Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 13

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    On using baking soda for skin cleansing: some people are more sensitive to it than others. Personally, I can do it a few times a week (splashing with cold water after to close the pores) and my skin looks & feels great. I apply a very light amount of unscented lotion after. If it seems like it's doing more harm than good after a little while, try adjusting the frequency of your scrub/wash. If i do it every day, my skin dries out.
    Indeed. I'm trying this: Baking wash then jojoba oil. Next day do nothing. Next day shave. Next day Baking soda wash then jojoba oil. Repeat. This was I'm not washing the same day as shaving and I give my skin a chance to heal. Splashing/rinsing with cold water really does help too!

If this doesn't work I'll try African black soap which I just bought as a body wash. (Dr bronners gets expensive whereas the soap will last for a very long time, so I've heard.)

I received some raw goat milk today

It's very tasty and I can easily digest it. I tried making ice cream without heating the milk or adding eggs, but due to fat molecules, it doesn't form like normal pasteurised ice cream does.

The farmer also informed me that because goat milk has no agglutinin, which is the stuff that makes cows milk separate into thick cream on top, the consistency of the ice cream isn't great. (Agglutinin is very allergic, so the fact that goats milk doesn't have it makes it a lot easier to tolerate - but it doesn't raise a cream the way cow's milk does.)

Can I drink too much milk? I mean, if I have 180ml Kefir (recommended amount per day) plus say, 300ml raw milk and some ice cream or cheese? I'm actually thinking about investing my money in dairy more so than meat, just because I feel much better with it. This high quality dairy isn't cheap at all so I will have to make some compromises, but will never cut out meat entirely. (I like to plan ahead so knowing what my options are and what they provide me with are essential)

I'll still drink the shop-bought OJ for now, as I plan on buying a juicer when my leafy greens grow. I think that by drinking the milk and eating a lot of fruit, I won't have t rely as much on the fruit juices, even if they are freshly made at home.

My food pyramid would now look something like this (bearing in mind that it's not easy to picture a plate of milk/cheese compared to some meat)

Raw Fruit
    Dairy
    Meat (almost all Minced Lamb)
    Chicken
    Fish (salmon, pilchards)
    Greens (juiced)
    Organ Meat / Bone Broth
    Coconut oil
    Nut Flour / Eggs (only when baking which is very rare/monthly)

This is a complete 180 on my diet a few months ago but I feel so much better now.

Skin hasn't improved but it takes a long time and I know that now.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I once had homemade goat milk ice cream at a ranch in Montana (the milk was from goats raised on the ranch), and it was SO good. Best ice cream I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I once had homemade goat milk ice cream at a ranch in Montana (the milk was from goats raised on the ranch), and it was SO good. Best ice cream I've ever had.
    It really does taste a lot better than even the premium stuff. (Organic Green & Blacks)!

I'm actually looking at how to make RAW Goat cheese instead of using heat and lemon juice and curdling it... I think I need some starter culture but I'd much rather have most of the dairy raw, esp. when I'm paying 2/pint. (though if I buy 50 pints I save about 30%!)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You need starter culture, rennet, and a recipe for the type of cheese you want to make. Look up a recipe first, because you may also want to get some other supplies, too.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    I received some raw goat milk today

It's very tasty and I can easily digest it. I tried making ice cream without heating the milk or adding eggs, but due to fat molecules, it doesn't form like normal pasteurised ice cream does.

The farmer also informed me that because goat milk has no agglutinin, which is the stuff that makes cows milk separate into thick cream on top, the consistency of the ice cream isn't great. (Agglutinin is very allergic, so the fact that goats milk doesn't have it makes it a lot easier to tolerate - but it doesn't raise a cream the way cow's milk does.)

Can I drink too much milk? I mean, if I have 180ml Kefir (recommended amount per day) plus say, 300ml raw milk and some ice cream or cheese? I'm actually thinking about investing my money in dairy more so than meat, just because I feel much better with it. This high quality dairy isn't cheap at all so I will have to make some compromises, but will never cut out meat entirely. (I like to plan ahead so knowing what my options are and what they provide me with are essential)

I'll still drink the shop-bought OJ for now, as I plan on buying a juicer when my leafy greens grow. I think that by drinking the milk and eating a lot of fruit, I won't have t rely as much on the fruit juices, even if they are freshly made at home.

My food pyramid would now look something like this (bearing in mind that it's not easy to picture a plate of milk/cheese compared to some meat)

Raw Fruit
    Dairy
    Meat (almost all Minced Lamb)
    Chicken
    Fish (salmon, pilchards)
    Greens (juiced)
    Organ Meat / Bone Broth
    Coconut oil
    Nut Flour / Eggs (only when baking which is very rare/monthly)

This is a complete 180 on my diet a few months ago but I feel so much better now.

Skin hasn't improved but it takes a long time and I know that now.
    I think this is a great addition to your diet and no there is no limit. You should eat as muh dairy as you can get a hold of. Awesome work, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You need starter culture, rennet, and a recipe for the type of cheese you want to make. Look up a recipe first, because you may also want to get some other supplies, too.
    It looks like there is a fair amount of stuff needed to make truly raw cheese... Hmmm, not sure about this yet but thanks for the heads up! Are there any extra benifits of making a hard cheese compared to a soft cheese? I like both but if one has more benifits, I'd probably look at making that one.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I think this is a great addition to your diet and no there is no limit. You should eat as muh dairy as you can get a hold of. Awesome work, dude!
    Thanks, I really feel much better now! Who'd have thought that the major food (groups) I've been avoiding for years are actually what I need back to regain health.

I'm so happy about all of this now and thank you so much Zach and everybody else for your advice. Whom knows where I'd be right now, had I not posted out about my Paleo problems! I'm slightly aching from exercises which is only a good thing - it means I'm actually working my muscles now!
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-15-2013 at 03:02 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    It looks like there is a fair amount of stuff needed to make truly raw cheese... Hmmm, not sure about this yet but thanks for the heads up! Are there any extra benifits of making a hard cheese compared to a soft cheese? I like both but if one has more benifits, I'd probably look at making that one.
    Soft cheese will be ready to eat much, much sooner.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yea id probably skip trying to make your own cheese. Any raw cheese you buy at a decent store moat likely will also be pastured. Just drink the milk and kefir and save your $.

Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast