Page 82 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Shop Now
    Get some magnesium citrate and start taking 200 mg with every meal. Increase the dose if you don't go more easily (you may have a large trip to the bathroom once it hits, but shouldn't be unpleasant) within 24 hrs, but only increase by 200 mg per day. That's what I'm doing anyway and it's working pretty well after so many months of constant constipation.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Zachadoodle, I hope you spent the day with your boy doing American things like watching fireworks and BBQing burgers
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Hi, Sugar Daddies and Mommas

Just caught up with the thread, I was about 5 pages behind.

Zach: I find it hilarious that the challenge day was actually relatively low in carbs, lol.

YogaBare: Hi, sweet momma / Glad to hear you are feeling some improvements with your newest treatments. I just started using a progesterone cream last night because I had it and figured I may as well try it. I'm all over the place, trying to figure out which direction to go. Right now I need lots of electrolytes. Sodium is no problem, but I need 6000-8000mg potassium per day, plus some magnesium and calcium sources. Going to try magnesium glycinate but I am struggling with calcium because I don't know if I am good with dairy and eggshells REALLY hurt my already messed up gut. I'm not doing well with high fat foods/meals, eggs, or my carrot salad which I love more than any other food right now and it makes me sad that everything has given me resistance.

I might try lowering my fat significantly for a few weeks to see if there's any improvement. It's a good time of year to do that and my digestion just isn't responding well to a lot of fat. I know Zach likes to lower fat intake now and then, and Derp eats low-fat most of the time. I buy this quality gelatinous bone stock from a local butcher that has the fat skimmed off, I think that will be an excellent source of gelatin and protein, but I think I'm going to incorporate more freshly squeezed juices: kale, carrot, and oranges.

Also, I might try to avoid foods high in FODMAPs for a while just to see if there's any correlation to my symptoms. Thoughts??
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Hey J3nn

A few things. Might be helpful if you post your hormone stuff, so that people have more info to work with?

Starting to taking Vitex marked a huge improvement in my energy. Haven't noticed much with the progesterone cream, but it does seem to be helping with the wrinkles on my hands

I started supplementing with Knox gelatine at the same time a, and weirdly, because of one / the other / both, my taste buds changed, and I only want to eat fruit and cottage cheese. Suddenly, I seem to be losing weight with no conscious restriction. I'm eating ICE CREAM, for cripes sake!

How much meat do you eat? I come from a vegan background, and when I started eating meat again, I started menstruating a lot more frequently.

Regarding your gut, I don't tolerate the carrot salad well: can't digest it. I think my gut is too compromised to handle anything raw. Re. potassium - do you like coconut water? It's my life saver! Magnesium should be easy: a few squares of dark chocolate a day? Or, if you prefer to supplement, I would go for the oil over tablets. Less fillers etc. Calcium: I wasn't sure I tolerated dairy well, but now I think that it's the excess fat in the dairy that was contributing to my bloat. Would you consider experimenting with dairy in the form of low fat cheese (cottage / edam etc)?

Diet in general, I'd recommend eating in the Peat vein. Zach is doing really well on it, and now I'm eating in a similar fashion and feel fantastic! Fruit, cheese, gelatine, supplemental eggs, fish, liver.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Get some magnesium citrate and start taking 200 mg with every meal. Increase the dose if you don't go more easily (you may have a large trip to the bathroom once it hits, but shouldn't be unpleasant) within 24 hrs, but only increase by 200 mg per day. That's what I'm doing anyway and it's working pretty well after so many months of constant constipation.
    I'll try that. I use to take 200mg at night before bed for months, but that had no effect. Perhaps taking more and with food will make it more potent.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Hi, Sugar Daddies and Mommas

Just caught up with the thread, I was about 5 pages behind.

Zach: I find it hilarious that the challenge day was actually relatively low in carbs, lol.

YogaBare: Hi, sweet momma / Glad to hear you are feeling some improvements with your newest treatments. I just started using a progesterone cream last night because I had it and figured I may as well try it. I'm all over the place, trying to figure out which direction to go. Right now I need lots of electrolytes. Sodium is no problem, but I need 6000-8000mg potassium per day, plus some magnesium and calcium sources. Going to try magnesium glycinate but I am struggling with calcium because I don't know if I am good with dairy and eggshells REALLY hurt my already messed up gut. I'm not doing well with high fat foods/meals, eggs, or my carrot salad which I love more than any other food right now and it makes me sad that everything has given me resistance.

I might try lowering my fat significantly for a few weeks to see if there's any improvement. It's a good time of year to do that and my digestion just isn't responding well to a lot of fat. I know Zach likes to lower fat intake now and then, and Derp eats low-fat most of the time. I buy this quality gelatinous bone stock from a local butcher that has the fat skimmed off, I think that will be an excellent source of gelatin and protein, but I think I'm going to incorporate more freshly squeezed juices: kale, carrot, and oranges.

Also, I might try to avoid foods high in FODMAPs for a while just to see if there's any correlation to my symptoms. Thoughts??
    I know you love starches, but you might want to significantly cut back on those, switching them with a lot more fruit. Much better calcium to phosphorus ratio. Failing that, you can try calcium bicarbonate.

I definitely feel better with the bulk of fat I consume coming from gouda cheese, everything else adds a trivial amount. I don't even really do the tablespoon of coconut oil anymore, it helps keep my PUFA even lower, even though I believe the ratio is more important than the sum total when kept reasonably low.

Not sure about FODMAPs, I always thought it was a fad because it promotes lots of soy and grains.
    nihil

Zach, have you noticed any difficulties sleeping while taking Eleuthero root? My week has been weird, so it might not be from that. I took it a few times throughout the day and felt like I had a great amount of energy, despite not getting great sleep, but I've been having trouble sleeping.

Derp, you don't have to eat soy & grains to avoid foods high in FODMAPs. It's a huge pain to eat that way, but you can find lists of "low FODMAPS veggies" online.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey J3nn

A few things. Might be helpful if you post your hormone stuff, so that people have more info to work with?

Starting to taking Vitex marked a huge improvement in my energy. Haven't noticed much with the progesterone cream, but it does seem to be helping with the wrinkles on my hands
    Aaah, YES! Vitex. Adding that back in rotation starting today. I took it like a few days in a row and got impatient. I must be more consistent!

How much meat do you eat? I come from a vegan background, and when I started eating meat again, I started menstruating a lot more frequently.
    I actually eat a good amount of meat mainly from a local butcher shop that only sells organic/grass-fed, and Applegate Farms grass-fed beef burgers. I eat grass-fed beef almost every day; clams, shrimp, grass-fed dairy, eggs, chicken very infrequently, etc. At least 100g protein from these sources. Not consistent with gelatin but I do have both green and red container Great Lakes. I also have gelatinous bone stock when I defrost it. :P Unfortunately my stomach HATES fatty meats and eggs and cheese, and large amounts of fat in general. Coconut and palm oil are major problems.

Regarding your gut, I don't tolerate the carrot salad well: can't digest it. I think my gut is too compromised to handle anything raw. Re. potassium - do you like coconut water? It's my life saver!
    I loooove chocolate coconut water. I was drinking Zico often but it has carrageenan in it, so I have been mostly avoiding it.

Magnesium should be easy: a few squares of dark chocolate a day? Or, if you prefer to supplement, I would go for the oil over tablets. Less fillers etc.
    Yep. I eat a few squares of Green & Blacks 85% chocolate most days. Still not enough. My RX + exercise really deplete me.

Calcium: I wasn't sure I tolerated dairy well, but now I think that it's the excess fat in the dairy that was contributing to my bloat. Would you consider experimenting with dairy in the form of low fat cheese (cottage / edam etc)?
    I have no problem with reduced fat dairy, but not sure if my tummy likes it. I'll give it a try again. I love FF cottage cheese. So good, but hard to find without gums. Maybe I can make some.

Diet in general, I'd recommend eating in the Peat vein. Zach is doing really well on it, and now I'm eating in a similar fashion and feel fantastic! Fruit, cheese, gelatine, supplemental eggs, fish, liver.
    Oh, I definitely lean Peat. My only deviation from Peat really is rice, corn, tapioca, and small amounts of other GF grains. but he does have a hierarchy of grains and says masa harina and rice is ok.

I just had some magnesium citrate and OJ and now my stomach is burning. ugh.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-05-2013 at 02:47 PM.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I know you love starches, but you might want to significantly cut back on those, switching them with a lot more fruit. Much better calcium to phosphorus ratio. Failing that, you can try calcium bicarbonate.
    I do love starches but I actually already eat more fruit (and carrots) than starches. My stomach really doesn't like when I overdo the fruit, so I need to experiment with different kinds.

I definitely feel better with the bulk of fat I consume coming from gouda cheese, everything else adds a trivial amount. I don't even really do the tablespoon of coconut oil anymore, it helps keep my PUFA even lower, even though I believe the ratio is more important than the sum total when kept reasonably low.
    When I log my food my fats are 50-75% saturated, 15-25% MUFA, and always less than 25% PUFA.

Not sure about FODMAPs, I always thought it was a fad because it promotes lots of soy and grains.
    Like nameless said, adhering to a diet low in FODMAPs doesn't really say which foods to eat but rather which foods to avoid. Garlic, onions, watermelon, apples, wheat, and so on. It's very Peat-friendly.

Learn More
    NStocks, Where are your 4000 calories coming from? Eating plenty of fruit should keep you pretty regular, it might be all the dairy which will take a bit to get used to, adding sugar should help digestion. Also more coconut oil. I honestly dont like using magnesium or any other laxative as a crutch, it might work if you really need it though. But you could try a coffee in the AM, the caffeine/magnesium combo works for most. It really just comes down to metabolism and getting your temp up.

Nameless, i have only taken Ehero twice and both times before a workout. So no, no problems sleeping with it. I gotta say though that i am feeling really strange in a good way lately, i will comment later in an update.

Om, big ol american 4th. Shot of hundreds of dollars worth of illegal fireworks, drank a crap ton of beer, ate at least 5lbs in burgers the last two days, and yes my kid got to stay up for the fireworks show this year. Great 2 days but im very ready to get back on schedule.