Page 90 of 113 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 90

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Zach,

I just picked up some ashwagandha today, along with holy basil leaf and oil of oregano (plus valerian for anxiety/sleep). How much of the ashwagandha is recommended daily? Should I hold off on the other supplements so I can see what the ashwagandha does first? You mention that one a lot and it was on sale.

sauerKraut is offline Member
    Ice cream is very warming for me. Also for some reason that I don't quite understand yet, it's extremely calming!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    My next adventure is going to be lowering fat intake and limiting my food selections. I'm making that menu right now; My favorite pastime.
    @ J3nn - that sounds like a good option! Let me know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I take epson + bicarb salt baths twice a week but I don't soak my feet in a bowl. Maybe I should try that!

I eat chocolate but I don't really think it has much impact. Perhaps I should eat more . Lindt have a new one - caramel and sea salt. Pretty darn good even if it is 50% cocoa solids (is it the magnesium that helps?)

Hmmm, I'll think about it. My Brother is going back to the Doc's this week because he keeps going dizzy and feels sick. He's been three time this year and the Doc didn't do anything, but apparently he might ask for a blood sample this time around. I get a bit worked up going to the Doc's because I think he thinks I imagine these things or something... If I don't get warmer within a month then I'll make myself go.
    Yeah, the salt foot soaks may not help long term, but they will definitely give you temporary relief, and who knows what else?

When I say "a ton of chocolate" - I mean it!! Don't do it if you don't want to, but it would be interesting to experiment with what a 4000K junk food binge would do to your body temp. I bet your feet would warm up.

Also, this may sound obvious, but what physical activity do you do? Do you ever run? I started running every day, and seriously - my feet are piping hot now, all the time!

Just get the check up. If you're sick you'll prevent yourself from getting sicker. If you're not at a diagnosable stage, at least you'll have more information to work with. Are you worried that if your results come back clear, you'll feel guilty, and wonder if it's all in your head? Remember it can take decades to diagnose some things, and conditions can start at any age.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-08-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    I picked up a pint of the Three Twins salted caramel ice cream from Whole Foods--sooooooooooooo goooooooood!!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Hmm if you got it in the Northeastern US, maybe that means I can too
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Hi Zach,

I just picked up some ashwagandha today, along with holy basil leaf and oil of oregano (plus valerian for anxiety/sleep). How much of the ashwagandha is recommended daily? Should I hold off on the other supplements so I can see what the ashwagandha does first? You mention that one a lot and it was on sale.
    Is it liquid or powder? You dont have to wait on the others, Holy Basil is a good one to stack with it. Dont know anything about oil of oregano, whats it supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I picked up a pint of the Three Twins salted caramel ice cream from Whole Foods--sooooooooooooo goooooooood!!!
    It really is, the chocolate malt is the best chocolate i have had. I have done 4 pints in 3 days so far, haha.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Is it liquid or powder? You dont have to wait on the others, Holy Basil is a good one to stack with it. Dont know anything about oil of oregano, whats it supposed to do?
    All of them are liquids. I just put a half dropper full, which is about 30 drops (that's what the bottle says). That's probably not helpful information. There is a 333mg/ml equivalency, per the bottle. I'll add the holy basil in next time. There is a descriptor of oil of oregano here: Oil of Oregano: A Powerhouse for the Alternative Medicine Cabinet

It has anti microbial properties and all sorts of other things, according to some sources. I had seen it mentioned on this site before so picked some up on a whim.
    Last edited by Zanna; 07-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hmm if you got it in the Northeastern US, maybe that means I can too
    Yeah, you can probably find it at Whole Foods.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    @ J3nn - that sounds like a good option! Let me know how it goes

Yeah, the salt foot soaks may not help long term, but they will definitely give you temporary relief, and who knows what else?

When I say "a ton of chocolate" - I mean it!! Don't do it if you don't want to, but it would be interesting to experiment with what a 4000K junk food binge would do to your body temp. I bet your feet would warm up.

Also, this may sound obvious, but what physical activity do you do? Do you ever run? I started running every day, and seriously - my feet are piping hot now, all the time!

Just get the check up. If you're sick you'll prevent yourself from getting sicker. If you're not at a diagnosable stage, at least you'll have more information to work with. Are you worried that if your results come back clear, you'll feel guilty, and wonder if it's all in your head? Remember it can take decades to diagnose some things, and conditions can start at any age.
    A day of chocolate! That would almost be doable if I have milk and OJ in there too. And if the chocolate was in different flavours, and at a good price. (the Lindt "creations" is 1.85 per 100g bar. Non-flavoured is about 1.20)

I don't do that much activity. I do mountain climbing in a static position like on here from 2:05 - Beginner Calisthenics Workout (Full Body) - YouTube Recently however, my Brother and I have been playing badminton in the garden. We plan on going to the sports hall for 1-2 hours a week which I'm excited about

With the Doctor, I asked my Brother if he felt like he was wasting the Doc's time or if he felt that his symptoms come across as made up/false to the Doc. It turns out that he feels the same way which is why if he gets ill, he normally waits a while before going to get tests etc. I'm going to see how it goes for him and decide what to do.

I think now that I've freed myself of extreme dieting, I already feel some relief. This is mentally though, not physically so the tests would of course show any problems in that regard. Do you think it's a good idea to go to the Doc's with an educated state of mind about thyroid/metabolism/cold feet to prove that this stuff really bothers me? When I went in for mild acne many years ago, I told him that I eat well, don't use chemical washes etc. don't smoke, drink or do drugs. After all that he basically said "well there is no cure" and handed me a prescription for Benzoyl peroxide.

You've had tests carried out for metabolism/thyroid with the NHS haven't you? When you went in, did you request a blood test or just hope that the Doc would give you that anyway once you explained your problems?

It probably looks like I'm over thinking this but trust me, our Doctor is S***. I mentioned a few days ago how my Father's toe was causing severe pain. It turns out that what the Doc told him was complete BS and that apparently Doctor's (in this case) know nothing about feet. My Father is now having his toe nail removed! This is after YEARS of re-vists to complain about the pain.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    A day of chocolate! That would almost be doable if I have milk and OJ in there too. And if the chocolate was in different flavours, and at a good price. (the Lindt "creations" is 1.85 per 100g bar. Non-flavoured is about 1.20)

I don't do that much activity. I do mountain climbing in a static position like on here from 2:05 - Beginner Calisthenics Workout (Full Body) - YouTube Recently however, my Brother and I have been playing badminton in the garden. We plan on going to the sports hall for 1-2 hours a week which I'm excited about

With the Doctor, I asked my Brother if he felt like he was wasting the Doc's time or if he felt that his symptoms come across as made up/false to the Doc. It turns out that he feels the same way which is why if he gets ill, he normally waits a while before going to get tests etc. I'm going to see how it goes for him and decide what to do.

I think now that I've freed myself of extreme dieting, I already feel some relief. This is mentally though, not physically so the tests would of course show any problems in that regard. Do you think it's a good idea to go to the Doc's with an educated state of mind about thyroid/metabolism/cold feet to prove that this stuff really bothers me? When I went in for mild acne many years ago, I told him that I eat well, don't use chemical washes etc. don't smoke, drink or do drugs. After all that he basically said "well there is no cure" and handed me a prescription for Benzoyl peroxide.

You've had tests carried out for metabolism/thyroid with the NHS haven't you? When you went in, did you request a blood test or just hope that the Doc would give you that anyway once you explained your problems?

It probably looks like I'm over thinking this but trust me, our Doctor is S***.
    Firstly, I really think if your cold feet bother you so much, you should start getting physically active again. Go for long walks, or do some sprinting / interval running. Just try it for a few days and see how your feet feel. I've had cold feet forever, and for the last week they've been the hottest part of my body! They're burning up right now, and everything else is normal.

It doesn't sound like you're over thinking the NHS - there's a reason they're shit. Our health care is free :roll eyes: They're trying to save the government money.

I got basic tests done on the NHS (thyroid, cholesterol, ferritin) because I went in complaining of symptoms, and I threw in a lie that my grand dad is a doctor and he thought it sounded like hypothyroidism. I also said I wanted to get cholesterol checked cos it ran in my family, and ferritin cos I used to be anaemic. But for more specific hormone tests I had to go to Poland it's considerably cheaper there). They wouldn't give me those tests on the NHS.

If you want to get something tested, go in with a list of the symptoms and say you spoke to a friend's dad who's a GP, and they thought it sounded like hypothyroidism / whatever you want to test. As I said, I'd recommend getting thyroid and testosterone. So go in saying you feel exhausted, have no sex drive, are sleeping 10 hours a night, gaining weight (don't mention the calories ) and feel depressed. And whatever other symptoms you need to list. He can't really turn you away if you say all those things.

And don't worry about doctors making you feel like you're not sick. I'm not suggesting that we all become hypochondriacs, but the reality is that Western medicine is not preventative: it will only treat you once you're sick. And you're only sick once your numbers pass beyond a certain point, and then it's too late. But until they get to that point, you can still have symptoms and feel like shit. It's important to take responsibility for your own health.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 90 of 113 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast