've tried. My sense is that saying too much will just make the doc think that you're obsessed and that you're maybe a hypochondriac. And then he will dismiss you. Just tell him that you haven't really changed your diet recently, that you try to eat healthy whole foods, a lot of fruit, etc, but that you gained 20 pounds in the past 2-3 months and you don't know why. You haven't been eating more, and you have been eating healthy. The weight gain is unexpected, and you are concerned because you gained so much so quickly.

Also say that you are tired all the time even though you get enough sleep. Mention the cold feet and the dark circles but don't go into detail about how you've tried all these things to raise your temp. Just mention that you are often cold. This is probably enough. If you have every single hypo symptom, that could also get suspicious.

Also try to add in some low testosterone symptoms so you can get that tested too. Mention that you can't grow a beard, have low sex drive.

I'm not sure if you should say that you're slightly depressed because I'm afraid that as soon as you mention depression, he'll attribute all of your other symptoms to depression and just prescribe you an SSRI.

Maybe YogaBare can chime in too since she's had personal experience with the NHS.

That's sounds like a good idea. When I went in for mild acne, I told him how I've educated myself in the skin, chemicals, diet etc. and he couldn't care less and said that diet has nothing to do with acne... This is when I realised I'm wasting my time.

Although I have a lot of symptoms, I too think it would be better if I don't explain too much why I think I have them or that I even know anything about hypothyroidism. Most of my issues are metabolism, so the result of under active thyroid (weight gain, bloated, constipated, cold feet) and other are definitely linked to low testosterone (low sex drive, tired all the time). I;ll try to drop in something about a friends Dad whom is a Doctor and suggested it may be Hypothyroidism.

I won't mention depression because I don't really think I am depressed on the level which needs meds. I'll just say I'm tired and have little energy to get on with anything.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-17-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Just make up shit to get their attention or at least exaggerate. Just say you eat well and nothings changed but you keep gaining weight, you have erectile dysfunction, sleep is shit, fatigued, etc. never say your depressed, say your optimistic and really want to get your life back. Docs will throw antidepressents at you without a second thought, thats what an endo did to me. Say you know you have low T and someones doctor dad thinks it might be hypo. Dont let the doc think for themselves, basically make them run the tests. Get a full thyroid panal if they will allow it and also free test not just total. There are other things to test as well but i doubt i he do much more then that.

Page 94 of 113 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast