Page 104 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1124

Thread: Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains. page 104

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    " I do a ton of calisthenics during the day whenever im bored. Handstand work, planche work, pullups, pushups, pistols and ab stuff like planks, l sits and knees to elbows."

Zach, I'm trying to incorporate more body weight stuff like this. Pushups, pullups, planks etc I'm fine. But I have serious trouble doing handstand work, pistol squats, l sits , and I can't even see where to begin doing planche work. How do you go about these moves?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    " I do a ton of calisthenics during the day whenever im bored. Handstand work, planche work, pullups, pushups, pistols and ab stuff like planks, l sits and knees to elbows."

Zach, I'm trying to incorporate more body weight stuff like this. Pushups, pullups, planks etc I'm fine. But I have serious trouble doing handstand work, pistol squats, l sits , and I can't even see where to begin doing planche work. How do you go about these moves?
    How strong are you? Some needs building up. I started doing this too, a few days ago.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Don't most vegans/veggies crash and burn eventually? I'm interested in what your thoughts are in preventing this, if you head down that path.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Don't most vegans/veggies crash and burn eventually? I'm interested in what your thoughts are in preventing this, if you head down that path.

Sent from my iPhone
    Nutrient deficiencies and undereating are the main culprits for vegans.

Max, ill answer when i get back to a computer.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Nutrient deficiencies and undereating are the main culprits for vegans.
    Yeah sounds about right, now that I think about it, good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Zach is offline Banned

Handstand work is kind of like the upper body version of squats, its a full body exercise and needs lots of practice to be good at it. Its mainly shoulder girdle strength and triceps so any sort of overhead pressing will help a lot with the strength aspect. The rest comes from practice. I think the best way to do this would be to work it every day or at least every other day. Start by just learning to kick up to a wall and hold a handstand for as long as you can. I could write a shit ton on the handstand alone and how to train it so let me know how much you want to know. Basically though, just get comfortable upside down and work on progressions like freestanding handstands, walking, handstand press, etc. There are tons of handstand progression guides on youtube. Another great exercise for shoulder strength is handstand wall runs. I put a video below.

The planche and lever are very advanced and only need work when the pushup, pullup and handstands are pretty easy stuff. I put a good planche progression below. Dont worry about levers until you can do L-sit pullups for reps and toes to bars.

Pistols are hard to get but once you get them they are awesome for leg strength. Start by doing pistol negative to roll where to do the negative portion of the pistol until you cant hold it, roll onto your back as fast as you can, roll forward again onto the same foot and use that momentum to finish the pistol. Also adding height to your heel makes a pistol easier so try that. L-sits are easy to progress, just use some books or whatever on either side of your body for your hands, chair arms work to, tuck your knees in and lift your body up. Work on not letting your lower back/butt sag behind your elbow, once you get that just slowly straighten your legs, or just straighten one leg. Knees to elbows and leg lifts help a lot with L sit strength.

Let me know if you got other questions. This stuff interests me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    How strong are you? Some needs building up. I started doing this too, a few days ago.
    I'm a lot stronger than I used to be - but probably 15-20 pounds heavier than a was a few months ago also. I can probably do 40 push ups straight, and 10 pullups straight with proper form now.

Thanks Zach. I can kick up to a wall with little problem and hold myself up with my arms. I'll try next to stop leaning against the wall and hold the hand stand.

I've never tried toes to bar, and I can hold an L-sit hanging from the bar for probably 10 seconds before my form goes to shit. Funny cause I can plank (on the floor) with proper form for probably 4-5 minutes if I wanted too. Levers are something I really want to do.

I've seen people using a bench to sit on to work on doing pistol squats. The negatives should help definitely.

Also, do you feel doing these everyday prevents recovery, or are they so light that the body doesn't actually need to recover like from lifting heavy weights. (I used to run everyday also for months at a time, just at different paces, so I can see how you can do them throughout the day every day).

Zach is offline Banned
    Thanks Zach. I can kick up to a wall with little problem and hold myself up with my arms. I'll try next to stop leaning against the wall and hold the hand stand.

I've never tried toes to bar, and I can hold an L-sit hanging from the bar for probably 10 seconds before my form goes to shit. Funny cause I can plank (on the floor) with proper form for probably 4-5 minutes if I wanted too. Levers are something I really want to do.

I've seen people using a bench to sit on to work on doing pistol squats. The negatives should help definitely.

Also, do you feel doing these everyday prevents recovery, or are they so light that the body doesn't actually need to recover like from lifting heavy weights. (I used to run everyday also for months at a time, just at different paces, so I can see how you can do them throughout the day every day).
    For wall handstands, try pushing away as far as possible and then just tapping away from the wall with your foot and finding the balance. Thats the next step before learning to do it without a wall. Also do those wall runs twice a week, it really strengthens your shoulders.

Start putting more leverage into your bodyweight work. If you can get 10 strict pullups then work on weighted pullups, L-sit pullups, one arm negatives, etc. Pushups, start doing strict planche placement pushups (palms at your sides), feet elevated pushups, etc. Planks either put your hands/elbows further out in front of your body or hands to your sides as far as you can reach, also start adding weight to your back. Do this with any bodyweight exercise that gets to easy. Progression with leverage and sometimes adding weight is key.

Its not the same as lifting maximal weights everyday. Bodyweight stuff definitely does not fry your CNS like deadlifts and squats do. I cycle the things that i do but i try to do something everyday. Some days a do a lot, some days i just hold a few handstands. Listen to what your body says.

Sounds awesome man I'm excited to try. This is kinda like gymnastic stuff? I could see you getting into that, especially if you get really good at these exercises and really strong.