Page 31 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 31

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dry flaky skin is another sign of hypothyroid. Do you have insurance (do you need insurance over there?)? You should get that checked out for sure and maybe you will be able to get one some meds, otherwise if you can find a spot to pick up some t3.

Otherwise more food!
    I don't have health insurance, I'm on the NHS... I'd have a very hard time trying to convince my Doctor that I need thyroid tests. When I went in with high stress and low weight (at uni) as well as acne and dark circles, he offered me iron testing (for anaemia)which came back clear. I eventually got a full blood test and only calcium was a tiny bit down but nothing to worry about. It's something to keep in mind though, if I still don't get my issue sorted by winter.

It truly is. I go through a litre a week or so. I have started just swiggin it if im feeling low, great pick me up!

Nstocks, you should try something like this, buy a cheap source of sugar and use it as a supplement throughout the day.
    I made blueberry muffins (with almond flour) last week and used honey and a tone of sugar that I have left from kombucha I no longer make (organic raw cane sugar). The muffins were amazing but they bloated me too. I really need to find a good source of candy which doesn't have HFCS. I can't just eat sugar from a jar and making my own candy won't work - these type of foods just don't turn out when home made.

Thanks for your help.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I don't have health insurance, I'm on the NHS... I'd have a very hard time trying to convince my Doctor that I need thyroid tests. When I went in with high stress and low weight (at uni) as well as acne and dark circles, he offered me iron testing (for anaemia)which came back clear. I eventually got a full blood test and only calcium was a tiny bit down but nothing to worry about. It's something to keep in mind though, if I still don't get my issue sorted by winter.
    Hey Nstocks, I got my thyroid checked a month ago on the NHS! Just go in complaining of all hypo symptoms (particularly exhaustion and depression) and tell your doc you want to get checked out for hypothyroidism. They can't really say no to that!

I made blueberry muffins (with almond flour) last week and used honey and a tone of sugar that I have left from kombucha I no longer make (organic raw cane sugar). The muffins were amazing but they bloated me too. I really need to find a good source of candy which doesn't have HFCS. I can't just eat sugar from a jar and making my own candy won't work - these type of foods just don't turn out when home made.
    This is really obvious, but have you tried dark chocolate? How about making your own banana chips? Bananas are super cheap over here. You can add sugar if needs be and cook them using coconut oil. http://eating-made-easy.com/2011/04/...-banana-chips/

Why do you need to make candy anyway?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Just add the sugar to your milk.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...hey, what's up Babs?!? Boy, times have changed for you!...hebs

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie View Post
    ...hey, what's up Babs?!? Boy, times have changed for you!...hebs
    Indeed they have! Stick around bud! How you been?

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Nstocks, I got my thyroid checked a month ago on the NHS! Just go in complaining of all hypo symptoms (particularly exhaustion and depression) and tell your doc you want to get checked out for hypothyroidism. They can't really say no to that!

This is really obvious, but have you tried dark chocolate? How about making your own banana chips? Bananas are super cheap over here. You can add sugar if needs be and cook them using coconut oil. Homemade Banana Chips - Eating Made Easy

Why do you need to make candy anyway?
    I will consider getting checked out, but I don't really have many "symptoms". I could creatively explain what my issues are other than dark circles and dry skin. (and some tiredness).

I have tried making my own chocolate but hated it. Mind you, it was whilst on the 21 day sugar detox lol. I don't have the ingredients anyway now and don't want to buy any. I don't eat bananas even though they are super cheap and quite sugary. I generally get bloated but I'm going to try eating some this week, ensuring they are extremely ripe. Those banana chips looks quite interesting. I have a dehydrator too!

The reason for making my own candy is because I just can't make myself buy that kind of junk. If it was cane sugar with natural flavours, then yes I'd buy it if it was cheap (but it isn't; Biona gummy bears are 1.75 for a tiny bag.) Even the ' The natural confectionary company' use glucose syrup as the first ingredient. I'd rather spend money on fruit which isn't that much more expensive than junk. (I mostly buy fruit that is on offer) I know how much I need to eat and I'm thinking about selling my car before insurance expire in September. (it's 60 a month)

Hmmm. Maybe I should get over the HFCS and buy the damn stuff! I'll look into bananas first.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 06-01-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Just add the sugar to your milk.
    Ha yep I could do that! I really wish I tolerate cows milk and just buy Haagen Dazs which has around 5 ingredients. Oh well, I'll find something else.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Indeed they have! Stick around bud! How you been?
    ...good, and I plan on it. I'm about 25 pages into this journal and I think that I'm already getting sucked into the almighty vortex that is Zach! Actually just took a ten minutes break here to run over to the store and buy my first bottle of real ketchup in probably, oh I don't know, maybe ten years!!

Now I'm not quite ready to start bathing in the maple syrup yet, but figured a little liquid sugar, courtesy of the good folks at Heinz, would make a mighty fine start Bottoms up old friend ...<takes a big squirt of the sweet red stuff>...

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I have tried making my own chocolate but hated it.
    What were the ingredients? I make my own chocolate out of coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey or maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt. I have silicone molds and will make fillings for them as well. Raspberry's my favorite

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    TJ's has cheap honey and maple syrup. I'm sick of both though
    nihil

Page 31 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast