Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5k coming up but don't want to run anymore, page

muffinz is offline Member

5k coming up but don't want to run anymore,

Now that I am learning to adopt a primal lifestyle, I've learned just how much I love taking long walks for exercise. I don't even want to run anymore...Problem is I had already signed up for a 5k next month (boyfriend did too) and I have no motivation to train because I'm so happy with primal eating and long slow walking. Okay, I'm being kinda lazy about this...do I really need to start jogging so I don't die during the race? I doubt simply walking will get me ready for it. I'm not going for time or anything like that, just for fun.

MrVigilante is offline Junior Member
    If you really don't want to run it, why not just walk it?

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVigilante View Post
    If you really don't want to run it, why not just walk it?
    Yup. No one says you have to run. Long slow jog is nice too.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    in theory if you do heavy weights and walk lots, you can still run 5k. prob 2x a year i bust out a 30 or so min hill run on the treadmill to prove the theory and i can easily do it once i get going so you may be fine.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Of course what you prefer to do is more important, but I'm wondering how your boyfriend feels about it. If I were him, I'd be a little pissed if you quit on me.

Are you guys not training buddies?

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I"m in the same mindset as you, except my race of choice has always been the half marathon, and now I don't care to run anymore. A 5k will be very doable for you, whether you choose to try a slow jog or to walk it. Every short race I've ever done has had walkers in it. If your boyfriend is OK with you being in the race together, but not completing it together, then he can run or jog or whatever is his pleasure, and he will be at the finish line to cheer you in when you arrive.

I used to share races with my brother. I would run my race, either a half marathon or a 10K, depending on the day, and he would walk the 5K (he's morbidly obese, so that was a major effort for him at the time). We would share the time before the race and I would be there to cheer him in at the end, or he would be there to cheer me in if it was a longer race. It was a nice experience.

I hope you and BF have a great day!

muffinz is offline Member
    Dur, why didn't it occur to me that I could walk it...guess because I've never done that before.

@sjmc: No, not training buddies, we each do our own thing. And nah, he's not the type to get pissed over something like that- it's not a huge deal and he's fine with walking/slow jogging the 5k with me after talking to him! I don't like how you phrased what I'm doing as "quitting on him" either, by the way. No need for that. My question was walking vs running, not dropping the whole thing.

Thanks all.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking for an excuse to run, I was planning on running a 5K but had to quit training due to ankle issues. So you could run it for me.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinz View Post
    Dur, why didn't it occur to me that I could walk it...guess because I've never done that before.

@sjmc: No, not training buddies, we each do our own thing. And nah, he's not the type to get pissed over something like that- it's not a huge deal and he's fine with walking/slow jogging the 5k with me after talking to him! I don't like how you phrased what I'm doing as "quitting on him" either, by the way. No need for that. My question was walking vs running, not dropping the whole thing.

Thanks all.
    I guess I misunderstood a bit, but in any case sorry, I am usually more careful with my wording. Good that you two are on the same page and I hope you guys have a good time. And that you get free t-shirts (best part).

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Worst case, he runs, you walk and he has to wait 20 minutes for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast