Page 74 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 74

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just took my temp, 99.4! Waking temp today was on the nose 98.6. Pretty amazed, and i know this therm is accurate because i tested on several other people including using it on my kid when he had a fever.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I heated about 40-50 grams of gelatin with some water on a pan, and added it to a cold glass of milk and honey. The texture was still slimy and the milk was all chunky. I salvaged it by throwing in a chunk of baking chocolate and microwaving it.

Did I add/heat the gelatin wrong? Did I not "cook" the gelatin enough? It wasn't very good drinking it before I added the chocolate. I'm planning on making half a cup of coffee and adding the other half milk tomorrow to see if the gelatin tastes better.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Here's my first day of temps:

First thing in the morning (whilst still in bed) - 35.8C (96.4)
    After first meal and within 1 hour of waking - 36.1C (96.9)
    After second meal - 36.6C (97.8)
    Just now around 1 hour before bed - 36.3C (97.3)

Pretty shocking really and it's no wonder my feet are absolutely freezing all the time. I'm also taking 3 readings each time and use the average since there is a couple of .units difference.

Here's todays food too:

11:00 - NAKD bar, small milk
    11:45 - Rice Krispies, 1.5 cup of Milk temp 30 minutes later: 36.1C
    13:50 - Goat cheese soft and hard. Few dried pineapple slices.
    14:25 - Mars Bar, small milk
    19:00 - 2 Sweet Potatoes with 1 cup grapes, honey, coconut oil, parsley, hard cheese. Temp 30 minutes later: 36.6C (didn't really enjoy this newly discovered meal, but still ate it all)
    20:30 - Mars bar, chocolate, milk, jaffa cakes

2900 calories. 375g Carbs. Total fluid is 1L goat milk and a few sips of water. Urine has some colour at last!

I'm still figuring out what to have for breakfast to make it a larger meal so that I don't have to rely on snacking. I'm probably going to get salted popcorn, croissants, jam and more pineapple to dehydrate tomorrow. Gotta say that the idea of eating anything isn't really appealing to me but I know that will go away as I get use to eating more and a range of food.

Ice cream is still on the horizon - just waiting for supplier to let me know of shipping and pricing.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    I heated about 40-50 grams of gelatin with some water on a pan, and added it to a cold glass of milk and honey. The texture was still slimy and the milk was all chunky. I salvaged it by throwing in a chunk of baking chocolate and microwaving it.

Did I add/heat the gelatin wrong? Did I not "cook" the gelatin enough? It wasn't very good drinking it before I added the chocolate. I'm planning on making half a cup of coffee and adding the other half milk tomorrow to see if the gelatin tastes better.
    You have to warm all the liquids and drink it hot/warm otherwise it will start to gelatinize. Are you afraid of warming milk or something? I find its even easier to digest warmed up with sugar added.

Heres what i do..

Small sauce pan, turn burner on medium. Paur in milk, i could to 16 quickly, a quick second = 1oz. Stir in cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt, cinnimon and coconut oil, after things are mixed i stir in the gelatin relatively slowely so it doesnt coagulate, mix until coconut oil and gelatin are completely dissolved, pour in a glass and drink within 5-10 minutes. Do it right and it should be smokth and frothy.

Zach is offline Banned
    Hey Nstocks, what would be your ideal meal if you could eat anything in the world?

Also give this a read, pretty good info. Overcoming a 4 year battle with hypogonadism and insomnia • Testimonials/Logs • Ray Peat Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You have to warm all the liquids and drink it hot/warm otherwise it will start to gelatinize. Are you afraid of warming milk or something? I find its even easier to digest warmed up with sugar added.

Heres what i do..

Small sauce pan, turn burner on medium. Paur in milk, i could to 16 quickly, a quick second = 1oz. Stir in cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt, cinnimon and coconut oil, after things are mixed i stir in the gelatin relatively slowely so it doesnt coagulate, mix until coconut oil and gelatin are completely dissolved, pour in a glass and drink within 5-10 minutes. Do it right and it should be smokth and frothy.
    That sounds really yummy! I might try this since the non-raw goat milk is pretty bland, even with salt and sugar! How much gelatine do you add? A tablespoon? (I have Great Lakes)

Zach is offline Banned
    I add 32- 40~ grams. More then that and it get s a bit too thick unless your doing more milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hey Nstocks, what would be your ideal meal if you could eat anything in the world?

Also give this a read, pretty good info. Overcoming a 4 year battle with hypogonadism and insomnia • Testimonials/Logs • Ray Peat Forum
    Very good read, I felt like I could connect with him on a few levels. At 17 though, that's a shocking age to delve into this way of dieting.

Hypogonadism: Just read a wiki article about the symptoms in men. I do have low sex drive and I've never been able to grow a full beard, even though my 3 brothers and Father can.(but hair does grow quick on face and head) I'm not really sure how I would know if my testosterone is low, other than having it checked. For what it's worth, I've gained about 2 inches on my biceps in 18 months. I don't have anorexic arms anymore, but they are certainly not bulked up. I can also get it up when I can be bothered, which isn't often unless I'm stimulated with stuff...

I've come to realise that my social anxiety issues are stemming from eating disorders too. I often distant myself by what others eat, or when food choices come up in conversation. Like when I read Paleo books or listen to podcasts about how people are trying to be perfect and surround themselves with like minded folks. (which I've stopped doing now) I have no friends either and never really did as a kid. I don't really care about having friends and hope meet some like-minded people when my career starts. I find it hard to talk to people whom I have nothing in common with which is why my "friends" are mostly on the internet! (designers think different as it is!) I'm a kind person, all of my co-workers think I'm happy and positive, but I'm kinda alone really. If it wasn't for my Twin Brother and rest of family, I'd be very upset.

Also about "eating bad". My whole family are overweight or obese. My Dad's Parents passed away before 70 of cancer and heart attack. My Mum's Mum died at 93 from hypovolemic shock - loss of blood. She ate well, was in good physical shape and I always made the connection that her long life was due to good health. (My Mother was adopted though, so theres no connection there) My Parents are both on a diet again and are loosing weight which is great, but they have been doing this for years, decades even.

I think that part of the reason for my obsessive diets, is because of those diet related deaths of my Father's parents (sure it's debatable but they never ate well), and the fact that I can see my Dad going the same way (smoked for over 35 years too). This sounds strange, but it's also why I don't eat bread. My Dad lives on the stuff and admitted he can't live without it. Now, how is someone like me going to eat that stuff knowing what it could result in? I know everyone is different but it's about context here of seeing how it affects the closet people in one's life.

My ideal meal? Not sure, and if someone asked me what I like doing, other than designing, I would say I enjoy cooking, but not sure what meal/style I like cooking. My moods are up and down with every meal I consume. I really crave ice cream for breakfast but it has to be from a goat, not cow.

Sorry for the novel!
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Make sure to read his follow up post, has good info.

Dude, stress will kill you way faster then bread. For real though, without thinking about the good and bad qualities of the food in the meal, what sounds like a perfect meal right now. Dont limit your imagination by your paranoia of food, say its your last meal on earth.

Right now, my last meal would be:

Starter: Minestrone soup - It reminds me of my childhood and closeness with my Mum (though we are still close). I also use to have an allotment from the ages of 11 -15 and a lot of the produce came home to make meals. It's also the last starter I had when I went out for a meal. (which was over 5 years ago)

Main: Lamb Dolmas (which I use to make a lot last year) served with grilled pineapple.

Dessert:Ice cream or Apple pie and custard.

Is the follow-up on the link you posted? (EDIT: I've realised it is in the comments)

I don't stress about food as much, it's just the strange connections I (still) make with food. Same with music - Any music I listen to that reminds me of the bad times at university, has to be muted because I reminisce on those stressful, unhealthy and depressing lonely times.

Probably sounds sad, but you've no idea what people like yourself mean to me. I hardly talk about any of this stuff with other people. I told my Brother I'm hypothyroid, and he just said "Oh I thought it was something else that made your feet cold". Not surprising, the whole family think I'm changing diets as much as I change my clothes!

EDIT: Reading the followup, PUFA and grains. What do you make of this, even though you don't eat grains daily? And ANTI-NUTRIENTS!!! Lol
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Page 74 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast