Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 5

Zach is offline Banned
    Only for another 31.25 years. But by then the ice caps will have melted and all the major cities of the world will be underwater, forcing everyone to flee inland and causing a severe food shortage, most likely causing a major plague of some sort, killing 78% of the population. Right about then global warming will cause a polar shift and put us into a new ice age. Oh did i mention nuclear fallout from the earthquakes?

Good news though is after all that, we should be able to return to our hunter gatherer roots and really start getting healthy again. Yay paleo!

ombat is offline Senior Member
    We are just so ahead of the curve. But not you, 'cause you eat gummy worms.

And no worries, I'm hoping to destroy my body with drugs long before 31.25 years is up.

Speaking of melting ice caps, have you seen Chasing Ice? Really neat film about a guy documenting the recession of these things.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes your paleo training will surely prepare you.

No i havnt. Sounds interesting and depressing at the same time.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that would be accurate. It's beautiful though: art with a message.

I think the whole bit about his bum knee was fictionalized for theatrical purposes, though.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating any vegetables at all, even if they are juiced? I love my fruit juice and I'm pretty sure that I will be buying a juicer in the next month so that I get more nutrition from freshly juiced fruit, VS tropicana which has been sat on shelves for who knows how long.

Is it really sustainable to eat minimal veggies? I've learnt over the past 3 years that veggies are essential for health (and clear skin which I'm trying to achieve), and cutting them (due to fibre, constipation and bloating) out seems to go against even the most conventional wisdom. I guess what I'm asking is: Are fruits more nutritious than vegetables? Even if we ignore the natural sugars? There must be a reason fruit taste way better than veg.

Is it also true that under eating can cause bloat? I'm slim but I have some fat around my stomach which makes me look out of proportion. I need to exercise to gain mass but I'm kinda lazy in that regard. (I did a poor method of body fat % taking arm measurements etc. and I'm under 10% but I have a small belly)

I feel so energised at last now that I'm eating more carbs and realising that what I thought was a lot of carbs (2 sweet potatoes per day) was too much, which is really isn't because I'm don't feel or look great.

Looking forward to your food journals, I need ideas.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Are you eating any vegetables at all, even if they are juiced? I love my fruit juice and I'm pretty sure that I will be buying a juicer in the next month so that I get more nutrition from freshly juiced fruit, VS tropicana which has been sat on shelves for who knows how long.

Is it really sustainable to eat minimal veggies? I've learnt over the past 3 years that veggies are essential for health (and clear skin which I'm trying to achieve), and cutting them (due to fibre, constipation and bloating) out seems to go against even the most conventional wisdom. I guess what I'm asking is: Are fruits more nutritious than vegetables? Even if we ignore the natural sugars? There must be a reason fruit taste way better than veg.

Is it also true that under eating can cause bloat? I'm slim but I have some fat around my stomach which makes me look out of proportion. I need to exercise to gain mass but I'm kinda lazy in that regard. (I did a poor method of body fat % taking arm measurements etc. and I'm under 10% but I have a small belly)

I feel so energised at last now that I'm eating more carbs and realising that what I thought was a lot of carbs (2 sweet potatoes per day) was too much, which is really isn't because I'm don't feel or look great.

Looking forward to your food journals, I need ideas.
    They're not essential, everything can be obtained through other means(fruit). You have to cook the shit out of them in order for them to be edible, which isn't worth it to me, though if you wish, you can add some kale to your broth for extra nutrients.

Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Zach is offline Banned
    I wont be eating any vegetables except a few in my juices. The ones i usually use are cucumbers, cilantro, dandelion greens, parsley, tomatoes, celery and beets. Very occasionally i will add some spinach or kale.

Herbs have way more nutriants then regular veggies so i use them more. I tend to avoid cruciferous vegetables because they are goitergens and also contain oxalates. Like derp said, you basically have to cook the crap out of them for them to be edible, eating raw veggies is pretty pointless and just leads to major bloat. I have found the veggies more then anything else give me digestive issues.

Heres how i look at it. Plants do not want to be eaten. They cannot move so they develope defense mechanisms. Now these mechanisms might not be incredibly potent but eat them enough and you will feel them. We also do not have the digestive systems of cows or gorillas to break down the cellulose and get the nutriants locked in.

Fruit on the other hand was meant to be eaten. Its highly calorie dense and digestible and free of defense mechanisms. Fruit is the perfect food because you can pick it and eat it, simple as that. Stick to fruits, tubers, roots, gourds and a bit of leafy greens, these are the most edible things of the plant world.

Yes undereating will cause bloat by lowering thyroid and reducing digestive acid. My oldtime strongman hero Arthur Saxon would eat a massive amount of food and he believed firmly that you need to eat a lot to have a strong digestion. Dont use it, you lose it type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    They're not essential, everything can be obtained through other means(fruit). You have to cook the shit out of them in order for them to be edible, which isn't worth it to me, though if you wish, you can add some kale to your broth for extra nutrients.

Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
    I have definetley heard that before, but most say if you can get it from "plants" (veggies), or meat, always go for the meat... I'm still going to eat organic, grasss fed lamb and chicken, plus salmon but I'm not going to overdue it like I was doing. I think one serving per day is plenty and it means I save a ton of money on buying fruit instead!

I'm growing kale, herbs and lettuce so I will add this to the juicer.

Great read, Zach linked that to me in a different thread too!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I wont be eating any vegetables except a few in my juices. The ones i usually use are cucumbers, cilantro, dandelion greens, parsley, tomatoes, celery and beets. Very occasionally i will add some spinach or kale.

Herbs have way more nutriants then regular veggies so i use them more. I tend to avoid cruciferous vegetables because they are goitergens and also contain oxalates. Like derp said, you basically have to cook the crap out of them for them to be edible, eating raw veggies is pretty pointless and just leads to major bloat. I have found the veggies more then anything else give me digestive issues.

Heres how i look at it. Plants do not want to be eaten. They cannot move so they develope defense mechanisms. Now these mechanisms might not be incredibly potent but eat them enough and you will feel them. We also do not have the digestive systems of cows or gorillas to break down the cellulose and get the nutriants locked in.

Fruit on the other hand was meant to be eaten. Its highly calorie dense and digestible and free of defense mechanisms. Fruit is the perfect food because you can pick it and eat it, simple as that. Stick to fruits, tubers, roots, gourds and a bit of leafy greens, these are the most edible things of the plant world.

Yes undereating will cause bloat by lowering thyroid and reducing digestive acid. My oldtime strongman hero Arthur Saxon would eat a massive amount of food and he believed firmly that you need to eat a lot to have a strong digestion. Dont use it, you lose it type of thing.
    FODMAPS are a HUGE issue for me, even after eliminating them for several months. I never use to be like that, which in a way back up your message about "Don't use it, you lose it"...

Do you take any form of pro/prebiotic? Are they needed?I guess technically sugar is sugar and CV says that sugar feeds the bad bacteria. personally, I don't think it's that bad when we obtain sugar from fruit. I find the Sauerkraut and BioKult both cause bloating, as does all yoghurts. A sign of poor digestion or weakened gut?

From another thread I head about someone called "Raw Kirstina". This is how much she claims to get through a week:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibe0B_JM1w

That's a HUGE amount, I could never eat or even afford that. It's mostly fruit too and she looks extremely radiant and healthy.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    No i dont believe in probiotics, hard to tell what if anything they are doing. Sugar feeds every cell in your body, its necessary for life. I dont think sugar even gets far enough down the digestive tract to feed many guy bacteria, good or bad. Starch and fiber on the other hand.

Yes raw foodists and feuitarians have to eat massive amounts to get enough calories. Pretty crazy. I agree with them that raw live food with all its enzymes is the key to better health.

Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast