Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 89

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I was sure you're a teenage girl, ya'know?
    Me too, then I woke up this morning and to my dismay, there was a dick staring me in the face from between my legs.
    nihil

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Me too, then I woke up this morning and to my dismay, there was a dick staring me in the face from between my legs.
    Hahahahaha!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If you're not in the club, I'm LEAVING! Seriously though, I'd wager you know a lot more about Peat than I do.
    Well, I'm not level 99 like Derp but I have read his articles and listened to many of his interviews, and of course stalked forums dedicated to his unconventional dietary philosophy. The milk/OJ suggestion is consistent but I don't interpret the amounts as a hard rule. I see variation between followers just like with Paleo/Primal. Ray Peat has made it a point several times to say he doesn't have a particular diet or protocol. Really his followers have established the guidelines based on his personal diet and his advice. From what I understand, he formed his milk and OJ recommendations on getting optimal nutrition that most people, especially the poor, can afford. Milk and OJ can be economical, whereas telling putting organic kale, grass fed steak and fresh oysters at the forefront of nutrition is what Paleo is for. I think his recommendations are centered around efficiency and simplicity rather than overwhelming recipes and expensive shopping lists with specialty items.

I think his recommendations are based in science but they're not set in stone and can be customized. Whole fruit over juice, starches as you tolerate them, meat or no meat, dairy or no dairy, etc. I follow Danny Roddy on Facebook and his Facebook page is loaded with his meat hauls: https://www.facebook.com/dannyroddy/photos

I think finding your rhythm is all that matters. I appreciate Ray Peat's recommendations because I actually like all of the foods and find it to be enjoyable so long as I can customize it. I think the day a "diet" becomes dogmatic is the day to walk away from it and I have never gotten the impression that Ray Peat is dogmatic in his recommendations. I think he doesn't put nearly as much thought into his food as his followers do, lol.

I'm not down for the liquid diet either. I do think minimising starch and reducing meat intake is a little bit magical though. Even when I started eating meat again it just never made sense to me that we would need so much of it. It makes much more sense to me now to have a few veggie days a week.
    Yeah, I think that's one way to go about it. The other issue I have is that I'm a 5'2" overweight female with multiple food sensitivity issues, anemia, edema, and a long list of other problems. I think the liquid calories part of the recommendations should really be relative to your overall calories and needs. Obviously Zach and Derp have a much larger range to drink their calories in and even if 80% of their calories came from liquid, they'd still get a good amount of solid food in too relative to my tinier range. Sort of like Michael Phelps consuming 12,000kcal/day and only 10% is protein, BUT that's still about 400g protein! I definitely do not want to drink 50-75% of my calories for extended periods of time. Too boring for me! But if I could tolerate it and had the wiggle room, sure I'd drink a few quarts of OJ and milk every day. I don't have that kind of caloric budget or tolerance though. So if I drink OJ, it's 1 or 2 cups, and even that is too much for my digestion apparently. It's not just OJ, I can't even drink too much water at once. It really sucks.

What do you think of the Chinese medicine suggestion for Oestrogen dominance: fruit, dairy, eggs?
    Sounds like healthy choices to me! Try it, and if it works, yay! If not, no harm done. Not sure if it would be good for me knowing how badly I react to eggs and probably dairy. Certain fruits, too. I love dates and watermelon but they definitely make things worse. I need to eliminate things down to a narrow range and add things in slowly to get a better grasp on it. Too many variables right now. Wouldn't it just be lovely to be able to give up gluten and all problems solved? I have so many overlapping problems, it's insane. My next adventure is going to be lowering fat intake and limiting my food selections. I'm making that menu right now; My favorite pastime.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Another great post that I find very helpful right now.

What Do You Do When You Can’t Gain Weight? | Butter Believer

The grocery shopping part is exactly what I felt like when going shopping for myself, thinking to myself: "How can anyone survive eating this, what is supposedly, food?" Perfect timing since I'm going shopping tomorrow - like a normal person. (I work at the store, I know what 'normal' looks like )

I'm also freeing myself of meticulously recording every morsel I put into my mouth and lifestyle things like sleep, sunlight, exercise, weight etc. which I've been recording for months. (Though I still journal. Anyone with a Mac, "Dayone" app is AMAZING. Best app I've ever bought)
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Is there ANY supplement that I should bother considering in order to help warm up my feet. (well entire body)? I know iodine is for thyroid and theres some controversy there but I'm not talking about iodine in particular. I don't want to start the whole supplementation process again but this coldness is unbearable. I've removed my heater from my bedroom where I use to use it every single minute of every day for over 4 years! It's depressing that I have to use a heater just to keep my toes warm and using it just makes me feel even more cold because I know I rely on it.

I'm just here, eating my food, still in a different state of mind than when I entered "diet recovery", with freezing feet. But if popping a pill will help things along, I'd be much happier.

Oh I bought honey loops today! AND 3Litres of ice cream since it's on offer. It hasn't warmed me up but it has helped my food fears to be free of my mind now.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever soaking your feet in hot, salted water? Raspberry tea is very warming too.

Also, do your feet get warm if you eat a ton of chocolate? Usually mine burn up after lots of junk.

Oh, and back to your thyroid thing - I know you said you don't want to get it checked, but I don't see why you wouldn't. Knowledge is power - at least then you'll have some numbers to work with. Plus it's free! I'd recommend getting your testosterone checked too, if you can find some way to wangle it out of the NHS.

Wangle shouldn't really be used with the word testosterone, should it?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-08-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Cynomel, rohdiolia rosea, niacinimide.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Have you ever soaking your feet in hot, salted water? Raspberry tea is very warming too.

Also, do your feet get warm if you eat a ton of chocolate? Usually mine burn up after lots of junk.

Oh, and back to your thyroid thing - I know you said you don't want to get it checked, but I don't see why you wouldn't. Knowledge is power - at least then you'll have some numbers to work with. Plus it's free! I'd recommend getting your testosterone checked too, if you can find some way to wangle it out of the NHS.

Wangle shouldn't really be used with the word testosterone, should it?
    I take epson + bicarb salt baths twice a week but I don't soak my feet in a bowl. Maybe I should try that!

I eat chocolate but I don't really think it has much impact. Perhaps I should eat more . Lindt have a new one - caramel and sea salt. Pretty darn good even if it is 50% cocoa solids (is it the magnesium that helps?)

Hmmm, I'll think about it. My Brother is going back to the Doc's this week because he keeps going dizzy and feels sick. He's been three time this year and the Doc didn't do anything, but apparently he might ask for a blood sample this time around. I get a bit worked up going to the Doc's because I think he thinks I imagine these things or something... If I don't get warmer within a month then I'll make myself go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Cynomel, rohdiolia rosea, niacinimide.
    Cynomel - Is that a pharmaceutical by prescription? Seems a bit lab-made in the first instance.

Rose root sounds nice.

Nicotinamide - Depression and skin conditions seem to me a common usage for this. I'm guessing because it's a B vitamin it plays a part in the nerve system.

Which have you had experience with? Are you aware of any info for dosage or form/type of these please?

I made Lamb Dolmas tonight for dinner, with rice! Love those vine leaves and the salty taste left behind from the brine they come in.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have experience woth first two, derp can tell you more about niacinamide. Cynomel is synthetic t3 and works very well, yes its prescription but there are ways to get it. Rosea is an adaptagen that balances hormones and makes you resilient towards stress. Imo its pretty amazing.

Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast