Page 106 of 113 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1124

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 106

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Damn, could be the over-exercising. I've been running about 20-30 miles per week, which pales in comparison to the 60-80 I used to do. I would like to stop but I want to see how well I do in these obstacle races. I also am asked to run with the high school kids I coach too.

The good news is that I am keeping my strength in the gym and possibly getting stronger too. I'm also still in some sort of aerobic shape, although not quite like I used to be. Oh well, I'll take it day by day.
    Last edited by max219; 09-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Well your view on aerobics and running is very skewed because you were a pretty phenomenal runner. The aversge person could never do sub 20min 5ks or keep the pace you do on longer runs. Your in awesome aerobic shape.

I really dont think you need to do much distance running to stay in good shape for tough mudders. Try keeping your lifting fast paced, do some metabolic conditioning and sprints and maybe twice a week go for runs, one longer run and one 5k. For the 5k, always try and and beat your time.

I understand your obligation to the kids but remember your health comes first. If you continue getting up to pee at night, you will really ruin your sleep. Keep an eye on it.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Will do, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice man. What is an example of metabolic conditioning?

Zach is offline Banned
    Crossfit workouts, tabatas, complexes, etc.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Zach,
    I've been trying to read through this journal (mostly skipping through and reading your posts) and I just couldn't be more excited about your success eating this way. Your current diet is exactly how I have always wanted to eat but never have due to guilt and thinking that I should be eating some other way for health. I would never want to give up the freedom to stray every so often when I have a craving, but overall those foods are all I want anyway.

As a former moral vegan I do wish that dairy and eggs could come without meat by-products, but it is what it is. Just reducing the meat that I eat makes me happy. I always hated eating meat that I didn't even enjoy, for the sake of my health and always feeling terribly sad about needing meat to stay healthy. I have been afraid of going back to my veggie days since that is when everything went south for me, but I understand so much more now and how I was doing things so wrong in the past. Very low cal, super low protein, tons of whole grains, either zero fat or high PUFA.

I've always been curious about a raw diet as well. I think raw vegan would be a mistake (tell me if you think I'm wrong) but raw fruit, raw coconut oil, raw dairy plus salt and gelatin sounds awesome. I make tons of beef jerky which I marinate in a homemade terriyaki sauce and then dehydrate on low heat, I don't know if that counts as raw meat but it is certainly the easiest way for me to eat meat when I do want it. I'm never going to make rules again, but if this is how I ate in general do you think that is good? I know it is mostly the same foods your are eating but I'm curious about the raw percentage that you are getting and if you think there is harm in not getting any cooked foods. For example is it necessary to get some easily digested concentrated energy from some cooked things?

What are your thoughts on iron for women? Mine tends to either be low or on the low end of normal.

I think there really must be something to cutting down the fat. That is the one thing I haven't done since I was vegan. Low cals, low carbs but never low fat.

Zach is offline Banned
    Hi PM!

I really liked your post because you think about some things that i think about all the time. I too dont actuslly like eating meat for the most part, mostly because i feel weird eating the flesh of another animal and that grosses me out and makes me sad. I also dont feel my best on a mostly animal product diet and think vegans have it part right about toxins, acidity, etc. there is no doubt that some animal products are needed for optimal health simoly because vegan alternatives just dont compare nutritionally and usually have negative health properties like estrogen, pufa, gluten, etc.

I also think a lot about raw diets and think that it is probably optimal to get most of your calories from raw sources. Cookin foods can have a lot of undesirable effects, specifically cooking with high temps and or burning food. Some foods like eggs are better cooked at least a bit but soft boiling is preferable to frying.

I actually think a 100% raw diet would probably be insanely healthy IF you could source good foods. Here is what i would consider a perfect raw diet.

At least 50% of calories from fruit and fruit juice.
    Daily raw milk and cheese.
    Weekly raw oysters and egg yolks.
    Optional semi weekly raw meat and organs from fish and beef. Also optional raw vegetables, coconut, olives, mushrooms, whatever else that tickles your fancy.

As you can see, this is almost exactly how i eat already except that im unable to find many of these things that are quality enough to eat raw and raw milk is illegal where i live. I see no reason at all to eat anything cooked unless you like it cooked or cant get quality foods.

If you end up going this route, please let us all know how it goes!

About iron, women do need more most likely but getting it from quality sources is really important. Fortified foods and plant sources of iron are garbage. Try to only get iron from quality animal sources.

And i agree, fst is the most important variable to keep in check. There is absolutely no positive aspect of getting more then 20-30% of your calories from fat.
    Last edited by Zach; 09-13-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks for the reply Zach,

This really does feel like it takes the best of all the diets that make a bit of sense and could be really amazing.

I can totally do that diet minus the oysters (I hate all food that comes from the water, except salmon is okay) and if you consider my jerky to be raw meat. I take 1T. of raw liver a day usually but have stopped recently out of laziness. I will start that again. I do have good food sources, fruit quality does go down in the winter of course but is still organic. I don't have a source of raw juice unless I make it at home though.

I feel extremely lucky to have the raw milk source that we do. I almost got cut off from it (she sold all but one cow) but she recognized how much it means to me, so I'm the only customer now and share what she gets from the remaining cow. We even have several other grass-fed raw sources nearby but they don't feel good to my body, especially in comparison. I don't think I would consider this type of diet without it.

Is there something wrong with eating raw eggs? I prefer a raw egg in milk to a soft boiled one. We do have a great source, so I'm not worried about illness.

I might feel differently about this when the weather changes and I want warm comfort foods, although my favorite of those is yams. Perhaps I could like those with less butter?

Keeping fat really low is hard for me but I'll try and focus on that. I have been pouring off the cream for butter but in a half gallon mason jar there is still around 1/4-1/2 inch of fat floating on top. It is just really hard to skim that off without it getting it mixed in. I don't know what percentage that makes it. It does start with 3-4 inches of fat, so I'm certainly getting the bulk of it.

Zach is offline Banned
    I hate oysters as well but i think they are really important. I buy smoked oysters, drains and rinse them then squish them up a bit and down them with a big cup of coffee. Im getting used to it.

I wouldnt call your jerky raw exactly but its probably just fine. Also i woulnt eat liver daily since it can suppress thyroid. Try to eat a bigger amount once a week or every other week.

Orange juice is probably the most nutritious of all fruits/juices so its great when there isnt much ripe fruit around.

Nothing wrong with eating raw yolks. White are ok too but they have avadin which binds to biotin and can cause dry skin, brittle nails and hair and other stuff. Egg protein isnt great either so its probably best to just take the yolks unless you cook the white a bit.

Probably the best way of cooking is makin soups and stews and slow cooking things so in the wintertime there is nothing wrong with that.

Avoiding fat is not necessary. Try to keep it under 60g most days under 30g once in awhile for fat loss.

I'll give it a go

I forgot about Carol Alt. She eats similar except with veggie fats