Page 53 of 113 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 53

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Wow Zach those are some pretty impressive workouts. Where did you learn all that?
    Last edited by max219; 06-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Max, yea thats the brand i drink.

I have been interested in weightlifting for years. Unfortunately i have done much more research then lifting, mainly due to injuries and just feeling like shit due to VLC. Im really into oldschool strongmen so a lot of my training revolves around that. Also strongman, olympic weightlifting and gymnastics/calisthenics.

Side note, i just picked up a pair of farmers handles, lifting log, fat bar and atlas stones (80,110,150,170,210,240). So its time to start strongman training!

Shieldmaid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Calcium to phosphorus ratio, which contributes to whether or not tryptophan is converted into excess serotonin or into niacin. Low iron too, this is why I prefer dairy to meat, anyway. Plus, low PUFA, and a more complete nutrient profile in general with the ability to entirely cut the fat. Oh, and cost and ease of preparation/consumption.
    Thank you, Derp of the Shiny Haired Hall. Question, though - why the interest in cutting the fat if it's already low in PUFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hi Shieldmaid! (mucho awesome name!)

Thats awesome that even though derp and I dont post much any more, people still find us. I to was living in fear of the dairy for some time. Even trying to convince people that it was not fit for human consumption (doh! Hebsie might remember that!).

Dairy is now my main source of calories because of all the things Derp mentioned but even more so because for me, digestion is king. Dairy digests fast, gives me great energy, has a great ratio of protein/sugar and its fat is almost all saturated/mono. Also there is the vegetarian aspect, its really the only animal food that doesnt hurt the animal (in theory). Which although im no vegan bible thumper, i like to avoid meat if i dont have to eat it. Luckily for me, meat makes me feel like shit and dairy and eggs make me feel great!

So i guess its all personal preference. And the things Derp said are icing on the cheese cake!
    Thanks for the quick response! I don't have the same ethical views towards animal consumption, but that's only because South Carolina is such a small-ag friendly state and I can afford to purchase the flesh of cows and chickens that are raised humanely, lovingly, traditionally, and respectfully. Could I not, the vegetarian appeal of milk would probably hold. I hadn't really thought of that before.

Any references on dairy digesting fast, or is that just personal experience?

Zach is offline Banned
    Complete personal experience.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Zach, any reason 1% milk and not whole? Just to avoid excess fat calories? Anything wrong with the 1% organic?

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Is it worth spending more money on Celtic Sea salt than Atlantic Sea Salt?

Geo Organics Atlantic Finely Ground Sea Salt - 500g - Geo Organics

I'm definitely getting through more salt and almost ran out. Celtic sea salt is around 3x more expensive and I wondered if there any major benefit from celtic VS atlantic. (both white)

Zach is offline Banned
    Max, yea to avoid fat calories. I get a lot from cheese and chocolate so cut them with milk. I enjoy the 1%.

Nstocks, doubtfull that there is much difference besides taste. Minerals on salt are so small that it is insignificant.

I'm reading through "Eat for Heat" and have learnt that Fruit is a cooling food because of its high water content and low salt ratio to potassium. (not paraphrased! )

So my question is, should I eat less fruit? I eat a huge bowl of 3 types of fruit for my first meal and this could be why (amongst other things) my feet are so damn cold an 1 hour later. I'm doing well with NAKD bars which is dried fruit, but they aren't a meal. Of course I could eat sweet potato which have slightly less water content but again, I can't eat them each meal.

Obviously pouring some salt over fruit might help but it's vile, despite Matt himself saying to do this and it won't change the taste that much. Sugar can also be added, but there still no salt there. (Unless simply adjusting the water to sugar ratio is warming enough for this meal)

I'm totally digging his words about "But this isn't healthy food" blah, blah blah... Now, if only I could tolerate and enjoy cow milk Ice cream!
    Last edited by Nstocks; 06-21-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Reading on, my body seems really stressed out! Cold feet are a huge sign of this.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Randle cycle, fat bogs me down and messes with my sugar oxidation. Plus 0 fat = no unsaturates

Matt is misinformed regarding fruit; sure the water content is high, but so is the sugar, which is directly stored in the liver and easiest to convert to t3 unlike starch. I'll post more on this later.
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Randle cycle, fat bogs me down and messes with my sugar oxidation. Plus 0 fat = no unsaturates

Matt is misinformed regarding fruit; sure the water content is high, but so is the sugar, which is directly stored in the liver and easiest to convert to t3 unlike starch. I'll post more on this later.
    This is what I already thought and salt to me, seems to be the thing that needs to be on fruit, not more sugar.

This is out of context and Matt notes that their is no formula for salt intake, but based on my weight of 158lbs, I should eat 20grams of salt per day. I add probably 2 teaspoons per day to my food which is like 4 grams!

Looking forward to it It's like Matt is writing about my daily struggles, I can't wait to click to the next page!

EDIT: Thoughts on Sweet potato crisps? I can coat them in quite a bit of salt and eat whenever my feet feel cold. (although I need to work out my first meal since my feet get cold within hors of waking and are cold all day)

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29591-sweet-potato-crisps
    Last edited by Nstocks; 06-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.