Page 69 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 69

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I could have beaten both of you. Perhaps you guys will be down to do it again after I lose 20 lbs?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Zach is offline Banned
    I would do it daily. :shrugs:

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Oh and starting monday im going to fully commit to my super awesome super diet, so i will try posting a bit more to help track what im doing.
    Hey Zachary,

Would love it if you kept a food log of what you're eating! Since I started my latest progesterone treatment (and started supping gelatine) my desire for food has totally changed. Without even trying, I'm suddenly gravitating towards your diet! I've no desire for meat or eggs, and the last week has basically been fruit, cottage cheese, fish / shellfish, coffee, orange juice and gelatine! If I want something else I'll have it, but apart from a few oat cakes and a few spoons of rice, this is all I want to eat.

It kind of suits me right now, cos' I'm literally so sick of thinking about food and I don't even want to cook but.... if my diet is so repetitive, will it stop having a positive effect after a while? You know this whole thing about keeping your metabolism guessing by eating different things everyday - what do you think?

I'm trying to eat the widest variety of fruit possible (raspberries, cherries, kiwis, melon, blueberries, apples, mango have featured to date), but I don't know what else to eat. Feels weird to eat cottage cheese three times a day, or sea food without any veggies. Are you not having "complete meals" anymore?

Cheers!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

patski is offline Senior Member
    No one else knows how to eat aparently!
    Y'all havent seen ME eat.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yb, yea im going to keep a food log for awhile so i can keep track of how im feeling, also with the adaptogens.

Thats pretty interesting, i wonder if its the gelatin or prog or both? Its good to hear that the prog is starting to work anyway.

I have never bought into the mixing things up idea or that you can give yourself an allergy by eating the same thigs everyday. I think it all comes down to metabolism again. Also if you think about it, anyone that doesnt eat a typical westernized diet will eat a repetitive diet.

And yea i have one meal a day usually and its almost always a breakfast meal but not eatin at breakfast. My usual schedule is wait an hour or two before any calories, drink first meal, snack till 2-4ish and have main meal, drink another meal with some snacks till around 7-8. No more cals except alcohol after that on most nights.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    So I read Diet Recovery 2 as supplementation to Eat for Heat.

One of the biggest shocks I guess, is that I need to eat at least 3680 calories and 460g carbs. I know that these calculations are only a guide but it's useful to know that I'm under eating by at least 1000 -1500 calories every day. ( I weigh 160lb, 6' 2")

I have a few questions, if you'd be so kind:

1) Food is becoming very repetitive. Every dinner is Sweet potato baked with goat cheese, salt and chicken or salmon (or no animal at all). I tried eggs with sweet potato and I've concluded that I don't like eating eggs this way, which brings me to the next question:

2) Should I bake more foods to get in more calories (from gluten free flour, mainly rice because it's super cheap), things like pizza and cookies? DR2 suggests pastries and bread with fruit jam for breakfast but the gluten free bread I've tried taste like shit. I'm 100% not eating gluten which is why these calorie dense "dry" foods are a hiccup for me. (breakfast is still mostly fruit or cereal but I'm freezing after eating this, even though it's going to take time to recover.) I could make some kind of pancake with jam though, since baking especially turns out very poor without wheat.

3) What to eat? I know grains are good for heat and quiona could work, but it's not really a "meal" is it? As far as I know, quiona is kinda like past where it's dry and require boiling to make it edible. Not sure how I could eat that.

4) I bought a thermometer today. Mid-afternoon after a main meal and some junk, my mouth temp was 36.1C (96.98). BRRRR This is way too cold. I remember taking my temp over a year ago and it was the same in the morning before any food) I'm not going to get obsessive with taking temp, but I'd like to know that what I'm doing is working to raise metabolism, not just turn urine a darker shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I could make some kind of pancake with jam though, since baking especially turns out very poor without wheat.

3) What to eat? I know grains are good for heat and quiona could work, but it's not really a "meal" is it? As far as I know, quiona is kinda like past where it's dry and require boiling to make it edible. Not sure how I could eat that.
    Gluten-free baking requires some experimentation, but it's totally doable. I've made apple cinnamon cake, brownies, and banana bread recently. Oh, and gluten-free pizza crust and cheese bread made with tapioca flour. The only thing that failed was the banana bread because bananas + sweet potatoes = too much water. I'm going to try the banana bread again with just coconut flour, and I bet it would be awesome this time.

Why can't you boil things?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Yb, yea im going to keep a food log for awhile so i can keep track of how im feeling, also with the adaptogens.

Thats pretty interesting, i wonder if its the gelatin or prog or both? Its good to hear that the prog is starting to work anyway.

I have never bought into the mixing things up idea or that you can give yourself an allergy by eating the same thigs everyday. I think it all comes down to metabolism again. Also if you think about it, anyone that doesnt eat a typical westernized diet will eat a repetitive diet.

And yea i have one meal a day usually and its almost always a breakfast meal but not eatin at breakfast. My usual schedule is wait an hour or two before any calories, drink first meal, snack till 2-4ish and have main meal, drink another meal with some snacks till around 7-8. No more cals except alcohol after that on most nights.
    Great! I'm looking forward to reading it, and following your progress properly. I'm going to hold off on the adaptogens for now so my body can settle with the progesterone treatments, but I'm taking notes

It's so weird, but since starting this treatment the difference in myself is literally day and night. Energy, mood, and also outlook!

Well, that makes sense. I won't worry so And yeah, you're right: most people eat a repetitive diet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Gluten-free baking requires some experimentation, but it's totally doable. I've made apple cinnamon cake, brownies, and banana bread recently. Oh, and gluten-free pizza crust and cheese bread made with tapioca flour. The only thing that failed was the banana bread because bananas + sweet potatoes = too much water. I'm going to try the banana bread again with just coconut flour, and I bet it would be awesome this time.

Why can't you boil things?
    I use to live off Almond flour baked goods, but I'm almost out of Almond flour and don't intend on buying it anymore (PUFA = metabolically suppressive)

I'm actually making this for dinner right now and it's working out pretty good.
    Gather: The art of Paleo Entertaining | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations

Re boiling: I just meant that raw quiona isn't really a meal and I wouldn't know what to do with it, compared to gluten-free alternatives as a bulk of a meal. (like flour)

I mostly see qiouna served with salad and bread but that's not what I want to eat.

No, no, don't use almond flour. I used to use almond flour for baking too, but I'm now convinced that it's actually really bad for you because of the PUFA content.

Flours that I use are rice, sweet (glutinous or sticky) rice, tapioca, and coconut. Tapioca makes a very chewy product, but I actually really like it. I've tried this pizza crust: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83896.html Works pretty well; I've made it twice.

Tapioca cheese bread (the kind you get at Brazilian steakhouses): Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) Recipe - Allrecipes.com Really good. Tallow works better than butter, IMO.

And if I may advertise my own recipe: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84294-3.html The apple cinnamon rum raisin cake--I made up the recipe all by myself!

Sweet potato brownies from PaleOMG--http://paleomg.com/sweet-potato-brownies/ PaleOMG has some awesome recipes.

And I'll let you know when I perfect my banana bread recipe.

Edited to add: Re the quinoa--you can mix them with ground meat and use as stuffing for stuffed bell peppers. Vegetarians will just use quinoa instead of meat as stuffing. That's really the only time I've ever used quinoa. But I'm sure you can use it as a rice substitute in most recipes. Or you can just eat rice.
    Last edited by diene; 07-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Page 69 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast