Page 105 of 113 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1124

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 105

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Sounds awesome man I'm excited to try. This is kinda like gymnastic stuff? I could see you getting into that, especially if you get really good at these exercises and really strong.
    Yea, gymnastics, calisthenics, balancing, its all similar. I love all that stuff.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Honestly i think if carbs are high, the body does not need a ton of protein.
    Why is this?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Why is this?
    When energy demans are meet via enough carbs and fat, the body uses all protein for building instead of tearing it down to hse as glucose which is what happens on a LC diet. I have seen studies that show when energy demands are met, the bodies nitrogen balance is achieved on as little as 40g a day for a full grown adult. I have also seen studies that say adding a pound of muscle a month requires and extra 5g of protein a day. No where near what supplement companies would have you believe. Lastly, human breastmilk is only 8-10% protein, if a baby can double its size on only 8%, why do full grown adults need upwards of 30%?

Anyway, even if i do drop meat entirely, i will still be getting anywhere from 100-150g a day (including protein from non animal sources), which is over 10% if i eat an average of 3000 calories. I know protein is used for other reasons but im not convinced that its a good thing to get a third of your calories from it.

simonb is offline Member
    In case anyone is interested, my diet has been exclusively fat free milk, cheese, ice cream, gelatin, chocolate, fruit/fruit juice, coconut oil, salt and occasional eggs. Been pretty strict and for me, this is it. Everything is just about how i have wanting and working for for a few years now. Stopped taking supplements as well a few days ago, i will keep on the adaptogens intermittently and t3/caffeine if i ever need a pick me up which i havent lately. Oh and i have been drinking good German beer and good wine probably 5 nights a week.
    are you losing weight on this??
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    are you losing weight on this??
    My diet has changed to higher carb, lower fat. But yes, im losing fat very quickly.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    When energy demans are meet via enough carbs and fat, the body uses all protein for building instead of tearing it down to hse as glucose which is what happens on a LC diet. I have seen studies that show when energy demands are met, the bodies nitrogen balance is achieved on as little as 40g a day for a full grown adult. I have also seen studies that say adding a pound of muscle a month requires and extra 5g of protein a day. No where near what supplement companies would have you believe. Lastly, human breastmilk is only 8-10% protein, if a baby can double its size on only 8%, why do full grown adults need upwards of 30%?

Anyway, even if i do drop meat entirely, i will still be getting anywhere from 100-150g a day (including protein from non animal sources), which is over 10% if i eat an average of 3000 calories. I know protein is used for other reasons but im not convinced that its a good thing to get a third of your calories from it.
    40g a day only? Would the diet be mostly carbs instead of fat then?

I'm 105 lbs and somewhere 20-24% body fat. 25% of calories in protein is around 100g. I have no idea if that is optimal or not but right now making an effort to keep protein at that level. If it's not protein I'd probably eat more carbs.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    "For intense exercise, it’s about a gram per pound of body weight."

"Many dietitians claim that exercise doesn’t increase the need for protein, but the Russians have found that a combination of exercise and increased protein intake can increase the muscle mass. In a woman, this process can not only improve grace and body proportions, but it also increases the body’s ability to burn up fat. Other nutrients are needed for using protein properly, and for maintaining optimum nerve functioning. However, if the exercise produces too much stress and not enough muscle action, muscle will atrophy as a result of cortisone’s shifting amino acid metabolism into glucose production. Lactic acid production (getting out of breath) is the main signal of the need to produce new glucose. Therefore, “aerobic” exercise is the most stressful. Cortisone not only causes atrophy of the skin, muscles, and immune system, but it even has been found the accelerate aging changes in the brain."

Since the other large neutral amino acids compete with tryptophan for entry into cells, the branched chain amino acids have some anti-serotonin activity, and this could be a justification for their use by athletes, since tryptophan and serotonin decrease glycogen stores and reduce endurance."

Digested protein is transported to the liver where it is used as food and has three important functions:

Growth and repair
    Formation of essential compounds, such as enzymes, hemoglobin, insulin, thyroid hormone, epinephrine, neurotransmitters and eye photoreceptors.
    Forms antibodies (immune system function).

Plasma proteins circulate in the blood to maintain homeostasis (balances pH, temperature, volume, blood pressure, tonicity, electrolytes, etc. Plasma proteins aren’t used a food. These have three basic functions:

Maintains pH (acid-alkaline balance) by buffering excess acid (H+) an alkalinity (OH-).
    Maintains water balance and the other functions important in homeostasis listed above.
    Transports nutrients (cholesterol, ionic calcium, hemoglobin, amino acids, etc.) and detoxifies wastes (dead pathogens and other wastes) and drugs (including prescription drugs).

Components of Daily Energy Expenditure – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

80g minimum for women, 1g per bw if you're doing any intense exercise.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    40g a day only? Would the diet be mostly carbs instead of fat then?

I'm 105 lbs and somewhere 20-24% body fat. 25% of calories in protein is around 100g. I have no idea if that is optimal or not but right now making an effort to keep protein at that level. If it's not protein I'd probably eat more carbs.
    Yea mostly carbs. I dont think 40g is optimal for anyone but just pointing out that more is not better and people can live on very little. Hell even Durianrider gets around 75g just from fruit! I think something like .75-1g per lb would be optimal most most people. If trying to lose fat or getting really muscular then more might be necessary. Also a good amount of that should come from a source with balanced aminos like dairy, broth, cuts of meat like ox tail and gelatin.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Zach, do you have to pee a lot on your diet? This past week I've been pissing clear like crazy. I know Matt Stone says that isn't good for metabolism. I woke up twice last night to pee for the first time in a while.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No i barely pee, maybe 4 times a day and never at night. I drink most of my diet too so i dont think its just about how much fluid you consume.

Have you been over exercising lately? I know you said you hsve doing quite a few runs on too of heavy lifting. My guess is you are stressing your body out a bit too much. Excess exercise, especially cardio really spikes stress hormones which slows metabolism and drops body temp, when that happens you lose a lot of fluid and it seems like your body wont hold fluids as well either.