Page 12 of 113 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 12

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Entry 5 - Zachs daily pint of ice cream.

Foods
    From 9am to 5pm - 3 bananas, 2 oranges, 3 apples, 1/2 gallon 1% milk, 6 oreo cookies.
    6:30pm - 1.5lbs of T-bone steak, 8oz 1% milk, big pile of sweet potatoes with a bit of butter, lots of salt.
    9:00pm - pint of vanilla ice cream w a few oz maple syrup and large grain salt.

Exercise
    5pm
    Pullups - 6,6,5,5,4,3,3,3,3,2 - 40
    one hand hang - 35sec each arm
    KB 1 arm row - 24kg x 20 (e), 24 (e)
    Knees to Elbows - 3x10
    KB Windmill - 24kg x 3 x 3 each side

Thoughts
    Awesome day. Think im going to try to eat like this on most days. Perfect constant energy all day, just at fruit and drank milk throughout the day when hungry and post work out had two huge delicious meals. Only things i might add are some eggs in the AM and some coffee+ once in awhile, still not a huge coffee fan but its not bad either.

Read a great Ray Peat interview transcript here Thyroid Deficiency & Common Health Problems 180 Degree Health and that convinced me to get in way more protein then i was previously getting. In the past, heavy protein meals would cause digestion problems but it seems as long as i dont include fiber with my meat and trim the fat that i am AOK. Grok on!

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Does anybody know about zinc? I'm getting somewhat desperate (again) for my breakouts. I've read that zinc can hep with male hormones and many other things. I do eat some foods with zinc but I'm mostly eating fruit which doesn't contain zinc... I'm still not sure whether to go into topical solutions because AFAIK, acne is still internal. (but it's odd that only one side of my face is constantly breaking out ) I find that yoghurt and honey as a face mask help balance my skin and makes it smooth but it doesn't help with inflammation or breakouts.

I'm going to work on movements to make me sweat, as well as epson salt baths every week.

Should I look at goat milk kefir? I can buy it raw, organic and grass fed. I could only buy a weeks worth though at 15. (or I could also buy raw goat milk)... Just figuring out if it's better to get liquids as fruit juice or dairy. Dairy = acne in a lot of cases but since I've stopped consuming it for over 4 years, I don't believe it causes my acne. I'm thinking dairy is super high in vitamin A and most fruit is super high in Vitamin C.

Ray Peat:

"Yes, vitamin A and estrogen are antagonistic, and while estrogen promotes keratinization (shedding of skin cells), vitamin A opposes it. Since vitamin A is highly unsaturated, in excess it suppresses the thyroid, so it has to be balanced with the thyroid; the combination is effective for increasing progesterone and decreasing estrogen, slowing the turnover of skin cells, and making the skin cells function longer before flaking off. Plugged pores, combined with a local shift toward synthesizing inflammatory substances, foster bacterial infection. Bright light stimulates the production of steroids, and consumes vitamin A very quickly, but when the balance is right, the acne clears up in just a day or two. Cream, butter, eggs, and liver are good sources of vitamin A. When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly. It was acne and dandruff that led me into studying the steroids and thyroid, and in the process I found that they were related to constipation and food sensitivity"

I also found this which is for dark circles. It says kidney deficiency or bowel movements as well as candida can cause dark circles. (I did a 8 week 'candida cleanse' 2 years ago and it didn't do anything for me)

http://www.askanaturopath.com/faqs/d...the-eyes/p/282

Just putting it out there to see if anyone else can make a working connection between what I'm doing and what could still be insufficient.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-11-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    I just think you need to work on more calories. More calories = more zinc as well. I would say yes to the goat milk because it is more calories and has protein, retinol, k2, calcium and many other things including a bit if zinc. Dont totally replace the juice though.

I like the ideas of sweating more and elsom salt baths. Do you get sun on your skin as much as you can? I found a tan helps with acne.

What all do you put on your face? How many times do you wash it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I just think you need to work on more calories. More calories = more zinc as well. I would say yes to the goat milk because it is more calories and has protein, retinol, k2, calcium and many other things including a bit if zinc. Dont totally replace the juice though.

I like the ideas of sweating more and elsom salt baths. Do you get sun on your skin as much as you can? I found a tan helps with acne.

What all do you put on your face? How many times do you wash it?
    Oh yes calories too! I never really think of dairy = high calorie... I'm trying to figure out the best path because I can't afford a juicer to make my own fruit juice and goats milk/kefir. It has to be either goat products + shop bought fruit juice or homemade fruit juice. When I have money I will do both!

I get at least 1 hour of sun per week. Even if it's not very sunny I try to sit outside for a fair amount of time.

I wash my face once a day (at night) and I only use water. I occasionally use jojoba oil to moisturise but no more than twice per week. I use muslin cloths to exfoliate and use a natural shaving cream. That's it! I've literally tried everything out there, even not letting anything including water touch my face for 2 months. This didn't help with breakouts but my skin looked better afterwards. Currently I'm applying organic yoghurt and honey every night for 30 minutes then rinsing.

I really wish some miracle product was out there but I'm not sure whether it worth looking at topical anymore. (the last thing I can think of is African black soap). It really sucks because I'm starting to feel great on the inside and I try not to get emotional about it.

Zach is offline Banned
    What happens if you grow a beard? Seems like a logical solution to your problem: the only other thing i suggest is try the baking soda scrub in the shower and moisturize immediately after with jojoba oil. Dont put anything else on your face and only wash every 2-3 days. I think scrubbing your face daily is a bad idea if you have delicate skin.

Dunno man, things like that suck. Just keep working on bringing up your thyroid/metabolism and hopefully it will solve itself.

Oh and get more sun! I know its hard where you live, but try.
    Last edited by Zach; 05-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What happens if you grow a beard? Seems like a logical solution to your problem: the only other thing i suggest is try the baking soda scrub in the shower and moisturize immediately after with jojoba oil. Dont put anything else on your face and only wash every 2-3 days. I think scrubbing your face daily is a bad idea if you have delicate skin.

Dunno man, things like that suck. Just keep working on bringing up your thyroid/metabolism and hopefully it will solve itself.

Oh and get more sun! I know its hard where you live, but try.
    Yep, tried growing a beard too! I also bought an electric shaver but recently changed back to a manual razor because it's makes no difference. I don't have a lot of facial hair anyway, almost none on my neck/jaw where I get acne the most and strangely where I do shave, there's very little breakouts.

I'll give the baking soda a try every 2-3 days. I've got nothing to loose! Do you just put a small amount over your face and scrub gently? Then rinse, apply jojoba and pat dry to remove excess jojoba oil?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-11-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    I put a small pile in my hands, add a bit of water to make a paste and scrub the hell out of my face. Rinse that off and immediately put a small amount of lotion on my hands, mix that with water also and rub it in for a minute or so. It seems to absorb a lot better in a hot shower with warm water. Then yes just pat dry.

jackaaron is offline Member
    I'm just throwing this out there on the acne, and I know it may not be well received...but...I had this as a teen as well, and the one thing that worked the absolute best for me was rubbing alcohol.

Specifically, only in places where acne was. IF I were to put in a place where there was no acne, then it strangely would cause it.

Nevertheless, once I started using that, and washing my face approximately 3-5 times a day, things started to clear up quite a bit.

Yes, it does dry out the area where the acne was. I was fine with that, and I didn't put any lotions on it. In fact, I was glad to see the acne area dry because it meant, for me, that it was going away.

Not for everyone I admit :-)

Just coming in to add about my last meal. I made a "paleo meatloaf" with minced lamb and lamb liver... I had about 250grams of the whole thing (to make 3 separate meals) and I was so bloated! I really don't know why I use to be so focused on eating so much damn meat! I ALWAYS use to feel like I do right now and thought I was "doing the right thing" just because it's fat/meat.

I think moderate fat, protein and carbs will be much better for me. I actually calculates just how many carbs I'm eating now and it's still under 300g which is the apparent "danger zone". Yeah, I don't really care about that kind of paradigm anymore because eating so much meat (and therfor low carb) does not work for me.

I also exercised today and enjoyed it. I did it within 1hr of waking before my first meal. I also ordered some goat milk and goat kefir today which will be great for the protein since I'm reducing my meat intake and don't really have another source of protein.

I tried the baking soda and my skin is very soft. More so than when I did the oil cleansing method. It'll be at least 4 weeks before I'll know for sure if has impact on my breakouts but that's nothing really.

Jackaaron - Thanks for your post but I'd never use rubbing alcohol on my skin, certainly not 3-5 times a day! Good for you that it works though!
    Last edited by Nstocks; 05-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    On using baking soda for skin cleansing: some people are more sensitive to it than others. Personally, I can do it a few times a week (splashing with cold water after to close the pores) and my skin looks & feels great. I apply a very light amount of unscented lotion after. If it seems like it's doing more harm than good after a little while, try adjusting the frequency of your scrub/wash. If i do it every day, my skin dries out.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).