Page 14 of 113 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 14

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yea id probably skip trying to make your own cheese. Any raw cheese you buy at a decent store moat likely will also be pastured. Just drink the milk and kefir and save your $.
    I'm coming to think that's a better option. Either that or make a pasteurised cheese with the Raw milk: Homemade Goat Cheese | kiss my spatula | food + photography

I know of Raw goat cheese but it's very difficult to ship for some reason. The supermarkets don't sell raw cheese but they do have a soft and hard cheese. (Can never find organic) I only really want goat cheese because it's something good to add to any meal and is is quite savoury.

St Helen's Farm Goats Cheese 240G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

British Goats Cheese 125G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

In general, is there any benefit of buying hard vs soft cheese?

Depending on how my strawberry ice cream turns out tomorrow, I will stick to kefir, milk and ice cream. Good thing is that I can freeze it all so I can buy in bulk. (It's actually shopped frozen unless fresh is requested, in my case it was so I could make ice cream) It's great that I've been in direct contact with the farmer, seen the goats, and had them milked specifically for my order. I'm all for spending more money on this - It pleases me also to know that the goats have names, not numbers and are very well cared for.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Thats awesome, im jealous! I live in a State where raw milk is illegal. I can only get raw cheese if it is older then 60 days. Raw milk ice cream sounds like the best thing ever!

I dont know of many differences between the cheeses. Sift may have a higher k2 content and maybe easier to digest but that could he completely false. Probably one of thise things where worrying about it is worse then the actual choice.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Hey Zach, I hope you don't mind a couple of questions here on your journal for you. I'm hypothyroid, actually mostly likely hashi's. I'm on Naturethroid. Last summer I tried a couple months low carb and then VLC and it did me in. Recently I've added some of the Ray Peat things into my day.

-Carbs mostly from fruit-for now I've cut out most veggies bc I know I need more carbs.
    -Daily aspirin. It has helped so much with inflammation!
    -I take niacinamide.
    -I've been having a raw carrot or a carrot salad for about the past week. I'm pretty sure I have high estrogen. I'll be tested as soon as I can get back to my naturopath.

I'm a fairly active female and in the gym about 5 days a week either lifting, sprinting and whatever else I feel like. Btw, I'm also type 1 diabetic. The carbs really do help with insulin resistance. I would rather have a few bigger boluses than have a chronically high basal drip of insulin and still fighting insulin resistance. Just my n=1.

Also, my heart rate in now usually in the 60's-70's. It has been as low as in the 50's! And I thought it was bc I was fit. lol
    I'm also noticing that I'm staying warmer now.

What are your thoughts on IF? Even with the thyroid stuff I deal with do you think it would be beneficial for me to IF a couple of times a week?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you for your posts on this forum.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Hey Zach, I hope you don't mind a couple of questions here on your journal for you. I'm hypothyroid, actually mostly likely hashi's. I'm on Naturethroid. Last summer I tried a couple months low carb and then VLC and it did me in. Recently I've added some of the Ray Peat things into my day.

-Carbs mostly from fruit-for now I've cut out most veggies bc I know I need more carbs.
    -Daily aspirin. It has helped so much with inflammation!
    -I take niacinamide.
    -I've been having a raw carrot or a carrot salad for about the past week. I'm pretty sure I have high estrogen. I'll be tested as soon as I can get back to my naturopath.

I'm a fairly active female and in the gym about 5 days a week either lifting, sprinting and whatever else I feel like. Btw, I'm also type 1 diabetic. The carbs really do help with insulin resistance. I would rather have a few bigger boluses than have a chronically high basal drip of insulin and still fighting insulin resistance. Just my n=1.

Also, my heart rate in now usually in the 60's-70's. It has been as low as in the 50's! And I thought it was bc I was fit. lol
    I'm also noticing that I'm staying warmer now.

What are your thoughts on IF? Even with the thyroid stuff I deal with do you think it would be beneficial for me to IF a couple of times a week?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you for your posts on this forum.
    Hi Brookesam!

Well first things first, you should get properly diagnosed and find out what type of hypo you are. Is Naturethyroid a prescription or an over the counter medication?

I think you are very much on the right track. There is a lot of research showing that a diabetics actually do better on higher carbs from the right sources. Definitely stick to fruit as your main source since and you probably should eat a few veggies of some kind for a bit more fiber. Although fruit and carrot salad is pretty good. Whats the rest of your diet look like? I like that you are in the gym that much, diabetics do much better when physically active.

No i dont think IF is beneficial. I do personally like to cut foods a few hours before bed and a few hours after waking, so i guess this is a mini fast. This is personal though and since you are type 1, i dont feel comfortable giving you calorie timing advice. My advice would just be to do a bit of experimenting.

What are your main problems besides hypo and maybe high estrogen? Are you trying to lose fat?

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hi Brookesam!

Well first things first, you should get properly diagnosed and find out what type of hypo you are. Is Naturethyroid a prescription or an over the counter medication?

I think you are very much on the right track. There is a lot of research showing that a diabetics actually do better on higher carbs from the right sources. Definitely stick to fruit as your main source since and you probably should eat a few veggies of some kind for a bit more fiber. Although fruit and carrot salad is pretty good. Whats the rest of your diet look like? I like that you are in the gym that much, diabetics do much better when physically active.

No i dont think IF is beneficial. I do personally like to cut foods a few hours before bed and a few hours after waking, so i guess this is a mini fast. This is personal though and since you are type 1, i dont feel comfortable giving you calorie timing advice. My advice would just be to do a bit of experimenting.

What are your main problems besides hypo and maybe high estrogen? Are you trying to lose fat?
    Naturethroid is like Armour, its a form of NDT. It's a prescription. I'm up to 3.5 grains right now. Last month my labs showed I was still hypo at 3 grains and I felt hypo too. The reason I say probably Hashi's is bc I have high antibodies. I had a recent ultrasound that showed a cyst on my thyroid. It wasn't inflamed and very tiny so there isn't a need to biopsy.

I usually eat about 4 meals a day and I'll eat a banana 1-2 times a day when my blood sugar drops. My meals are mostly protein and carbs and a little fat these days bc I want to lose some of the weight I've gained in the past year. For protein I usually eat eggs. egg whites, grassfed ground beef, goat cheese, and occasionally canned tuna (soy free). I eat roasted carrots and canned pumpkin and also fruit for carbs. I use coconut oil for cooking and eat shredded coconut also. I've been trying to make sure I have more carbs than protein and that's helping with a lot of things. I also have about 4 tbs of beef unflavored gelatin a day. Over the last month I've cut out the skinless chicken tenderloins I would eat for lean protein.

My goal is to lose some of this fat I've gained!
    I thought that when I got on NDT that it would be easy for me to lose some extra fat so I started lifting heavy and doing a 5x5 workout. I was thinking, "I'm about to get really buff!" haha I gained some muscle but in the process I gained some fat. I'm about 8-10lbs heavier than I was a year ago. I've only gone up one size in clothing but this is not fun! I was reading recently either something that Ray Peat or Danny Roddy wrote and it talked about how when a person supplements T3 that sometimes it can show that they have an underlying low metabolism bc their body was running on stress hormones before and staying slim that way. I think when I started on the Naturethroid it just showed I had a low metabolic rate and I didn't have the stress hormones kicking in as much to keep me from gaining weight. Does that make sense?

I have experimented with IF and it didn't do much for insulin resistance. I still had to give small boluses of insulin even without food. So that's good to know that these things aren't just in my head.

I don't really have any other problems besides hypo and trying to fix a low metabolism.
    Thanks Zach!

Zach is offline Banned
    I really dont see much else you could except just watching your portions and fat and getting your thyroid meds to where they need to be. Some people have issues with t4 and need to supplement with t3 alone. Have you been feeling better since starting the meds?

I think your on the right track. Just keep doing what you are doing!

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Brooksam - couldn't help but laugh reading what you eat. I pretty much eat the SAME exact foods as the bulk of my diet. I guess I'm not the only one who eats mainly canned fish, eggs, grass fed beef, fruit, and coconut oil/meat, canned pumpkin, and carrots. (I do eat a LOT of sweet potatoes/ potatoes also though)

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so Ice cream didn't work out. Luckily it's money-back guarantee so I can get a full refund. I think I'll stick to drinking the raw goat milk and just buy cheese. The kefir has a very strange taste - certainly a super probiotic! Unlike every other probiotic I've tried, I don't really get much bloating.

Still breaking out on my jawline and now it's gone to the other side as well! Really fucked off about it. Still only using baking soda and jojoba oil every 3 days. Still changing pillowcase every other day and bedding weekly.

Overall my skin looks fine really, I just have jawline acne + scars and still those horrid dark circles! I've been sleeping before 12pm for the past week too, getting at least 9 hours. I'm still exercising, taking salt baths and dry body brushing.

Sometimes I just feel like getting a hold of antibiotics or something to see if it "works". I know it won't and I'd never actually take them, it's just something else to fall back on.

I know that nobody has a cure for this and the supplementation route has pretty much been exhausted, having tried dozens of them over the past 5 years. It's a cycle that never seems to clear up completely

What does everybody think of the Raw milk fast?

On the other hand, I feel pretty good most of the time and I'm getting a lot of sunshine (when it's out!)
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-17-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    I think your trying to speed up your recovery but seriously it takes a lot of time. It took me two years + to get to where i am now after initially ruining my health.

Focus on becoming mineral replete. Add some baking soda and sea salt to your magnesium baths and take them often. Go naked tanning if at all possible, getting sun on the junk seriously boosts test and probably other hormones. Keep up with the exercise and try to get sweating a couple times a week. Buy that juicer when you can and start juicing everything.

As for the raw milk diet, i dont think it would help you at all. Lots of raw milk, raw juice and a few raw egg yolks might be something to try though.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Max, your PM's are full. Just post those questions here.

Page 14 of 113 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast