Thread: Why does fish broth/cod liver oil has such a great effect on my brain? page

JohanJohan is offline Member

Why does fish broth/cod liver oil has such a great effect on my brain?

Primal Fuel
    Doing a lot of self experiments.

Going gluten free lifted my brain fog and made my brain feel focused. And made me feel it turned smaller(!) in a good way. Almost like it was inflammed before. Felt the same as i did 10 years ago. Hard to explain, but a mental state that changed for during the last 10 years and i thought was normnal ageing.

I reintroduced gluten. Symptoms came back. Stopped again. The initial feeling of focus and clarity didnt come this time as strong. But brain fog lifted a bit.

Tried fish broth after reading here. Clarity came back to 90%. Tried cod liver oil last week. The clarity came back 100% within 30 min. Stays almost all day. 1000mg pills.

Tried taking 8 pills at once thinking it was just cod liver oil. Head ache and the white area of my eyes got all read from bursted blood vessels it looked..

We have a lot of pros here. Whats your guess to whats going on here?

(100% paleo for 3 months now and eat fish once a week)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanJohan View Post
    Doing a lot of self experiments.

Going gluten free lifted my brain fog and made my brain feel focused. And made me feel it turned smaller(!) in a good way. Almost like it was inflammed before. Felt the same as i did 10 years ago. Hard to explain, but a mental state that changed for during the last 10 years and i thought was normnal ageing.

I reintroduced gluten. Symptoms came back. Stopped again. The initial feeling of focus and clarity didnt come this time as strong. But brain fog lifted a bit.

Tried fish broth after reading here. Clarity came back to 90%. Tried cod liver oil last week. The clarity came back 100% within 30 min. Stays almost all day. 1000mg pills.

Tried taking 8 pills at once thinking it was just cod liver oil. Head ache and the white area of my eyes got all read from bursted blood vessels it looked..

We have a lot of pros here. Whats your guess to whats going on here?

(100% paleo for 3 months now and eat fish once a week)
    Wanna explain this bolded part further? Took 8 pills of what? Sounds like you thought it was CLO, but it wasnt. How long till symptoms and how long did they last?

Other than that superdosing on any supplement should not be undertaken lightly or usually without a health practitioner overseeing it.

JohanJohan is offline Member
    8 pills of 1000mg cod liver oil soft gels or whatever they are called.

i didnt see it as a "supplement". i mean if i put rice in soft gels i can eat 100 of them without consulting anyone. i just thought -its some fish parts, whats the big deal.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    i'll take a stab here - fish oil supplementation can at high doses or for some individuals more than others can be a dramatic blood thinner. That your 'symptoms' happened so quickly seems odd to me.

Read a bit about this oil for brain fog:
    Amazon.com: NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care

Read the links on this site about oils or read the book. Good Luck!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    "What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

Seth Roberts, the infamous creator of the "Shangri-la" diet explains here how playing around with certain foods made his brain function better.

He mentions exactly the results you're getting from the cod liver oil when he supplemented with a daily tablespoon of flax seed oil which is also high in omega-3 fatty acids. Although to be fair, he suggests that ALA omega-3s found in flax might not be as bioavailable as those found in fish (EPA and DHA) so you might be having even BETTER results than he did simply because you're supplementing with more usable forms of omega-3 than he was.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanJohan View Post
    8 pills of 1000mg cod liver oil soft gels or whatever they are called.

i didnt see it as a "supplement". i mean if i put rice in soft gels i can eat 100 of them without consulting anyone. i just thought -its some fish parts, whats the big deal.
    Meh, I see CLO as the most food like supplement. But it really is still a concentrated food type. To use your analogy it would be more like somehow distilling and condensing rice into a rice syrup then puting it into a soft gel. But, really I digress cause at 8000mg of CLO I find your reaction quite odd as that really isn't a megadose anyhow. I really just wanted to make sure thats what you took 8 of since the wording left me wondering a bit.

Are you on any other medications such as blood thinners like cumadin?

I can say that the increase in mental function is frequently reported with supplementation of CLO, but your reaction is very odd. I'm kinda thinking that the reaction timing was just coincidentally around the time of your supplementing and it was perhaps a busted blood vessel that was bound to happen one way or another. Might need to follow up with someone if the headaches persist to rule out some brain stuff. You didn't say if symptoms have progressed or resolved?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It could have been a vitamin A overdose. Most cheap cod liver oils have vitamin a and d added it it. Could have been a pretty big dose in 8 pills.